Best 22 Round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Geez compared to previous years it's going to be tough to select a round 1 side, especially if the list is healthy (which is looking likely at this stage apart from maybe Naughty and Keath.)

I'll have a crack anyway

B: Wood Cordy Crozier
HB: Daniel Keath JJ
C: Hunter Macrae McLean
HF: Dale Bruce Suckling
FF: Wallis Schache Lloyd
RR: English Bont Dunkley
INT: Libba Duryeah Lipinski B Smith
Emg: Le Young La Young West Trengrove Richards Dickson
Inj: Naughty (I'm not really sure if he'll come up for round 1 so I've left him out just in case)

Last edited:
B: Easton Wood, Lewis Young, Taylor Duryea.
HB: Lachie Young, Alex Keath, Hayden Crozier.

C: Lachie Hunter, Jackson Macrae, Jason Johannisen.
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Smith.

HF: Sam Lloyd, Aaron Naughton, Patrick Lipinski.
F: Bailey Dale, Josh Bruce, Fergus Greene.

I/C: Josh Dunkley, Bailey Williams, Rhylee West, Josh Schache.

1: Break up the "Bubble Of Excellence" inject some pace.
2: Invent the modern prototype of the mobile Ruck Josh Schache.
3: Train Ed Richards to play more inside and win more ball.
4: Apologise to Matthew Suckling for leaving him out, it's tough love suckers.
5: Raise premiership cup after crushing the Tigers in "The Big Dance".

Geez compared to previous years it's going to be tough to select a round 1 side, especially if the list is healthy (which is looking likely at this stage apart from maybe Naughty and Keath.)

I'll have a crack anyway

B: Wood Cordy Suckling
HF: Dale Bruce Lloyd
INT: Libba Duryeah Dickson B Smith
Emg: Le Young La Young West Trengrove
Inj: Naughty (I'm not really sure if he'll come up for round 1 so I've left him out just in case)
Naughton will be ready

B: Wood Cordy Suckling
HF: Dale Bruce Lloyd
INT: Libba Duryeah Dickson B Smith
Emg: Le Young La Young West Trengrove

Lloyd and Lloyd should make a good pair.

I still have one spot open in mine at this stage.

I’m more interested in who people leave out, than anything.

FB: Crozier Trengove Wood
HB: Williams Keath Duryea
C: JJ. Macrae. hunter
HF: Mclean Naughton Lloyd
FF: Dale Bruce ???????
R: English Bonti Dunkley
IC: lipinski, Libba, Smith, Daniel

Guys missing at this point:

Richards, Schache, Cordy, suckling, Wallis, west, Lewi Young.

I really like playing Trengove

I’m not sold on the 3 Tall forwards

I like 2 tall defenders only, given how good crozier and wood are in the air.

JJ to the wing.

Would love to find an electric small forward in the draft or as a DFA.

West probably plays if we can’t.

Age at 31/12/2019

B: Easton Wood (30, 160, 23) Jackson Trengove (29, 185, 16) Zaine Cordy (23, 71, 23)
HB: Jason Johannisen (27, 126, 20) Alex Keath (27, 30, 18) Hayden Crozier (26, 108, 22)

R: Tim English (22, 29, 20) Josh Dunkley (22, 66, 23) Marcus Bontempelli (24, 127, 23)
C: Caleb Daniel (23, 91, 17) Jack Macrae (25, 141, 23) Lachie Hunter (25, 128, 23)

HF: Bailey Dale (23, 50, 10) Aaron Naughton (20, 41, 23) Toby McLean (23, 79, 19)
F: Sam Lloyd (29, 80, 23) Josh Bruce (27, 113, 22) Tory Dickson (32, 113, 17)

I: Taylor Duryea (28, 132, 14) Patrick Lipinski (21, 32, 14) Bailey Smith (19, 23, 23) Tom Liberatore (27, 132, 15)

Feels a little on the slow side still, maybe I should open up a spot for Ed Richards on the bench but would find it hard to leave Libba out.

