Traded Jonathon Patton [traded to Hawthorn for Future 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

What is it that drags all the dregs from unrelated clubs into a thread to pot shot a bloke that gets traded from one club to another?

GWS and Hawthorn supporters are both happy with the outcome. Absolutely no care for whether or not a Bulldogs, Saints or Tigers supporter thinks the deal or the player is any good.

To be fair then, why are you reading this thread?! You can get opinions from hawks fans on our board.

Its a free and anonymous online forum. Of course there are salty wums!

Because Hawthorn genuinely overpaid for both players in trade value. Scully was diabolical this year and Patton was worth a seventh rounder at most. Not to mention th fact that Hawthorn have kindly helped us clear more room for Coniglio and Whitfield.... Wrighty and Clarko have been incredibly generous to us in my opinion.

No he wasn't dude. All this hyperbole, you sound like a jilted lover.

"Diabolical." Lol.

Are Hawthorn ever going to pay GWS for anything? Lol. Consecutive years and consecutive future 4th round picks for former Number 1 draft picks...doesn't make sense to me. I understand the salary dump part, but these are essentially free agents, just walking to Hawthorn for a token pick. Scrimshaw, former Pick 7...same thing.

This is honestly a genuine question, is Hawthorn's 'network' of assistant coaches giving them favourable deals at clubs they have connections with?

It's not like it's just a one off anymore. Scully, Scrimshaw and Patton all former Top 10 picks, all for nothing picks and still with a fair chunk of their careers left.

It's all getting a bit odd, and frankly, a little suspect

Are Hawthorn ever going to pay GWS for anything? Lol. Consecutive years and consecutive future 4th round picks for former Number 1 draft picks...doesn't make sense to me. I understand the salary dump part, but these are essentially free agents, just walking to Hawthorn for a token pick. Scrimshaw, former Pick 7...same thing.

This is honestly a genuine question, is Hawthorn's 'network' of assistant coaches giving them favourable deals at clubs they have connections with?

It's not like it's just a one off anymore. Scully, Scrimshaw and Patton all former Top 10 picks, all for nothing picks and still with a fair chunk of their careers left.

It's all getting a bit odd, and frankly, a little suspect
I think it is just part of getting deals done with clubs and dealing in good faith.

We also gave up Hill for 23 and Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge for very little.

I don’t understand why gws let themselves get shafted like that Patton was still worth a 2nd rounder if hawthorn didn’t want to cough up then tell them to go and get f## and send him to the draft they had nothing to lose a 4 rd pick is worthless

About bloody time.

Why did it take this long if they were going to settle for a future 4th round pick?

GWS really wanted a 3rd round is my guess.

But common sense took over. We got a cheap replacement for roughy, while Mitchell Lewis matures, and GWS now have money to keep Whitfield.

It was the most obvious trade of them all, but no point in GWS not trying for thr 3rd pick.

Its not like they waited until last minute of the final day.

Both clubs should be happy. Next step is Patton msking sure he does everything the doctors and physios and fitness guys tell him.

Just has to look at OMeara and Scully to see the benefits.

I think it is just part of getting deals done with clubs and dealing in good faith.

We also gave up Hill for 23 and Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge for very little.

Mmm, but it seems like the good faith only goes one way at the moment. Hawthorn haven't exactly given anything favourable to GWS or Gold Coast in recent years.

Hill was to Lyon, who wasn't a Clarkson 'protege.' Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge were all on the wrong side of 30 and were let go for token picks. Same with Birchall. It's not like you guys have given up someone in your 23-28 age gap. Also, both clubs involved in the 3 aforementioned trades have Dew and Cameron - former Clarkson assistant coaches - as their head coaches.

Hell, Brendan Bolton got involved in the O'Meara deal a few years back and absolutely sold Carlton down the river, to help out Hawthorn. Carlton haven't received anything in return since, either. I honestly just see Hawthorn getting all their players for nothing picks, but not really giving anything back.

