List Mgmt. Next Generation Academy List

Wasn't Lachlan Dawson in the NGA group that could have been drafted last year? Or am I thinking of another Lachlan?

If he was, how come he's still an option in 2020? Do we retain NGA rights beyond their initial draft year?
Correct, he was part of last year NGA Group
Think clubs get two years eligibility since injuries and list management plays a bit
Since only 15 NGA players can be active in the league as Cat B

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Correct, he was part of last year NGA Group
Think clubs get two years eligibility since injuries and list management plays a bit
Since only 15 NGA players can be active in the league as Cat B
So how does that work if there is 15 on the cat b list then you have to pick them in the main draft/rookie draft?

So how does that work if there is 15 on the cat b list then you have to pick them in the main draft/rookie draft?
Generally most top talented NGA Prospect go in the main draft and don't count to the number
NGA Cat B Players have a one year contract with a trigger for second year

If a club wants to play that player, need to elevateto main list

So allows a rotating door of players coming through

Have added it to the main page but just a reminder of the requirements for NGA

The Bulldogs have NGA hubs in Ballarat, Hamilton, Horsham, Warrnambool and Footscray.

The key principles underpinning the work of the Western Bulldogs Next Generation Academy are:

1. 1. To attract more children who would otherwise not play the game of Australian Rules Football or are underrepresented in the AFL talent pathways.
  2. 2. To reflect key multicultural segments in program participants that are currently underrepresented in the game, specifically young footballers of Asian and African backgrounds.
  3. 3. To provide opportunities to better develop and prepare Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander players for AFL programs.
  4. 4. Provide talent offerings for 11-15 year olds to compete with other sports and grass root programs in conjunction with AFL Goldfields, AFL Western District, AFL Wimmera and the Inner West of Melbourne (WRFL)
  5. 5. Expand on the above talent offerings for Indigenous and Multicultural participants up to 18 years old.

The Vic Country, Vic Metro and Allies hubs of the 2020 NAB AFL Academy have been announced.

CodyRaak08-Oct-0219078Western JetsCaroline Springs/The Academy
JamarraUgle-Hagan04-Apr-0219579Oakleigh ChargersSouth Warnambool/Scotch College
JoshuaGibcus04-Apr-0319372GWV RebelsEast Point/St Patrick’s College
BenHobbs16-Sep-0318175GWV RebelsHorsham/Ballarat & Clarendon College
CharlieMolan23-Jan-0318776GWV RebelsMount Clear/St Patrick’s College
JoshRentsch14-Sep-0319691GWV RebelsPenshurst/Good Shepherd College
NickStevens23-Mar-0219186GWV RebelsEast Point/Geelong Grammar

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Vic Country, Vic Metro and Allies hubs of the 2020 NAB AFL Academy have been announced.

Geez, Nick Stevens is a good size. Suspect Josh is going to get quite a few people interested, based on his size alone. He could and probably will nudge 200cm by the time he stops growing.

Thanks VD but I'm missing something. What or who is a "hub" in this sense?

Thanks VD but I'm missing something. What or who is a "hub" in this sense?
Its basically a mini camp to help prepare them for the NAB League
Part of it is training at AFL Clubs

"
Each Victorian hub contains 30 NAB League Boys players, while the Allies contains seven players from Tasmania Devils and Murray Bushrangers, who will undertake high-performance training and attend camps over the 2020 pre-season.

Twenty-one players in the Country and Metro hubs will be eligible for selection in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft, with a further nine ‘bottom-age’ players in each hub eligible for selection in 2021.
Vic Country
Sunday, December 15 – Thursday, December 19.

Vic Metro
Sunday, December 15 – Friday, December 20.

Allies (training at AFL clubs)
Monday, November 18 – Friday, December 20.

