Traded Jonathon Patton [traded to Hawthorn for Future 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade of the century, How do GWS let a number one draft pick go for a future 4th?? absolutely criminal the way GWS have bent over for Hawthorne this year and last year. Hawthorn's List manager must be a magician.

Well they've traded Scully (1, 2009), O'Rourke (2, 2012) and now Patton (1, 2011) to Hawthorn without anything approaching that coming back.

If you could keep a list of 50 players and there as no salary cap they wouldn't have let Patton go. But you can't and there is, so footy is a business. Would you pay $1m+ for the 2019 output of Tom Scully and Jonathan Patton for your team?

It's a salary dump.....Giants cap is exploding, while Hawks has ample room.....It's called good list-management.
Ooh.
That's the nicest thing you've ever said about us.

And you are right. To make a play for re-signing some stars we needed Tomlinson and Pattons salaries gonesky.
And now they are.

Though "exploding" is a massive exaggeration.

Well they've traded Scully (1, 2009), O'Rourke (2, 2012) and now Patton (1, 2011) to Hawthorn without anything approaching that coming back.

If you could keep a list of 50 players and there as no salary cap they wouldn't have let Patton go. But you can't and there is, so footy is a business. Would you pay $1m+ for the 2019 output of Tom Scully and Jonathan Patton for your team?

We gave up a first for O'Rourke which was probably over his value to that point.

If salaries were publicly disclosed like the NBA so fans could do their own cap calculator and see how it all works then these deals could make a lot more sense.

Selling the reason for a trade as a salary cap dump doesn't really work if there's no transparency around the numbers.

It could be a free art lesson, doesn't mean you have to join in the lesson just to tell everyone you hate painting.
No one's really doing that though from what i've seen, there just discussing the trade, seems to me you've seen some opinions that have upset you and now you are having a whinge about it.

If salaries were publicly disclosed like the NBA so fans could do their own cap calculator and see how it all works then these deals could make a lot more sense.

Selling the reason for a trade as a salary cap dump doesn't really work if there's no transparency around the numbers.

Yep, if this was the NBA you might see GWS giving Hawthorn pick upgrades to take the contract off their hands.

More correctly, the deal was...
Hawthorn took on Patton for a token pick and a big chunk of salary cap.
GWS received a token pick and freed up a lot of cap space.

The cap was the big part of the trade.

Nah.
Both injury prone and gave as good service as they could to the club. So really have no concerns and wish them the best.
Trading out Scully meant we kept Cogs and Kelly.
Reckon it's the same this year. We lose Tomlinson and Patton which in turn allows us to keep Whitfield and Cameron.
Not saying that GWS didn't want this as well but for a future 4th. A good trade for a guy who might play football again and if anyone could get him back to his best it would be the Hawks but it wasn't even their pick they gave up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More correctly, the deal was...
Hawthorn took on Patton for a token pick and a big chunk of salary cap.
GWS received a token pick and freed up a lot of cap space.

The cap was the big part of the trade.

And from today onward Patton's existing contract with GWS is irrelevant. He will sign for however many years and however many dollars as agreed with Hawthorn. They don't have to pay him his contracted 2020 amount. So while they are taking on his contract, they aren't really taking on his contract. They can offer him an average wage over the next 3 years say and then reassess. Scully would have cost more because he still had 3 years left to run on his contract.

If the AFL actually held players to their contracts it would impact trade week. If Hawthorn had to pay Patton a big fat salary next year (beyond that to be negotiated) would they still take him on? Would they take him on and expect a juicy pick upgrade for doing so?

Scully was alright this year but Patton was injured. Given GWS have Kelly and Whitfield, Scully would of been surplus So I understand why GWS don't need either. I just don't understand how Hawthorn got them so cheap??

I just don't understand how Hawthorn got them so cheap??

Because Hawthorn genuinely overpaid for both players in trade value. Scully was diabolical this year and Patton was worth a seventh rounder at most. Not to mention th fact that Hawthorn have kindly helped us clear more room for Coniglio and Whitfield.... Wrighty and Clarko have been incredibly generous to us in my opinion.

My question is if GWS can get rid of a guy like Patton so they can keep there stars, What the F#ck happened to Gold Coast??

Because Hawthorn genuinely overpaid for both players in trade value. Scully was diabolical this year and Patton was worth a seventh rounder at most. Not to mention th fact that Hawthorn have kindly helped us clear more room for Coniglio and Whitfield.... Wrighty and Clarko have been incredibly generous to us in my opinion.
Wow what a sour human 😂

For everyone who is confused about the Patton trade, who else was or should have been interested and what should they have offered?

I'm lucky in that my team has a gun old key forward, a gun forward around the same age as Patton and a couple of young forwards coming through - two of whom at least look AFL standard already if they don't become stars. Our interest in Patton would be zero at any price. Richmond with Riewoldt and Lynch would be in the same boat. GWS obviously don't need/want him any more. Carlton have players better and younger, North just have Brown, St Kilda who knows what they are up to...

So who? Melbourne? Collingwood? Geelong? Patton is similar to Hawkins but younger and injury prone. The Cats seem unwilling to give up anything of value for Jack Steven, I can't see them ponying up a pick inside 50. Etc.

Embarrassing post

I think its a win/win for both clubs.
GWS get to free up some cap space to keep guys like Jezza and Whitfield, and Hawthorn pay next to nothing for a guy who under the right circumstances develop into a great forward target.
This. With the talent on the Giants list they aren't too concerned here especially since they have struggled to keep him fit and have been pretty handy without him. However he was probably a decent chunk on the books that was better spent elsewhere.

For the Hawks, they get a player with great potential at a cheap price, it's a low risk trade and potentially high or at least mid sized reward.

You can't really pot either decision, it suits both clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back