Have no idea how the defence shapes up next season. Liked how it looked in the latter parts of the season so am open to moving Daniel back to wing/half forward with the odd spell at half back if he needs to get his hands on the ball. Don’t think Keath is suited to play on the big talls and Cordy isn’t either so think there is still a spot for Trengove/Young, Keath takes the next tall which leaves Cordy with the third best tall forward or on a medium. Could easily choose Suckling over Cordy too.

Midfield and ruck picks itself really. Looking forward to the Lipinski and Smith improvement next year to add to the core four of Bont, Macrae, Hunter and Dunkley.

Forward line could go in a number of directions still. I’ve played it pretty safe and just gone with the two tall forwards but can easily see Schache joining them. Dickson still in while we wait for Cavarra and West’s preseasons and to see who we take at the draft.

Had to pick Liberatore or Wallis for that last spot although I thought the balance was right in the second half of last season and I think their injuries sort of contributed in that. I agree with the people who write “ball movement is more important than leg speed” but I think there is a balance needed between the two. We’re usually way too reliant on JJ providing us that run and I think we’re noticeably worse when teams sit on him and he is unable to get engaged as much. Richards didn’t have the best year in 2019 but he does give us that leg speed to play a bit as a pressure forward or break the lines a bit when behind the ball more. Libba and Wallis are really good players but they are really good players in their best position which is well behind the Bont/Macrae/Dunkley trio. In the past I think we’ve played Bontempelli forward too much to accommodate for the other good midfielders we have, hope that doesn’t happen again. His balance between midfield play and forward play was pretty much spot on this year.

Wood Cordy Crozier
Daniel Keath JJ
Hunter Macrae Lipinski
Schache Bruce McLean
Dale Naughton Lloyd
English Bont Dunkley
IC: Richards, Libba, Duryea, Smith

Depth: Suckling, Wallis, Williams, West, Trengove, Le Young

We're definitely batting at least 30 deep next year.

FB: Cordy Keath Wood
HB: JJ Lewy Young Crozier
C:Hunter Bonti B.Smith
R: English Macrae Dunkley
HF: Lloyd Schache Dale
FF: Mclean Bruce Naughton

Int: Duryea Daniel Richard Lipinski

BP-Crozier FB-Keath BP-Duryea
HB-Daniel CHB-Le.Young HB-Wood
W-Hunter C-Dunkley W-Richards
HF-Lloyd CHF-Bruce HF-Schache
FP-Dale FF-Naughton FP-McLean
R-English RR-Bontempelli RV-Macrae
INT-Suckling B.Smith Lipinski Wallis

Depth-Johannisen Cordy Gowers Dickson*
Hayes Liberatore West Trengrove Williams

Youth- La.Young Khamis Lynch Greene Cavarra Porter Vandermeer Sweet *Draft Picks

Age at 31/12/2019

B: Easton Wood (30, 160, 23) Jackson Trengove (29, 185, 16) Zaine Cordy (23, 71, 23)
HB: Jason Johannisen (27, 126, 20) Alex Keath (27, 30, 18) Hayden Crozier (26, 108, 22)

R: Tim English (22, 29, 20) Josh Dunkley (22, 66, 23) Marcus Bontempelli (24, 127, 23)
C: Caleb Daniel (23, 91, 17) Jack Macrae (25, 141, 23) Lachie Hunter (25, 128, 23)

HF: Bailey Dale (23, 50, 10) Aaron Naughton (20, 41, 23) Toby McLean (23, 79, 19)
F: Sam Lloyd (29, 80, 23) Josh Bruce (27, 113, 22) Tory Dickson (32, 113, 17)

I: Taylor Duryea (28, 132, 14) Patrick Lipinski (21, 32, 14) Bailey Smith (19, 23, 23) Tom Liberatore (27, 132, 15)

Feels a little on the slow side still, maybe I should open up a spot for Ed Richards on the bench but would find it hard to leave Libba out.

