Matildas The Matildas Thread

I think that's right. I'd heard she'd been offered $1 million by Chelsea.

Yes, I think that was shortly after the World Cup. The UK women's season overlaps with the NWSL, so not sure whether Kerr will get a million for playing part of a season.

Jun 14, 2011
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC/NYY/LAL/Green Bay Packers/UW
Ellie Carpenter has confirmed she will not be playing for Canberra United this season. Her new club has not yet been revealed.

Just saw her and Kyah Simon hanging out at DFO Essendon. Melbourne City on the cards?

Interesting article from The Guardian on the future of the W-League.

Bullet point summary:

• Salary cap to be raised to $450,000 for the 2019-2020 season
  • Minimum hourly wage for W-League players to be brought into line with A-League players
  • Marquee player program to be continued, with each team able to field a marquee player whose salary sits outside the cap
  • International player quota will be increased as the league expands
  • Long-term aim to develop a maternity leave policy to include financial and job security, post-pregnancy player care and child care
  • Every A-League team must have a W-League team equivalent, with the long-term goal of having 16 W-League teams in total
  • Club social media accounts will be merged (Melbourne City has already done this, by scrapping their separate W-League account and directing all followers to their existing Melbourne City account)
  • Every club will be supported to develop girls' academies
  • Possible approach of having a national draft so academy players are picked by clubs and distributed across the W-League
  • Expanded home and away season with the long-term goal of parity with the A-League (30 rounds plus finals)
  • Striking a formal partnership with another domestic women's football competition overseas - likely to be the NWSL at first instance, but may also involve a league in Scandinavia or east Asia, so that there can be multi-year contracts and player loan agreements to and from the W-League
  • New ticketing and pricing system to centralise all club data
  • W-League match-day experience to be overhauled, including safe standing areas, more matches in A-League stadia, increased double-headers, pre-match fan zones, and half-time entertainment
  • $30 million Government grant to subsidise match broadcasts on Fox Sports and Kayo, with one game simulcast live on ABC on Sunday afternoons at 4.00pm, as well as the entire finals series

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Kerr scored the only goal of the NWSL semi final between Chicago and Portland this morning to guide the Stars into the final against North Carolina Courage.

Article on ABC News tonight basically confirmed Kerr will not play W League this season. Heading to Europe.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
Sam Kerr the player of the season in the Women's US league. Considering it's probably the best league in the world that really is something.

Sam Kerr the player of the season in the Women's US league. Considering it's probably the best league in the world that really is something.

First two time MVP in the NWSL.

I'm on the Stars to win the flag, but i think North Carolina will be too strong on Monday morning. Better team all round.

Ellie Carpenter signs with Melbourne City.

Ante Milicic announced his squad to take on Chile in a pair of friendlies next month.

Back