Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is that a dig at Scott?

Seems more of a dig at our forwards who generally have failed to fire in finals over recent times
I wouldnt expect the person who couldnt even get that wells saying "pick 37 is off the table" meant pick 37 is currently off the table to be able to read between the lines.

Now you are just going stupid trying to protect your hero coach. Stanley is not one of the worst rucks, not by a long way. He's not the best, but easily in the 6-8 area imo.

You have grundy, gawn and goldstein at the top, and guys like nick nat, stef martin, kruezer etc and I would put stanley in that bunch.

Not to mention Stanley didn't disgrace himself once selected. Was probably the best ruckman on the ground against Richmond.

I wouldnt expect the person who couldnt even get that wells saying "pick 37 is off the table" meant pick 37 is currently off the table to be able to read between the lines.
I think everyone understood Wells fine - it was quite clear to everyone else what was going one and that the club wasn't prepared to part with 37 based on the deal on the table

You were the one saying that Wells just need to hand over 37 to get the deal done and he was being stubborn not doing so - seems Wells & co holding off was the right thing and that they actually know what they're doing

That being said - still has nothing to do with your previous post and the fact that Dangers words have nothing to do with Scott

Now you are just going stupid trying to protect your hero coach. Stanley is not one of the worst rucks, not by a long way. He's not the best, but easily in the 6-8 area imo.

You have grundy, gawn and goldstein at the top, and guys like nick nat, stef martin, kruezer etc and I would put stanley in that bunch.

You claim Stanley is a top 6-8 ruck in the competition while calling me “going stupid”!! Bahahahaha!!

Stanley gets dropped to our reserves for a reason. In no world is he a decent ruck. His average and would be a backup at most clubs

You claim Stanley is a top 6-8 ruck in the competition while calling me “going stupid”!! Bahahahaha!!

Stanley gets dropped to our reserves for a reason. In no world is he a decent ruck. His average and would be a backup at most clubs

He is no star, but he is our best ruckman and quite comfortably too.

Probably agree. It says a lot about the rest of them thought.
And surely that is the point. We have tried to make Stanley into a ruckman, with so- so effect. The problem though is the madness to not say you are our ruck, you will play every game in that role, we will work with you to improve your skill as a ruck, we trust your skills to play you in a final.
We did none of that.

And surely that is the point. We have tried to make Stanley into a ruckman, with so- so effect. The problem though is the madness to not say you are our ruck, you will play every game in that role, we will work with you to improve your skill as a ruck, we trust your skills to play you in a final.
We did none of that.

I’m sure they have worked all they can to improve his skills as a ruck. I don’t think that is something in question.

When it comes to Stanley rucking the best you can hope for is he nullifies the opposition ruck and wins around the ground. The difference between his best and worst is just off the charts and can become embarrassing to watch.

He has put several ruckman on the map and handed out BOG’s all over the place.

His worst which is frequent just can’t be had at AFL level

Name 8 rucks who are better. Bar the top 3 most of the afl’s rucks are average. He is no worse than most of the rucks in the afl.

He’s not grundy, gawn or goldy though. He’s better than soldo or nank. But richmond didn’t need a star ruck cause their coach isn’t stupid enough to drop his rucks and play a defender instead.

I’m sure they have worked all they can to improve his skills as a ruck. I don’t think that is something in question.

When it comes to Stanley rucking the best you can hope for is he nullifies the opposition ruck and wins around the ground. The difference between his best and worst is just off the charts and can become embarrassing to watch.

He has put several ruckman on the map and handed out BOG’s all over the place.

His worst which is frequent just can’t be had at AFL level

The problem is though, as far as handing out BOGs to opposition ruckmen he isn't even in Blicavs' league. And guess who Scott decides to play in the ruck in our first final?

Stanley - this finals series - was competitive and did nullify the opposition. Blicavs was destroyed. But only one of them gets dropped for a ridiculous reason.

Name 8 rucks who are better. Bar the top 3 most of the afl’s rucks are average. He is no worse than most of the rucks in the afl.

He’s not grundy, gawn or goldy though. He’s better than soldo or nank. But richmond didn’t need a star ruck cause their coach isn’t stupid enough to drop his rucks and play a defender instead.

He's so dumb he even played Grimes in defence instead of the wing. Fool.

He is average. But it was still madness to drop him for blicavs.

Bomber thompson never pulled moves this bad.

The problem is though, as far as handing out BOGs to opposition ruckmen he isn't even in Blicavs' league. And guess who Scott decides to play in the ruck in our first final?

Stanley - this finals series - was competitive and did nullify the opposition. Blicavs was destroyed. But only one of them gets dropped for a ridiculous reason.

I just simply think they had a bigger picture in mind and plan as to why they did it that you and others just can’t comprehend. And also about the handing out BOG’s I wouldn’t say so. Stanley have them out a lot this year to the point he got dropped. That game against port was an embarrassment to watch.

You don’t think the bleeding obvious question of should we move blicavs to full back was discussed in the coaches box amongst all the assistants including Scarlett enright knights lappin and co and discussed?? And for gameplan reasons shut down.

