Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Granted, but i'd like to see Logue have a crack, he's a big unit, moves well, and could be a good contested fella.
I'm not sold on his kicking, but you can get away with that in the midfield, not so much in defence.

Granted, but i'd like to see Logue have a crack, he's a big unit, moves well, and could be a good contested fella.
I'm not sold on his kicking, but you can get away with that in the midfield, not so much in defence.
Having Fyfe, Walters, Mundy in the midfield for bursts and then unleashed forward, instantly look better.
Acres is a solid player, and will help with the younger guys eased into the centre, add experience.
If we did this previously the midfield would get rolled.

Except Lonhmuir has seen Aish as a BF/BP for the last two years and he's played well
He has and he has, but I don't think James Aish is getting a run ahead of Steele Sidebottom or Phillips on their running power. I also think Aish is an example of putting your class behind the ball when you set up your play from turnovers.

I don't mind if he plays defense all year for us, I'd like to see what he can do in the void left by losing both our wingers.

The time trial in preseason will let us know where that decision is going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man I’m nervous about Carlton bidding on Henry, they should be the only ones that would consider it. If Martin goes main draft then hopefully they trade down from that spot with say Geelong for 14 and 24 or something, pick him up at one of those picks.

That would suck...

Before if I'm correct you mentioned going for 15 from GCS. Really think that now that would be the perfect strategy. It is perfect positioning to cover pick 10 if it has to be used for Henry, or if Bid between 10 and 15 or between 15 and 22 it both our picks cover the bid.

The downside is wasting points in the bid and we risk our preferred selection at 10
The upside we are guaranteed getting Henry, we can use picks such as 58 and 69 if we want as part of the deal or look to get a 2020 third etc. To get 15 would probably cost a 2020 2nd plus say pick 58 or mix of stuff.

My four would be something like 7 Stephenson or Jackson // 10 Henry if bid on or any of Robertson Flanders Ash//15 if Henry is bid on or any of Rivers,Taylor, Sharp and 22 Henry or any of Taylor,Sharp,Ruscoe. Other players in the mix will be Dylan Stephens, Gould, Kemp, Cooper Stephens among a few others.

Just caught the end where he said hogan is running. Anything else?

Just largely regurgitating what has been asked and said in the last 24 hours.

A few personal questions on how he’s felt in his time in the role over the past few weeks

Also that it doesn’t really end now, there’s options that they’re looking at from a trade up / trade down respective

Tbh the Hogan thing was the most interesting part of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding of next years draft is that the quality is not clearly understood and most teams will be taking 1 or 2 academy or fs players. So when you add the helping hand that the afl give for compensation. Round 1 won’t end at pick 20ish like this year but is probably going to push out to 26 or 27.
There might be a lot of shenanigans around who picks who’s academy player.
IMHO we should seriously consider trading next years 1st for a later 1st this year and another second next year.
I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about the 2020 draft. It will be compromised as there is a heap of academy talent but the top end of the draft looks as good, probably better, than this years from the early signs. If you have a first round pick you will have access to extremely good players. Trading out our future 1st would be a dumb move imo because we have a new coach, we lost both our wingers and all signs point to us having a difficult year ahead. Get our injury situation right and we could buck that trend but it'd be a massive gamble.

I would actually love pick #1 next year because the non-academy player who is the front runner is an absolute gun. I'd be surprised if a top 10 pick next year doesn't turn out more valuable than a top 10 pick this year. The later 2020 picks is where it becomes a s**t show - but lots of clubs need points so future 2nds will be in high demand for a club like say Sydney - who has two top 10-15 academy players.

He has and he has, but I don't think James Aish is getting a run ahead of Steele Sidebottom or Phillips on their running power. I also think Aish is an example of putting your class behind the ball when you set up your play from turnovers.

I don't mind if he plays defense all year for us, I'd like to see what he can do in the void left by losing both our wingers.

The time trial in preseason will let us know where that decision is going.
Aish played on the wing in the SANFL for the 2 years before he was drafted!
does anyone know what position he played at Brisbane?

Re Henry - I wouldn't read too much into what Jay Clark wrote. Clubs aren't going to talk about their draft strategy to journalists within an hour of trade week finishing. It's sensationalism and speculation at best.

It would be very bold from Carlton or Melbourne to bid Henry with pick 8 or 9. Henry looked like a 10-15 pick before he hurt his knee and missed the end of the year and testing. I think they would only bid if they saw it as a strategy to try and waste an early pick from us. It would be very very bold and we may be no guarantee to match it.
So far I count three delistings/retirements from Gold Coast's primary list, with the addition of Ellis, Greenwood, Zac Smith (there will be another removal of Martin)

That means they have one pick in the draft and picks #1, #2, #15 and #20.

Assuming they delist three more players to use just those picks, they might be willing to spread some of that value into next season to preserve the points. If they only delist one more player after Martin (by my count) they will only have #1 and #2 in the draft with #15, #20, #78 and #90 disappearing before the draft and everyone else moving up - there is value in not letting those picks go by moving them into next season.
Got it. :) BUT - why wait till draft day? Because clubs need to finalise lists?

Got it. :) BUT - why wait till draft day? Because clubs need to finalise lists?
If we get a bid on Henry at 14, but we had traded for 15 before the draft then we lose 15, but if we get a bid on Henry at 14, pay for it with 22 and the rest THEN trade in 15, we get to use pick 15 too.

Last year the Swans did this with West Coast to avoid their picks being used for Blakely, hiding them in 2020 until after his bid, to get an extra stab at higher talent.

Before if I'm correct you mentioned going for 15 from GCS. Really think that now that would be the perfect strategy. It is perfect positioning to cover pick 10 if it has to be used for Henry, or if Bid between 10 and 15 or between 15 and 22 it both our picks cover the bid.

The downside is wasting points in the bid and we risk our preferred selection at 10
The upside we are guaranteed getting Henry, we can use picks such as 58 and 69 if we want as part of the deal or look to get a 2020 third etc. To get 15 would probably cost a 2020 2nd plus say pick 58 or mix of stuff.

My four would be something like 7 Stephenson or Jackson // 10 Henry if bid on or any of Robertson Flanders Ash//15 if Henry is bid on or any of Rivers,Taylor, Sharp and 22 Henry or any of Taylor,Sharp,Ruscoe. Other players in the mix will be Dylan Stephens, Gould, Kemp, Cooper Stephens among a few others.
Don’t think there’s any need to trade for 15 before draft night. As it stands, a Henry bid is covered wherever it comes. We’ve got enough points regardless.

Ideally what happens is that we have an agreement in place for Henry regardless of where he’s bid after 10.

The later the bid comes the easier it will be because 22 will be incredibly valuable come draft night and teams generally prefer to live trade if it means just moving down a few spots. If Henry hasn’t been bid on by 15, we trade 22 and a future 2nd or two to get to 15 while getting something back later to cover the points.

If we lose 22 through an early bid (12ish) then it will get harder to get 15 off GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back