News Gone: Hugh Greenwood traded to Gold Coast for 2020 3rd, 4th round picks

Remove this Banner Ad

The other thing to note is you can accept a crappy deal here if we had a kid in our reserves who we're planning to pump games into, just to clear the path for him so to say. We don't have that seeing we lack young big bodied midfielders.

Like, I get the whole "get picks for next year" thought process because if this NGA hype materializes, we (and a few others) are going to be in for a hellish time scrounging points, but initially, I'm with you, I would have rather retained Greenwood.
Maybe they actually plan on giving Poholke a decent run.

We would have been far better keeping Greenwood and Keath compared to what we got for them at the trade table.

If we wanted more list space just delist Mackay.
We have too much cap space taken up by mid - long term contracts to veterans already .

I really like Keath and Hughy , but they would have cost us around 900 k x 3 years , better to bank picks , blood the youngsters and free up that space .

Kinda sucks it was those 2 but we painted ourselves into this position now we have to be bold and decisive right now to kick start this list reconstruction .

When Lynch + Tex come off the books we should be in good position heading into 2021-2022 to attack some FA big fish .

Last edited:

Doesn't take a genius to see Bolton was getting sacked at some point during the year if they were looking at another spoon finish.

Nor does it take a genius to realize our club had huge issues lingering under the surface from the previous year which were going to surface at some point
Okay nostradamus

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only saving grace is we're likely to be a key player as to why that draft is compromised with two kids in our academy who are looking very promising.
This. We were after the points, not picks.
Think someone posted that they add up to a pick in the mid 20s points wise

Not sure about that, no one in their right mind would trade 4 for 9 & 19 or what was 3 for 8 & 19
Apart from the Gibbs trade Reid was done between average and well in all trades
This one needs to be viewed as a move to secure Edwards & Borlase next year without losing our first rounder

If this is how we rate Greenwood, our rating system is wrong
They had us over a barrel

This was a guy we weren't picking. What does a reserves player cost in a trade? Peanuts.

We picked Riley Knight ahead of Greenwood and what's he worth... pick 90 at best?

The same with Lyons. What could we really ask in return for a fringe player?

Forget that Lyons and Greenwood are actually capable of very good football. We drove down their price with our selections.

Aaaaaaand I have to get a new avatar now :(

They had us over a barrel

This was a guy we weren't picking. What does a reserves player cost in a trade? Peanuts.

We picked Riley Knight ahead of Greenwood and what's he worth... pick 90 at best?

The same with Lyons. What could we really ask in return for a fringe player?

Forget that Lyons and Greenwood are actually capable of very good football. We drove down their price with our selections.

Aaaaaaand I have to get a new avatar now :(

Playing Douglas and keeping Greenwood in the SANFL really paid off.

The PSD is only a threat if the player doesn't want to stay. It sounds like Greenwood would have stayed had we made the right offer.

So you leverage that position against Gold Coast, saying we are happy to keep him if the trade value isn't right. And honestly, wouldn't have been upset keeping Greenwood if all that was on the table was a 3rd rounder

Greenwood doesn’t stay for our offer though. He knows he’s getting to the Suns on the 3 year deal that they’ve offered him.

Even if we accept the gymnastics to come to accept this was our game along, if we accept that we weren’t trying to get pick 20 all along, even if we tie ourselves up in all the mental knots needed to think we have a plan - why did we need bank points now and not next year or at the live draft?

Because none of it is true

It’s just a s**t deal

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if we accept the gymnastics to some how accept this was our game along, if we accept that we weren’t trying to get pick 20 all along, even if we tie ourselves up in all the mental knots needed to think we have a plan - why did we need bank points now and not next year or at the live draft?

Because none of it is true

It’s just a s**t deal
And how would a better deal and more points have harmed us next season?

Maybe they actually plan on giving Poholke a decent run.
Last year of Poholke's contract and it's make or break for him. Showed plenty in the SANFL and got injured at the wrong time when he might have got another crack.

It's likely we'll get more of a look at him in 2020.

If you don’t think it did why bother replying with personal abuse? Just put me on ignore

For someone as regularly derided as you, I’d have thought you would know what abuse is

How about you lift your game and stop being such an asinine toady at all times?

No needs to read that BACCS thinks the club got it right, that’s the default

Not sure why this myth keeps getting perpetuated. They don’t add up to a ‘Pick’ in the mid 20’s, they add up to the points value of a pick in the mid twenties, no one in their right mind would trade the picks we got for a mid twenties pick. What is massively disappointing is that those two picks could be shifted back 5-10 places each next year, after PP’s, NGA’s and FS selections who are in the top 20.

Seeing as Dogs are trading 32 to Saints, who’ll probably get a 3rd round sweetener, that’ll leave their other two shitty 3rd rounders to throw at us, and if today’s trade with Greenwood is anything to go by, I’d say we’ll take it.

I really hope Reid has something up his sleeve in regards to getting another quality player in from GWS, Maybe give Jenkins and P4 to Melb for P3 and really take GWS to the cleaners. Make them feel like they’ve no option but to offer Hately up.

Devasted the Port have now managed to get picks again right in the zone of a player we want, last year Rozee, this year Gould.

We lack imagination at this time of the year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not sure why this myth keeps getting perpetuated. They don’t add up to a ‘Pick’ in the mid 20’s, they add up to the points value of a pick in the mid twenties, no one in their right mind would trade the picks we got for a mid twenties pick. What is massively disappointing is that those two picks could be shifted back 5-10 places each next year, after PP’s, NGA’s and FS selections who are in the top 20.

Seeing as Dogs are trading 32 to Saints, who’ll probably get a 3rd round sweetener, that’ll leave their other two shitty 3rd rounders to throw at us, and if today’s trade with Greenwood is anything to go by, I’d say we’ll take it.

I really hope Reid has something up his sleeve in regards to getting another quality player in from GWS, Maybe give Jenkins and P4 to Melb for P3 and really take GWS to the cleaners. Make them feel like they’ve no option but to offer Hately up.

Devasted the Port have now managed to get picks again right in the zone of a player we want, last year Rozee, this year Gould.

You mean right in the zone of the player you want.

We want Gould? Really?

You know this? How?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back