Unless you can tell me exactly why Scarlett enright Scott knights all couldn’t put forward a more persuasive argument to put him to FB, I just declare the whole thing amateur opinion outrage over things they don’t understand.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is average. But it was still madness to drop him for blicavs.

Bomber thompson never pulled moves this bad.

The two greatest coaching blunders in geelong recent history and probably the no1 finals choke of all time happened under bomber. The 08 grand final was just outcoached badly by clarkson, and 010 prelim was an embarrassment of a loss to a side Scott beat 3 times the next season.

Go ask the Richmond board if they would like to trade nankervis for Stanley. I reckon they would tell you outright no.

Your overrating Stanley quite a bit

Go ask the Richmond board if they would like to trade nankervis for Stanley. I reckon they would tell you outright no.

Your overrating Stanley quite a bit
Well you believe scott is a brilliant coach, so your credibility is worth zero.

He is an ok coach who makes dumb mistakes. And never learns from them.

Hi all. I’m a nebie here. Been a strong cat fan for 50 years.
Why won’t someone in the media, point the finger at the right person, responsible for the Cats failure to flag in 8 years? 7 finals.
3-4 PF, 2 or 3 as minor premier or 2nd. Out in straight sets often.
Before 2019, Lost 2 PF badly to eventual loser GF.

SCOTT.
I said several years ago cats can’t win another flag with Scott as coach.
He’s smart. Become darling of the media. He deflects the hard issues very well. That post bye record is ridiculous. To him, irrelevant.
Best H&A record any coach over 200 games , ever! Win flag 1st year.
BUT last 8 years, surely 1 if not 2 flags in there for any half decent coach. I’ve NEVER rated Chris Scott & still don’t.

2011, I grant he refreshed/ revitalised group. Maybe worth 10-15% of flag. I think almost anyone could have coached that group.
SERENDIPITY!

Even if you grant him full claim to 2011, hard facts are, in 8 years since, now condemn him. Finals record is atrocious.

Chairman/board complicit. Extending when no need. Rare for coaches to get poached.
Look at president Carter’s speech 2 previous PF to this one. Said we’ve had a fantastically successful year! Really? in fact very BAD 4th. If you’re in 20’s, playing for the Cats, earning nice $ & hear that. What do you do? Sounds like what I did is good enough, so cruise time for me. Rather than the huge extra effort that is the hallmark of premiers.

Scott seems like a nice guy. But why are we all here? Only reason is to win flags (H&A irrelevant) & with 7 chances in 8 years; 4-5 of them VERY good chances, Scott has PROVEN he can’t do it anymore.

TIME FOR A CHANGE (of coach).

Thanks,

Pete, a very frustrated Cats fan.
You could write a letter?

The two greatest coaching blunders in geelong recent history and probably the no1 finals choke of all time happened under bomber. The 08 grand final was just outcoached badly by clarkson, and 010 prelim was an embarrassment of a loss to a side Scott beat 3 times the next season.
Nope not even close. There are 5 in the Scott era that are far worse.

I think everyone understood Wells fine - it was quite clear to everyone else what was going one and that the club wasn't prepared to part with 37 based on the deal on the table

You were the one saying that Wells just need to hand over 37 to get the deal done and he was being stubborn not doing so - seems Wells & co holding off was the right thing and that they actually know what they're doing

That being said - still has nothing to do with your previous post and the fact that Dangers words have nothing to do with Scott

Stephen wells what a champion Geelong man probably one my favourite people in the whole club.

I thought he had a really great trade period in difficult circumstances. I man with high integrity gets deals done and has good relationships with most clubs.

Draft picks Jack Steven in the 50's with cash paid and Jerka Jenkins for depth with cash paid by the crows. With something coming back and he has a handful of draft picks he gets to use as a little present for himself

Not sure they are bigger coaching blunders than Chapman as the sub, Menzel out for Zuthrie, and Rucking Blicavs instead of Stanley.

08 GF we kicked poorly - it cost us, wasn’t necessarily a massive coaching error. 2010 Collingwood were the best side, they deserved that flag.

Not sure they are bigger coaching blunders than Chapman as the sub, Menzel out for Zuthrie, and Rucking Blicavs instead of Stanley.

08 GF we kicked poorly - it cost us, wasn’t necessarily a massive coaching error. 2010 Collingwood were the best side, they deserved that flag.

Clarkson came up with a game plan that was designed to beat our ball movement and it succeeded. Thompson had no answer for it come the big dance. He failed us big time in 08. The gap between us and hawthorn that year was the size of the Grand Canyon. Yet we lost by four goals.

Officially the worst choke in a finals. Should have never happened.

Collingwood clearly weren’t the better side, a severely weakened geelong outfit in 2011 against that same collingwood side beat them 3/3 times under Scott. We were clearly a better team with just a poor gameplan under Thompson.

Thompson actually asked the players at the end of 2009 if they wanted to change the game plan and the players said no.

What sort of coach has to ask his players if they feel like changing a game plan?? Do you think clarkson gets permission??

He cost us 2008 and also 2010 imo. 2010 is proven by 2011, and 2008 just speaks for itself as quite embarrassing.

I have no doubt Scott would have won us 4-5 flags if he had that group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back