Have no idea how the defence shapes up next season. Liked how it looked in the latter parts of the season so am open to moving Daniel back to wing/half forward with the odd spell at half back if he needs to get his hands on the ball. Don’t think Keath is suited to play on the big talls and Cordy isn’t either so think there is still a spot for Trengove/Young, Keath takes the next tall which leaves Cordy with the third best tall forward or on a medium. Could easily choose Suckling over Cordy too.

Midfield and ruck picks itself really. Looking forward to the Lipinski and Smith improvement next year to add to the core four of Bont, Macrae, Hunter and Dunkley.

Forward line could go in a number of directions still. I’ve played it pretty safe and just gone with the two tall forwards but can easily see Schache joining them. Dickson still in while we wait for Cavarra and West’s preseasons and to see who we take at the draft.

Had to pick Liberatore or Wallis for that last spot although I thought the balance was right in the second half of last season and I think their injuries sort of contributed in that. I agree with the people who write “ball movement is more important than leg speed” but I think there is a balance needed between the two. We’re usually way too reliant on JJ providing us that run and I think we’re noticeably worse when teams sit on him and he is unable to get engaged as much. Richards didn’t have the best year in 2019 but he does give us that leg speed to play a bit as a pressure forward or break the lines a bit when behind the ball more. Libba and Wallis are really good players but they are really good players in their best position which is well behind the Bont/Macrae/Dunkley trio. In the past I think we’ve played Bontempelli forward too much to accommodate for the other good midfielders we have, hope that doesn’t happen again. His balance between midfield play and forward play was pretty much spot on this year.
Backline way too big and personally think Richards is starting to show more every game just needs to play

FB: Wood, Trengove, Williams
HB: Crozier, Keath, Daniel
C: Hunter, Macrae, JJ
HF: McLean, Naughton, Lloyd
FF: Schache, Bruce, Dale
Foll: English, Bont, Dunkley
Int: Libba, Dureya, Lipinski, Smith
EMG: Suckling, Richards, Young, Cordy

Went Trengrove over Cordy or Young as I think he offers us a more lockdown defender, we have enough rebound and aerial threats down there to compliment it.

Id like to try the three tall experiment as I think Schaches best place in the team is as a third tall and pushing up high, hopefully can create some space for the two big contested markers down there. If Cavarra has a big pre-season I'd love to have him in as he's the major thing we're lacking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Wood, Trengrove, Crozier
HB: Daniel, Keath, Duryea
C: JJ, Bont, Hunter
HF: Smith, Naughton, McLean
FF: Dale, Bruce, Lloyd
R: English, Macrae, Dunks
Int: Lipinski, Libba, Cordy, Suckling
Emg: Schache, Richards, Wallis

Cordy scrapes in to cover both ends.
Richards could come in for more pace.
Also potentially have too many inside mid rotations (Bont, Macrae, Dunks, Smith, Lipinksi, McLean, Libba), Im open to leaving one of them out.

FB: Cordy, Trengrove, Crozier
HB: Wood, Keith, JJ
C: Hunter, Libba, Macrae
HF: Dale, Schache, Lloyd
FF: Dickson, Bruce, Naughton
Int: Suckling, Duryea, Daniel, McLean
Emg: Smith, Lipinski, Richards, Wallis

Really wanted Smith & Lipinski in there somewhere!

Backline way too big and personally think Richards is starting to show more every game just needs to play

Fair enough. Out of ‘key defenders’ as CD has specified them, of those who had 40 or more contested defensive one on ones Easton Wood has the worst losing percentage in the league at 41.5% (Lost 17 of 41), Cordy had the third worst at 37.5% (lost 27 of 72). Don’t think we can afford to have those two in the same positions they played this year.

I’m a big fan of Ed Richards. These exercises can be futile because of your best 27 there is bound to be five or so unavailable. Richards/Wallis/Suckling (all the guys in that 20-25 bracket) probably play every game they are available. Still think his best position is half back though and I’m not sure when that position opens up for him. He’s versatile enough to get games in other positions.

