UEFA EURO 2020 (Italy Champions)

Galaxie77

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Spezia Calcio.
Italy win alright, beat the Greeks 2 nil. Always good to beat Greeks.
Def not a fan of the the green shirts though.... thankfully its a one off.
Navy blue instead of azure blue would have been just a lot better.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Suck s**t Spain you red peppered campaigners

Italy qualified with 3 games to spare I believe? ( or 2 )

Dane's pinch it late against the flow similar to how they beat Peru at last years World cup with the same campaigner scoring.

That late Norweigan goal means Kozi can't order Pizza tonight.

Suck s**t Spain you red peppered campaigners

Italy qualified with 3 games to spare I believe? ( or 2 )

Dane's pinch it late against the flow similar to how they beat Peru at last years World cup with the same campaigner scoring.

That late Norweigan goal means Kozi can't order Pizza tonight.
Why is Poulsen a campaigner?

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Arrizabalaga is very lucky he wasn’t given a second yellow this morning. He first gets a yellow card for taking out the forward and then as he’s complaining he shoves Michael Oliver in the back. Very silly when his place as Spain’s number 1 is never a sure thing.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Scotland Pub team 6 San Marino Church team 0.

Are Scotland the greatest underachievers in Europe? Or perhaps 6-0 against SM is overachieving by their recent standards?
What are Scotland really expected to do with a population of 5 million? They’ve definitely fallen though. Imo England are the biggest underachievers (55 million population - 6th highest registered players in the world) especially with some of the players we’ve had.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
What are Scotland really expected to do with a population of 5 million? They’ve definitely fallen though. Imo England are the biggest underachievers (55 million population - 6th highest registered players in the world) especially with some of the players we’ve had.
Croatia has 4.5 million and made the World Cup Final. Iceland has 350,000 and made a Euro semi and World Cup quarter final. Wales are better than Scotland, Northern Ireland are better than Scotland.

In fairness, a small population makes it difficult to achieve the ultimate success but Scotland’s recent history in qualifying for major tournaments is poor and in the past when they’ve made it, they haven’t got out of the group.

Scotland along with England have claims to being founders of Association Football. Both Scotland and England more or less refused to enter early incarnations of the World Cup because they considered it beneath them.

To have never got out of a group at a major finals tournament, to have not qualified for a major finals tournament in 20 years, to have not produced a genuine world class player in 30 or so years is pretty underwhelming.

I get that England have their issues but it’s pretty cut throat at the top - they’ve still won a World Cup. Have a really good strike rate of qualifying for major tournaments and get out of the group more often than not. Compared to Scotland, English problems are decidedly first world.

I submit that Scotland are the biggest football underachievers on earth.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Croatia has 4.5 million and made the World Cup Final. Iceland has 350,000 and made a Euro semi and World Cup quarter final. Wales are better than Scotland, Northern Ireland are better than Scotland.

In fairness, a small population makes it difficult to achieve the ultimate success but Scotland’s recent history in qualifying for major tournaments is poor and in the past when they’ve made it, they haven’t got out of the group.

Scotland along with England have claims to being founders of Association Football. Both Scotland and England more or less refused to enter early incarnations of the World Cup because they considered it beneath them.

To have never got out of a group at a major finals tournament, to have not qualified for a major finals tournament in 20 years, to have not produced a genuine world class player in 30 or so years is pretty underwhelming.

I get that England have their issues but it’s pretty cut throat at the top - they’ve still won a World Cup. Have a really good strike rate of qualifying for major tournaments and get out of the group more often than not. Compared to Scotland, English problems are decidedly first world.

I submit that Scotland are the biggest football underachievers on earth.
Association football originated in England not Scotland. Scotland v England was the first ever international football match played I believe.

England were not fifa members pre WWII so could not enter the World Cup, not sure about Scotland. Probably a bit of the old British arrogance about that but those first few world cups were pretty amateurish. Don’t forget you had to travel by boat to play there were no chartered flights back then.

Anyway I agree Scotland have a dreadful record at tournaments. They really should have done better particularly at the 74 and 78 world cups. Good call about Croatia having a similar population though. Scotland need to go back to the drawing board and look how countries with small populations succeed. I think they spend too much time comparing themselves to England when the reality is they can’t compete with England due to resources

So sterling targeted with racist chants and nazi salutes. If the team walked off, would the game result stand as it was at the time or be reduced to no result?

We need this crap denounced by the Bulgarian fa. And or by the hard right.

So sterling targeted with racist chants and nazi salutes. If the team walked off, would the game result stand as it was at the time or be reduced to no result?

We need this crap denounced by the Bulgarian fa. And or by the hard right.
Denounced by the hard right..? Not sure what you mean by this.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
The Bulgarian fans were riled up most of the game. They were whistling during the England national anthem which I found quite disrespectful but then it continued during the Bulgarian national anthem.

Class act by the Bulgarian keeper who went out and spoke to some of the home supporters before the start of the second half to try to put a stop to it.

Last edited:
Back