Carlton - How did they get to here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now they want him back when he is 40
He improved the likes of Garlett and Yarran, one would say he has done the same for cameron and stengle. He seems like an obvious choice to go into coaching post career and we don't have any small forward at the minute.

Why wouldn't we give him 1-2 years leading into a coaching career in the position we are in?

Carlton list was a shambles when Malthouse left.

Absolutely this.

The Malthouse era was all about Malthouse, the playing list's long-term health was never once considered. I'm not sure most people fully understand the absolutely diabolical state our list was in once his ego trip ended.

He improved the likes of Garlett and Yarran, one would say he has done the same for cameron and stengle. He seems like an obvious choice to go into coaching post career and we don't have any small forward at the minute.

Why wouldn't we give him 1-2 years leading into a coaching career in the position we are in?

Because he looks officially done as a player. He was a massive fail in the last half of the year. He is done. If you offer him 2 years as a player then that is ridiculous. Daisy Thomas was playing twice as good football as Eddie last year

Absolutely this.

The Malthouse era was all about Malthouse, the playing list's long-term health was never once considered. I'm not sure most people fully understand the absolutely diabolical state our list was in once his ego trip ended.

Malthouse did 6, more like 8, years worth of extreme damage to the club.

Possibly the worst hire in club history.

Because he looks officially done as a player. He was a massive fail in the last half of the year. He is done. If you offer him 2 years as a player then that is ridiculous. Daisy Thomas was playing twice as good football as Eddie last year
Thomas gets replaced by Docherty though who is an AA HBF and a clear upgrade, Betts replaces a guy like Deluca.

It will be 1 year with the option of a 2nd/coaching role if he retires. I wouldn't be so quick to call him done, he only kicked 27 goals in his final year at Carlton.

Was better than David Mckay if we want to talk about what is and isn’t ridiculous..

What I can't understand is why Carlton didn't offer a Future 1st for Tom Papley

Then Pick 9 for Jack Martin and Pick 15
Still have a 1st rounder this year in pick 15

What I can't understand is why Carlton didn't offer a Future 1st for Tom Papley

Then Pick 9 for Jack Martin and Pick 15
Still have a 1st rounder this year in pick 15
Tom Papley wasn't for sale.

Three-way trade with Swans and Dons never happened.

Martin will be picked up by us in the PSD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Papley wasn't for sale.

Three-way trade with Swans and Dons never happened.

Martin will be picked up by us in the PSD

Yeah Sydney were not letting Papley go without getting Danniher. They obviously don't want to be scoring an average of 25 points per game next year.

Why won't Melbourne or GC suns grab him via PSD?

GC will surely not pick a player who clearly does not want to be there.

Melbourne might, but he has made it clear he wants to get to Carlton. If they’re thinking about it he may simply price them out of it.

Rough period for Carlton. Really thought that they’d get Papley and Martin and thought they’d be the perfect fit for their list. Wasn’t anything they could do about Papley, offer was fair but Sydney decided to keep him. Not sure what the Martin offer was and not sure if they could’ve done more.

Thought Butler would’ve been a good fit for them too. Probably passed on him because they were confident they’d get the other deals done. Rough luck for them, this really was the year they needed to target top class mature bodies. Maybe they nail pick 9 and the period isn’t too bad for them.

Dodoro cops a lot of s**t but SOS has been fairly s**t at Carlton and this trade period sums it up for me. Carlton celebrating a year with 7 wins like it was a success is the definition of accepting mediocrity.

Big assumption. After he stopped trying halfway through last season, I'd redraft him and sit him in the NEAFL for the year purely out of spite. What's Martin or Carlton going to do about it?
Launch a restraint of trade challenge, AFLPA would be getting involved as well. Not something the AFL would like to deal with after handing all of those concessions to GC.

Launch a restraint of trade challenge, AFLPA would be getting involved as well. Not something the AFL would like to deal with after handing all of those concessions to GC.
I am happy Martin lauch his complain to AFLPA. I think is time. Even him need to go to AFLPA is a big win for GCS.

I am happy Martin lauch his complain to AFLPA. I think is time. Even him need to go to AFLPA is a big win for GCS.

Good luck getting anyone to sign a long term deal from now on.

A win for GC would’ve been a top 25 pick and another pick around 45 next year. But you got high on the concessions.

People forget its tougher to trade for a bloke who is in great form, than for a guy at a lowpoint of their career.
Carlton did it properly. They didn't offer stupid overs in the same way we refused to with Joe. Sensible overs reflecting a bloke's contract situation.

Paps is rolling along and Carlton wasn't the only club eyeing him off. He's no Betts/Milne (not saying he never will be), but 40 goals a season is what we all want from a sneak.
9 outright was a good offer. They were told it was highly unlikely unless Daniher went thru. You cant just jack up your offer to stupid levels coz u have a responsibility to the club.
The only qualifiction would be if that rumour of them changing the offer to wanting pick 25 to come back was true. That diminishes the offer to a level Sydney would be forced to say "bugger off until serious".

No drip feeding sympathetic media scabs. No bullshyt using ex players to influence negotiations. Its called integrity. It just didn't work out...not easy to get done when a bloke has 4 yrs to run and is in form.

The Martin thing simply sounds like Gold Coast wanted stupid overs. They will get him.

Last edited:
The Martin thing simply sounds like Gold Coast wanted stupid overs. They will get him.
I wouldn't call 15 + Martin for 9 "stupid overs". I'd call that a fair deal, it values him somewhere around pick 21 which sounds about right. If Carlton aren't willing to play ball for a reasonable price, that isn't Gold Coast's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back