Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Harley implied with the use of the word involving that their was something extra on top and its been mentioned.

He also mentioned 5+9 wouldn't get it done so their offer was worth more then that.

Based on what Harley has said and what has been said elsewhere I firmly believe that a 2nd was added to those picks, you don't and that is your business.

So now you believe as whereas earlier you claimed.

You are all over the shop.

As for 5+9 never getting job done. Harleys own comments don't line up.

He said they were told early that 5 and 9 would not get it done and then said their final offer was 9 plus a future 1st which is worse. Why would they offer a worse deal when they know the better deal will be turned down?

It is more likely they were told that a deal revolving around 5 or 9 would not get it done. (Thus the claims of 5 and 25 being offered)

He never offered the two of them together so we will never know what Dodo would have done.

Skull Face

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
So now you believe as whereas earlier you claimed.

You are all over the shop.

As for 5+9 never getting job done. Harleys own comments don't line up.

He said they were told early that 5 and 9 would not get it done and then said their final offer was 9 plus a future 1st which is worse. Why would they offer a worse deal when they know the better deal will be turned down?

It is more likely they were told that a deal revolving around 5 or 9 would not get it done. (Thus the claims of 5 and 25 being offered)

He never offered the two of them together so we will never know what Dodo would have done.
You make up whatever s**t you like to help sleep at night, you rejected 4+9+23 deal with it.

Tig017

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Carlton should be receiving more scrutiny for this. Carlton were only prepared to offer pick 9 with something coming back, which is absolutely laughable for a contracted player as good as Papley.

If Papley tries to move next year, I highly doubt he nominates Carlton. Silvagni is the most unreasonable list manager in the competition, hands down.

Carlton should be receiving more scrutiny for this. Carlton were only prepared to offer pick 9 with something coming back,

Got a source for this one?

Sydney were happy enough to accept a deal for Papley but didn't because they weren't getting Daniher, so I'm not sure any of your post rings true.

Jimbojay

Debutant
Feb 11, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton should be receiving more scrutiny for this. Carlton were only prepared to offer pick 9 with something coming back, which is absolutely laughable for a contracted player as good as Papley.

If Papley tries to move next year, I highly doubt he nominates Carlton. Silvagni is the most unreasonable list manager in the competition, hands down.

Except Papley's manager come out today praising how Carlton approached it?

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
So apparently we ended up offering pick 9 straight swap and Sydney said no.

They are in their rights to reject, but that's a good offer and Carlton would be negligent to offer more.

We were reasonable and did what we could to get the deal done.

Tig017

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Got a source for this one?

Sydney were happy enough to accept a deal for Papley but didn't because they weren't getting Daniher, so I'm not sure any of your post rings true.
Silvagni in his post trade window interview.

Silvagni in his post trade window interview.

The interview where he said pick 9 was "involved" in the deal?

That's the most I've seen anyone within the club speak of the deal so I'm not sure how you're so confident about what the deal looked like.

The fact is a deal did not get done but Papley's manager has spoken glowingly of Carlton today so I am prepared to say your initial post was garbage. On top of that it seems pick 9 formed a part of the deal offered by Sydney to Essendon for Daniher, so it is fair and reasonable to assume the Swans were confident of getting a deal done with Carlton if need be.

If Papley wants out again this time next year Carlton will certainly be in with a good shot of landing him.

TwiggleyFanClub

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Please. If Daniher was actually happening, someone would have blinked And we’d all be whinging about something else right now. 9 for Papley straight swap would have been maybe a little over, but acceptable considering he’s under contract.

And Dodo still clearly leads the comp for difficult list managers.

Pick 9 might seem overs but for us, it's not. Actually thought pick 9 was unders, still do. Now for the record I did feel we would have traded him as we usually do take unders (which is just dumb). He really should not have signed a long term deal if he had interest in moving to Victoria.

teddies

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
hypothetically speaking, if Sydney had told Calton earlier that Papley wasn't moving because they couldn't get the Daniher trade done, would Carlton have chased a different established player with pick 9 or taken it to the draft?

'cause if Sydney were telling SOS they were confident of getting Daniher over the line and to hang in there, that's pretty dog. At the same time, to hedge your entire trade period on freakin' Dodo blinking at the last minute is risky AF and kinda stupid.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
hypothetically speaking, if Sydney had told Calton earlier that Papley wasn't moving because they couldn't get the Daniher trade done, would Carlton have chased a different established player with pick 9 or taken it to the draft?

'cause if Sydney were telling SOS they were confident of getting Daniher over the line and to hang in there, that's pretty dog. At the same time, to hedge your entire trade period on freakin' Dodo blinking at the last minute is risky AF and kinda stupid.

I think we probably just take it to the draft.

However, it seems that previously we thought that both Daniher would get traded, and if he didn't, we would still get the trade done. And then that possibility changed in the 48 hours prior to the draft, so that it was 100% reliant on Daniher getting done.

SOS and Dodoro apparently had lunch a few times over the trade period. I'm sure he'd have had an inkling it was unlikely to happen.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
So apparently we ended up offering pick 9 straight swap and Sydney said no.

They are in their rights to reject, but that's a good offer and Carlton would be negligent to offer more.

We were reasonable and did what we could to get the deal done.

Yep, all good.
Swans did right thing by themselves and we did too.
I think Dodo did right thing for his Dons IF he is super confident he can have Daniher wanting to stay at Essendon is 12 months time.

That is the trade period. You are not always going to find or get the thing you want.

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 9 might seem overs but for us, it's not. Actually thought pick 9 was unders, still do. Now for the record I did feel we would have traded him as we usually do take unders (which is just dumb). He really should not have signed a long term deal if he had interest in moving to Victoria.
pick 9 unders, what an absolute joke

pick 9 unders, what an absolute joke

For a guy with 4 years left on his deal yes it is. As it is we would have accepted it but doesn’t mean it’s not on the unders side

Back