Review Rate our trade week, 2019

How do you rate our trade period? 10 = highest, 1 = lowest

• 1 - We destroyed our club and consigned ourselves to a Carlton level of mediocrity

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.2%

Votes: 12 14.3%

Votes: 9 10.7%

Votes: 28 33.3%

Votes: 19 22.6%

Votes: 10 11.9%

Votes: 2 2.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 - We couldn't conceivably do better

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo gave Essendon a vote and all they did was recruit Cutler.

Yet last year when we did nothing other than retention and Roughead, I'm fairly sure we were getting D's...

I know it's easy to forget given we haven't seen much of him in the second half of the year but we did also have Dayne Beams join us last trade period. So definitely more active than what the Bombers were this year.

I think a small defender is a position we are overly covered in so 1 less is no great drama.I quite liked Aish but the position he was playing we have coverage for,I am glad we drafted Cameron and very pleased we retained Elliott we have made some ball,s up,s in recent times but this drafting period so far so good.
I think in the next round of drafting as long as we try to find a tall forward prospect I am happy with the club,s efforts.

Last edited:
I was a bit concerned when we announced to the world that we were trying to get back into the first round, then spectacularly failed to do so. Although that door isn't completely shut, as we can still trade picks during the live draft? Still not sure how that works and whether it will be possible to move up the order on the night.

I was a bit concerned when we announced to the world that we were trying to get back into the first round, then spectacularly failed to do so. Although that door isn't completely shut, as we can still trade picks during the live draft? Still not sure how that works and whether it will be possible to move up the order on the night.
Might have been the classic red herring.

Then other clubs might ask about a player with bait being a first round.

Or, it just didn’t happen, circumstances didn’t fall that way.

Yes its possible, a club can use any number of current and future picks to trade for an early pick in this years draft

I don't think we will do it though

Funny that, isn't it. Essendoom pinch a Slobbo vote while no mention of West Coast who snagged the best player available

Or maybe the retention of Daniher merits the 1 vote.

I’d give us a solid 7.5

Traded from a position of surplus with Aish, gained a second rounder (which we normally throw away like candy at Halloween) and off loaded some cap pressure.

Picked up Darcy Cameron in an area of need on the cheap both in terms of trade value and (presumably) cap.

Would have gained a better score by dealing Scharenberg or Cox but no boneheaded decisions made is a good start.

I thought we were just below par.

Added Cameron. Highly speculative but at the price it's hard to argue he not a handy addition in terms of our ruck depth. Better than chasing a Ryder or Phillips. Question will be would Howard or Bruce have been better options. I'd have preferred Howard. Jury out.

Lost Aish. Sad to see him depart but we did pretty well out of his move and he is replaceable. Pretty similar deal to Zac Jones who I'd rate higher. A win.

Improved 2020 draft position. With a highly touted NGA player on the horizon I think that's a good thing. Gives us a lot of flexibility to trade up the order or target a player in 2020. A win.

Missed opportunity. I'd have liked us to be sniffing around Howard, Bonar, and Cutler. Our future 1st seemed about right for Howard + change. Bonar and Cutler were had relatively cheaply. A minus.

What we do in terms of live trading during the draft could be telling.

Or maybe the retention of Daniher merits the 1 vote.
No I understand that and Fantasia too, I'm just not surprised that Robbo went that way, rather than look at West Coast who significantly increased their Premiership chances in the trade period.

Given Essendon already had Daniher and Fantasia, and haven't troubled the top end yet, I think West Coast clearly did better

No I understand that and Fantasia too, I'm just not surprised that Robbo went that way, rather than look at West Coast who significantly increased their Premiership chances in the trade period.

Given Essendon already had Daniher and Fantasia, and haven't troubled the top end yet, I think West Coast clearly did better

Essendon need to rebuild. They had another opportunity to do that with players wanting out Daniher and Fantasia and didn't cash in. It's a big fail for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 from me. Not that that’s a bad score but we didn’t gain anyone of note, lost a best 25 player but upgraded a pick with that which I assume will be beneficial next year. So it was the ultimate average period.

Hard to say

What were our objectives?
Did we achieve them?

Did we improve....now?....future?
Totally agree.
Every team is holding a very different hand and has a very different strategy.

I get the impression we went in with the strategy of getting Cameron really cheap. tick. Moving on a couple of guys who are on decent money but are just role players. Big tick for Aish as I think we also got a really good price, but we probably wanted to move on another one or two.
Guy also said he was interested in trading up in the draft, but that doesn't have to happen in trade week, so we may also end up with a tick there. Time will tell.