"

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thanks VD, do you know what percentage of the hubs are in the 2021 draft? Is having 4 bottom age players selected a sign that they are highly rated it not really?
Also can you, or anyone else confirm if Rentsch is actually tied to us? Played for our NGA teams so I would assume so but someone mentioned that to be eligible a players parents must come from a non English speaking country so Rentsch would not be tied to us because his parents are Kiwi.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thanks VD, do you know what percentage of the hubs are in the 2021 draft? Is having 4 bottom age players selected a sign that they are highly rated it not really?
Also can you, or anyone else confirm if Rentsch is actually tied to us? Played for our NGA teams so I would assume so but someone mentioned that to be eligible a players parents must come from a non English speaking country so Rentsch would not be tied to us because his parents are Kiwi.
Rentsch is ineligible to be drafted as part of our NGA for reason you mentioned above.

At the moment Hobbs looks like the best player in that pool since he's already playing senior footy in his local town and played under 18's this year

Hopefully at the start of next year, AFL will release the clear player numbers o i can fix the thread

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It would seem as though only indigenous kids or ones whose parents were born in Africa or Asia are eligible.
Although I have no idea what a CALD NGA player is.

15.8Qualified NGAPlayers

(a)For the purposes of this Rule 15, a Qualified NGA Player means a NGA Player who:

(i)was born in Africa or Asia;

or(ii)has a biological parent who was born in Africa or Asia;

or(iii)is an Indigenous Person;

or(iv)is a CALD NGA Player,

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thanks pugz so why was he allowed to play for our NGA team? Just an oversight?
Techincally it is not an NGA team as such. This is the Bulldogs' zone, so it is more of a talent identification and elite pathway program type situation at that age, and when they compete in the V/Line Cup etc, they just play under the Bulldogs name.
For example, 90% or more of the players that play in the 'Bulldogs NGA' under-15 team at the V/Line Cup go on to try-out for the GWV Rebels under-16 development squad when they get to that age. A very small percentage of the players who play in those games would be eligible for the NGA via draft, due to the criteria that needs to be met.

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It would seem as though only indigenous kids or ones whose parents were born in Africa or Asia are eligible.
Although I have no idea what a CALD NGA player is.

15.8Qualified NGAPlayers

(a)For the purposes of this Rule 15, a Qualified NGA Player means a NGA Player who:

(i)was born in Africa or Asia;

or(ii)has a biological parent who was born in Africa or Asia;

or(iii)is an Indigenous Person;

or(iv)is a CALD NGA Player,

CALD means Culturally & Linguistically Diverse.

Always difficult updating this thread esp due to AFL keep NGA players hidden from media

I tend to do a monthly scout for an article on the players than back fill

if a large % of this list is incorrect then my bad

HA that sounds exactly like the kind of vagueness the AFL loves so that they can manipulate situations however they want.

Are you linguistically diverse if you pronounce i as e?
It can seem like a different language. The first time I heard a Kiwi woman at the office saying she had an enjoyable afternoon "sitting on the deck" I did a double take.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Fantastic stuff as usual VD , you do a great job on this board.
Remember when I first joined , I found it quite amusing you in your Popes outfit 😜😄😄😄

Updated the main board

-Removed a few players due to not being eligible at the current time (waiting for AFL confirmation in December)
-Removed the Women's teams due to AFLW not using NGA systems of bidding and selection
-Overall pending 2020 players will be reduced in Jan-March when players are signed to Rebels/Jets/Footscray

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey VD I see you've removed Nick Stevens and Hobbs and Molan from the 2021 crop.
Are there questions surrounding their eligibility?

Hey VD I see you've removed Nick Stevens and Hobbs and Molan from the 2021 crop.
Are there questions surrounding their eligibility?
Currently just waiting for confirmation if they are eligibility

Trying to get the info from Rebels but understandable they are holding off due to Bulldogs information

So for sake of other threads, i took them out but i'm recording their seasons on a side so i can quickly re-update thread once its confirmed.

As something i have mentioned before

Its hard to determine someone eligibility by just looking at a photo of the person

A few bigger names on the list could be mix blood indigenous people which local reports do articles for in their draft year so i can re-adjust then.

As someone that is mix blood, people see me purley as a white person and while AFL are lack on providing information, i rather hold off some names and re-adjust throughout the year

Back