News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree but the post I was responding to indicated he could play the race card by holding the club partially responsible for not showing due diligance or providing an environment culture shame etc (not exactly a coherent post but I could see what it was angling at).
The situation you outlined would have a much higher chance of success.

Was just pointing out that I agreed Club Culture wouldn't work but Race card particularly in Australia is a big thing and could see him getting a lighter penalty than otherwise mandated.

This a joke we don't know the conclusion of this already, AFL need to get ride of ASADA and bring it in house.

AFL loses any government funding if we go down that route. The sport isn't quite big enough yet with enough cash flow to stand on it's own like some of the bigger sporting leagues can (NFL, NBA, etc)

I agree but the post I was responding to indicated he could play the race card by holding the club partially responsible for not showing due diligance or providing an environment culture shame etc (not exactly a coherent post but I could see what it was angling at).
The situation you outlined would have a much higher chance of success.

I meant his culture ...didn’t want to use the term race as that encompasses a mish mash of stereotypes etc. Any how having a close relative play over there in the aftermath of the cousins business I know you guys are probably still hyper vigilant that it doesn’t happen again but this one has slipped through whether the club could have done better or not.
End of the day you have a young footballer who could loose his career because he smokes dope and the club didn’t know about it... again

Last edited:
I would have sympathy for Essendon if they ran a tight ship and were cooperative, but they didn't, and they weren't.

Every step of the way was like the argument sketch from Monty Python.

'That's Thymosin Beta 4'
'No it isn't'
'Yes it is. It's prohibited'
'No it isn't'
'Yes it is'

E: 'We've got proof we didn't give it to players'
A: 'Ok, show us'
E: 'No, you show us'
A: 'Um, what...?? I don't understand weren't you going to produce...'
*Essendon cut off ASADA staffer*
E: 'You were going to show us proof that we gave the players TB4'
A: 'uh, no, you were going to show us proof that you didn't'
E: 'See, they said they had proof but can't even produce it'

The old bait and switch!

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

But he was worried about having it in his system. If there was no issue with having a toke then he wouldn't have bothered hiding it.
But as an elite AFL player he should know that an out of competition test does not test for weed. There’s no escaping that he made a stupid error and there is no one to blame but himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I meant his culture ...didn’t want to use the term race as that encompasses a mish mash of stereotypes etc. Any how having a close relative play over there in the aftermath of the cousins business I know you guys are probably still hyper vigilant that it doesn’t happen again but this one has slipped through whether the club could have done better or not.
End of the day you have a young footballer who could loose his career because he smokes dope and the club didn’t know about it... again

This statement is gross and rooted in bigotry of low expectation.

AFL is 10% Indigenous. Many of them come from remote communities including top end/Tiwi Islands and they are all able to be compliant with ASADA/Illicit drugs policy.

There is also another aspect you aren't considering. If Willie turned up to the AFL tribunal and tried to use his Indigeneity or culture as a mitigating factor, every other Indigenous AFL player would be dirty as * with him, and Willie would be very aware of this.

In saying that, people are going way overboard with this. Willie will get 18 months and be back in time for preseason 2021 at the very latest. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back on the field some time in 2020.

Last edited:
He put Gatorade in the pee cup and passed it off as a legit urine sample. You're dreaming :(

We could get in to a whole back and forth about why he won't get more than 18 months, but reality is neither of us truly know.

What do you think he'll get?

This a joke we don't know the conclusion of this already, AFL need to get ride of ASADA and bring it in house.
S all to do
I know this is not going to happen in this case, but just being hypothetical in a general sense imagine a player being provisionally suspended and he misses most of the next season waiting for the case to be heard, then said player is found to be not guilty and no case to answer. That seems very unfair to be out of the game for so long and then to be proven innocent - IMO it should all be finalised one way or another before the next season starts to be fair to all parties concerned!

S all to do

I know this is not going to happen in this case, but just being hypothetical in a general sense imagine a player being provisionally suspended and he misses most of the next season waiting for the case to be tried, then said player is found to be not guilty and no case to answer. That seems very unfair to be out of the game for so long and then to be proven innocent - IMO it should all be finalised one way or another before the next season starts to be fair to all parties concerned!

There are provisions that allow for the process to be expedited at the athletes request. Willie hasn't done that and from the sounds of it won't.

AFL loses any government funding if we go down that route. The sport isn't quite big enough yet with enough cash flow to stand on it's own like some of the bigger sporting leagues can (NFL, NBA, etc)
It's stuff all from what I've heard. Not worth worrying about.

We currently have a very mean govt. If they put $10 mil in something they think that's a big deal. That's not that much more than Gov's contract.

So glad we have Kelly, he's a big boost.

Last edited:

We currently have a very mean govt. If they put $10 mil in something they think that's a big deal. That's not that much more than Gov's contract.

Interesting that government funding should be tied to ASADA (i.e. WADA). The government accepts to tie funding to WADA compliance when WADA is not a government body. 50% of the WADA Board is government reps (Australia is actually on the Board at the moment, in the person of Senator Richard Colbeck, a Federal Minister). The rest including the Chair of the Board are 'representatives of the Olympic Movement', which has yet to shed the last vestiges of feudalism. Rulings on cases delivered under the authority of the Board have precedence over national laws. Governments happily play along with WADA, even if it means that penalties are way heavier than would apply to a similar act under the national law. The fact that Willy is threatened with a possible 4-year ban for what he has done is totally ludicrous and a violation of his human rights.

Wrong tree. Check out PED in sport. If it isn't policed heavily it rapidly becomed mandatorry to use PED if youy want to compete. Then check out the side effects of the nasties.
Willi was dumb enough to tamper with a test - all else is irrelevant.

There are provisions that allow for the process to be expedited at the athletes request. Willie hasn't done that and from the sounds of it won't.
Yep, there is no real point expediting it. While his suspension is provisional he can train and attend the club. When it is official he can't. As the provisional ban counts as time served it is in his best interest (and the clubs) to draw it out to an extent.

Better being able to train for 9 months of a (hopefully) 18 month ban than not!

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

will he be training with us though? Seems like he’s been home this whole time and I can’t really see him coming back to the club any time soon.

agree its better to draw it out if he stays integrated into the club but probably not if he’s just at home waiting and worrying

Remove this Banner Ad

Back