FB: Cordy, Trengrove, Crozier
HB: Wood, Keith, JJ
C: Hunter, Libba, Macrae
HF: Dale, Schache, Lloyd
FF: Dickson, Bruce, Naughton
Int: Suckling, Duryea, Daniel, McLean
Emg: Smith, Lipinski, Richards, Wallis

Really wanted Smith & Lipinski in there somewhere!

Don't mind this team.

I'd probably leave Trengrove out & have one of the 3 forwards pinch hit, but depends on match ups down back.

Also not sure Libba will be in our best 22 this year. Think Smith & Lipinski will pass him. Love Libba though so hope to be proven wrong.

Think Wallis will be backup for Lloyd or Dale in the medium forward roll if they're not fit / out of form.

HB: JJ Keath Duryea
C: Hunter Bont Macrae
HF: Schache Naughton Lloyd
FF: Dale Bruce Greene
Foll: English Dunkley Smith
Inter: Suckling Daniel Lipinski Williams

Guys who miss out - Cordy, Richards, Dickson, West, Libba, Wallis, McLean, Cavarra, Gowers, Hayes
Lynch, Young, Young, Jong

B: Easton Wood, Lewis Young, Taylor Duryea.
HB: Lachie Young, Alex Keath, Hayden Crozier.

C: Lachie Hunter, Jackson Macrae, Jason Johannisen.
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Smith.

HF: Sam Lloyd, Aaron Naughton, Patrick Lipinski.
F: Bailey Dale, Josh Bruce, Fergus Greene.

I/C: Josh Dunkley, Bailey Williams, Rhylee West, Josh Schache.

1: Break up the "Bubble Of Excellence" inject some pace.
2: Invent the modern prototype of the mobile Ruck Josh Schache.
3: Train Ed Richards to play more inside and win more ball.
4: Apologise to Matthew Suckling for leaving him out, it's tough love suckers.
5: Raise premiership cup after crushing the Tigers in "The Big Dance".
I like that team, the balance is awesome. Schache as a Ruck back up coming off the bench I had never
thought of that. Yes you have you are me, it was your idea. Team seems to have a lot of depth.

Zaine Depth
Caleb Depth
Tory Depth
Thomas Depth
Mitch Depth
Ed Depth
Matthew Depth
Jackson Depth
Jordon Depth
Toby Depth
Will Depth
Lin Depth

The twelve brothers of Depth and a few young Depth developers, I like it.

HB: JJ Keath Duryea
C: Hunter Bont Williams
HF: Schache Naughton Lloyd
FF: Dale Bruce Dicko
Foll: English Dunkley Macrae
Inter: Suckling Daniel Libba Cordy
Emergency: Richards, Young, Smith, Lipinski

I think Trengove and Young will be swapped a bit next year depending on who we are playing. I know smith played lots this year but I can’t see how he will keep a fit Libba out. I thought it would be easy to do a best 22 but...... 🤷🏼‍♂️ All I can say is we have really good depth next year.

A lot of people have Trengove in but considering he was struggling to get a game before the arrival of Keath I can't see him getting many next year unless English goes down.

FB: Crozier Keath Wood
HB: Williams Le.Young Johannisen
C: Hunter Bontempelli Macrae
HF: B.Smith Naughton Lipinski
FF: Lloyd Bruce Dale
FOL: English Dunkley Liberatore
INT: Cordy Richards Suckling Daniel

EMG/DEPTH - Wallis Jong Schache West R.Smith La.Young Dureya Dickson

I was almost going to leave Libba out but then I remembered how much we missed his tenacity in the final.

Backing in Lewy Young to break out so Cordy moves to the bench. Huge year for him and I think he has the potential to play a utility role, pitching in wherever we need him including a bit on the ball (ruck).

If Dale, Lloyd and Lipinski are all firing then Dickson will struggle to get a game. I'm still a big fan of his though.

Finally, of the depth players I think Lachie Young is the most important moving forward. Speedy medium defender who gives us more flexibilty and is a point of difference to the other flankers. Hoping he can add 6-8 kgs over the break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back