6/10 given the cards we were dealt. It was a small win. IMO, we were a deal on Shaz or Cox from nailing it. The lack of interest in both was entirely understandable...
You and I are clearly on the same wavelength.

We could not do much.

We lost a Good Solid AFL Player and only Gained a Depth in the Ruck/KPF. Yes we need depth in those 2 Postions but at moment he only played 1 AFL Game. I reckon he will add to that at Collingwood.

Yes we got Future Picks to either use on Points to get Reef or Possible Trade Up in this Years Draft.

We have not got better after the Trade Period

Essendon need to rebuild. They had another opportunity to do that with players wanting out Daniher and Fantasia and didn't cash in. It's a big fail for mine.

I’m happy for Essendon to remain in no-mans land. I see it as great result. They’ll keep players that do t want to be there and miss out on opportunities to become a good team again.

Now, we hope Carlton can somehow manage to ruin the list the currently have, it’ll be fantastic.

You and I are clearly on the same wavelength.

Just saw your post and the further context you provided fits hand in glove with mine. The point of yours I’d like to touch on is the lack of a bonehead move. It was refreshing to not have concerns over the direction.

In the past you could get whiplash trying to figure out what the overarching strategy was (whirlwind Gubby and the cluster* that was the Murray trade standout), but it was clear that this trade period was all about positioning ourselves to retain Moore, JDG and Grundy. Everything else next year is gravy.

The only loose end that I have which will never be tied up is whether Aish still goes if Elliott departs to Brisbane. I’d say probably not and I don’t know how I feel about that.

Well at some stage, people will realise that it wasnt the NBA trading period.... the movement of one or two players isnt going to fundamentally change what happens to a team next year. As far as I can see, the biggest impact of an AFL trade period is to provide work for dozens of media types working around the rim of the AFL... (unfortunate choice of words)

I think the Pies used the period to tell a few players coming up for contract negotiations next year that they should shop around because they might find themselves on the table. The Elliott scenario was pretty new to Collingwood - although you might refer to the Dale Thomas departure. Normally everyone would go hysterical about him possibly leaving but the club was extremely low key throughout and I think Jamie realised that he was on a pretty good and fair wicket. A bloke with his history shouldnt get more than 2 years at this stage. Aish was let go and Ned Guy handled the press conference well steering clear of the money thing. Shaz remains but he has been warned that he will need to do more to maintain his pay. Rupe Wills scenario will tell the role players that they will get role player money. Tom Phillips is a very good player but he's not indispensable and I get the feeling he might have been mentioned in trades to tell him that. I think the messages are clear to the super dooper players that everyone is going to share the burden. The only worrying aspect is the mason cox situation. Clearly, he got a very good contract last time. I heard the justification of the salary was the option of going to brisbane. That's not a very good decision and it looks like hype bubble has burst for mason and reality has set in. Whether he was talking to essendon or not is irrelevant because the key point is that the Pies would have given permission if he did. In other words, Ned wont be making the same mistake again. If Mason doesnt want a pay cut, he is free to look elsewhere.

I get the feeling that some of these managers are spinning crap with their charges. They tell the players that other clubs will give them more money and then they trot off to the club and get a knee jerk reaction and a contract with an inflated salary. The Pies look like they are going to let the players involved more by meeting other clubs etc. Which takes me back to the hype of the trade period. The ridiculous assessments by the various "experts" that a couple of players here or there will enable a club to sell hope. That the Saints are top of the world and stephen silvagni is devastated for not getting a good forward from the swans and a flaky lightweight from the suns. Morely likely he was feeling the pressure of the Carlton supporters who were going to make his life hell. If I have a reasonable level of confidence in Ned Guy making the right decisions next year, I dont have the same confidence in magpie fans letting Ned do his job and refrain from contacting the club and threaten to not renew their membership if de goey isnt immediately signed. I expect a circus...

6/10 given the cards we were dealt. It was a small win. IMO, we were a deal on Shaz or Cox from nailing it. The lack of interest in both was entirely understandable...
Trade period is like selling/ buying used cars. It doesn’t matter what they were bought for new.
Cox is an ol’ gas guzzlin’ Chevy that’s not very practical for the daily commute and Shaz has been at the panel shop one too many times.

Back