Maybe this'll change in the future, but the last few years just paints a picture of assistant coaches looking to 'pay back' their 'ol head coach and getting very little back the other way.

Mmm, but it seems like the good faith only goes one way at the moment. Hawthorn haven't exactly given anything favourable to GWS or Gold Coast in recent years.

Hill was to Lyon, who wasn't a Clarkson 'protege.' Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge were all on the wrong side of 30 and were let go for token picks. Both clubs involved in the 3 aforementioned trades have Dew and Cameron - former Clarkson assistant coaches - as their head coaches.

Hell, Brendan Bolton got involved in the O'Meara deal a few years back and absolutely sold Carlton down the river, to help out Hawthorn. Carlton haven't received anything in return since, either. I honestly just see Hawthorn getting all their players for nothing picks, but not really giving anything back.

Maybe this'll change in the future, but the last few years just paints a picture of assistant coaches looking to 'pay back' their 'ol head coach and getting very little back the other way.

Carlton are getting Pittonet for little fuss from Hawthorn.

They will do very well. Pittonet is 1 year from being a very good ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton are getting Pittonet for little fuss from Hawthorn.

They will do very well. Pittonet is 1 year from being a very good ruckman.

Pittonet is going to cost more in draft picks though, than Patton. One was taken at Pick 50, the other at Pick 1. He's also a fringe player, not Best 22. Fair difference in worth IMO, yet Pittonet will probably cost more.

It’s happened too many times; the AFL integrity unit should investigate.

A number 1 draft pick coming into his prime..in a side that could only manage to score 13 points in a grand final...all for a forth rounder...I call BS on that

Pittonet is going to cost more in draft picks though, than Patton. One was taken at Pick 50, the other at Pick 1. He's also a fringe player, not Best 22. Fair difference in worth IMO, yet Pittonet will probably cost more.
Pitto hasn't done 3 ACLs and isn't taking up a significant chunk of salary cap. We wouldn't mind keeping him. GWS simply couldn't keep blokes like Patton and Scully if they want to retain blokes like Whitfield, Cameron etc etc in the future.

A number 1 draft pick coming into his prime..in a side that could only manage to score 13 points in a grand final...all for a forth rounder...I call BS on that
Your just jealous you guys aren't our go to for cast offs anymore.

Pitto hasn't done 3 ACLs and isn't taking up a significant chunk of salary cap. We wouldn't mind keeping him. GWS simply couldn't keep blokes like Patton and Scully if they want to retain blokes like Whitfield, Cameron etc etc in the future.

Mmm, but my question is more, why is it Hawthorn that keeps profiting off of these scenarios and why is it from clubs that have former Clarkson proteges? I mean, realistically, he's still worth Pick 42 at least, even if it is a salary dump. He's still got more than 5 years left to play, and he's a former Pick 1 KPF.

Just getting a bit suss the more it happens. The Bolton one still sticks in my mind, as that was just bizarre that Carlton got in the middle of that.

When you word it like that of course it looks bad, how about this.

A player coming off 3 ACL's that hasn't played in over 12 months on a big contract whilst playing for a good team with little cap space.

Mmm, but my question is more, why is it Hawthorn that keeps profiting off these scenarios and why is it from clubs that have former Clarkson proteges? I mean, realistically, he's still worth Pick 42 at least, even if it is a salary dump. He's still got more than 5 years left to play, and he's a former Pick 1 KPF.

Just getting a bit suss the more it happens. The Bolton one still sticks in my mind, as that was just bizarre that Carlton got in the middle of that.
To answer the first question i would say it is smart player targeting. We have targeted players that needed to be moved on so they haven't had much leverage. The second part is he may be worth pick 42 but the Giants needed to move him, if we hold strong because we need that pick for Finn the Giants don't really have the ability to threaten to hold him.

We want Pittonet and will be sad to see him go. GWS will be a little sad Patton moves on but very happy about the financial benefit.

And we wont get a huge amount for Pittonet. Id be amazed if its a 2nd round. Except its a 3rd round.

It could be a 4th round. And that wouldnt surprise me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back