Streaming Stranger Things - Netflix Original *SPOILERS*

Streaming Television
At the end of season 2 werent we given a hint that the villian from season 1 was still alive? Or has my memory gone crazy.
Yes, from the character Ray.

This bloke:

Just knocked it over. Started it last night and kept going this morning

Loved it, like most really felt the emotion that last ep. Had some good moments too, pool fight 11 v Billy was great 👍🏽

Look forward to S4 :)

I thought it was somewhere in-between the 1st 2 seasons in terms of quality... UP UNTIL the final episode which absolutely knocked everything out of the park. I'd place it just behind season 1 overall.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

lol. Whole lotta content creators on youtube relying on clickbait titles these days and pretending perpetually unhappy nerds who pick the sh1t out of everything represent some kind of consensus.

Nothing 'went wrong' with Stranger Things. I mean, you could make an argument it's just the same story every season but that's actually indicative of it not changing.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
lol. Whole lotta content creators on youtube relying on clickbait titles these days and pretending perpetually unhappy nerds who pick the sh1t out of everything represent some kind of consensus.

Nothing 'went wrong' with Stranger Things. I mean, you could make an argument it's just the same story every season but that's actually indicative of it not changing.
i agree. just posting cos its funny.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Finally finished it!

Thoughts that a fresh in my mind still after last night:

Russians. Hated them. Well Hate is strong, but this show was very good in the early days of acknowledging but subverting a few tropes, having the Russians as the baddies, no depth, no questions asked, was borderline parody of 80s media, rather than the smart homage the show began as.

The Terminator looking guy though, I loved him. That was a proper homage. Surely that guy must be a stunt double or something or Arnie? Some angles of him were very similar.

Hopper. Think the character went backwards a bit, became a caricature.

Steve. Think the character went backwards A LOT. He was a good example of the flipping and subverting of tropes, started the show an arshole jock that pressured a girl in to sex type but came good. He was still himself though, bit of a douchey womaniser that wasn't keen on being seen with the nerdy kids. To see him begin the season a bumbling awkward guy failing to impress literally any female working at an ice cream place just didn't feel right. To me it was an actual betrayal of him. Still one of my favourites though.

Robyn. Liked her actually, bit convenient she knew the Russian alphabet but ah well, that's TV. Did see the reveal she was a lesbian coming from a mile away though. Bit of another failure to play with stereotypes.

Mike. Was still bit of a dick, which I liked a lot. I enjoy a show that isn't afraid to show it's mains being difficult people to empathise with or get along with.

Eleven. Liked her but began to feel that her powers were becoming bit of a cheap way for the show to get itself out of things it got in to, her losing them was very welcome in the narrative and hopefully it's stuck with for a good stretch of time before they come back.

Will. Was Mike implying he is gay when they were fighting? I'm not 100% on shows that need to show younger kids/teens confronting these issues. Robyn is fine but she is a couple years older. Anyway good to see Will get through a season without becoming invalid for a few episodes.

Dustin. Great to see him back. Did think with the Russians and his radio we might get some sort of stuff with the Woodpecker but alas I guess this show isn't going to cross paths with anything Chernobyl related.

The first few episodes. Horrific. Struggled to watch. The scenes were quick and the story jumped all over the place, and it was a complete overuse of 80s songs on the soundtrack, seems like 80% of the music was squeezed in to the first couple episodes. Season 2 had this problem too.

Billy. Another failure to subvert a trope. The bully guy ended up becoming the big baddie, then quickly died after a very brief moment of redemption.

Anyway, that sounds mostly negative I know. I did enjoy much of the show and found the last part of it very strong and moving, the Buyer's family moving away and Hoppers letter was excellent.

Overall another good season, but I did prefer 2. I thin that is more on me liking 2 more than most people than disliking 3 however.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I liked Season 3's deliberate (it seemed) injection of more humour (hey Erica!). Helps with narrative pacing and keeps mood beyond "just for nerds".

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
finally finished watching season 3.

final episode was good and bad. lots of things happening at once, including an overly long conversation between hopper/joyce. which could be a product of some self-awareness that's crept into the show. that conversation could be trope, could be irony. i expect joyce to do a ripley and save a love interest at the end of season 4, 'not gonna happen again'. eleven will probably have to regain her powers to save someone's (mike) life.
max finished the season as little more than an extra pair of arms and legs.
not into the slapstick. i liked the erica character but she points to a problem with the series... much of it is spent without any sense of gravity of situation.
again. bribing her with ice cream to help foil some russians. it's amusing for 5 seconds but the writers are telegraphing the lack of danger.

hit well on the friends leaving town, getting older thing. all these plans you make with people to write and catch up not knowing you won't see them again.
all final episodes could have ended the series pretty well.
i expect a few more misfires now they're having to come up with more and more content and story arc from thin air, after the initial plans and not able to draw upon the same well of influences (ala heavily influenced elfen lied beginning).

i'm interested in next season to see how they can possibly form a season based on where the characters are at, emotionally and geographically. they're going to want to introduce new characters to a cast that already feels full. assuming we see everyone again of course.

Last edited:
Back