What just happened? The Shane Edwards freak show

Every now and then, not often you come across a player so sleight of hand, so efficient that you barely see it. They go through a career doing this so well that nobody even notices, no carry on from commentators like a Dusty or a Danger but just loved and appreciated by supporters and lovers of the game without the fanfare.
Usually this is for brilliant players who play an unfulfilled 80 odd game career but rarely one who plays over 200 games and in 2 premierships.
Just watching a replay of the prelim where Shedda nails Lambert in the last quarter followed by an amazing dummy and signature rocket handball out of the centre it made me think? Had there ever been a more under appreciated and underrated player by the media and footy fans not Richmond aligned?
His 2017 GF was off the charts for one and never got mentioned and 2019 was not far behind.
Can you think of a player similar at another club so good yet so unrecognized in your time? And what is your favorite Shedda game or moment not afforded the plaudits of others?
The guy is special.

Last edited:

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Every now and then, not often you come across a player so slight of hand, so efficient that you barely see it. They go through a career doing this so well that nobody even notices, no carry on from commentators like a Dusty or a Danger but just loved and appreciated by supporters and lovers of the game without the fanfare.
Usually this is for brilliant players who play an unfulfilled 80 odd game career but rarely one who plays over 200 games and in 2 premierships.
Just watching a replay of the prelim where Shedda nails Lambert in the last quarter followed by an amazing dummy and signature rocket handball out of the centre it made me think? Had there ever been a more under appreciated and underrated player by the media and footy fans not Richmknd aligned?
His 2017 GF was off the charts for one and never got mentioned and 2019 was not far behind.
Can you think of a player similar at another club so good yet so unrecognized in your time? And what is your favorite Shedda game or moment not afforded the plaudits of others?
The guy is special.
Bloody oath he is.

His awareness of play outside of his field of vision is amazing. I can't pick an exact one because there are so many, but the amount of over the head handballs that go straight to the chest of a tiger is incredible. I know all our players are good at it, but his ability to find a teammate when he has no right to is my favourite shedda thing.

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Every now and then, not often you come across a player so slight of hand, so efficient that you barely see it. They go through a career doing this so well that nobody even notices, no carry on from commentators like a Dusty or a Danger but just loved and appreciated by supporters and lovers of the game without the fanfare.
Just watching a replay of the prelim where Shedda nails Lambert in the last quarter followed by an amazing dummy and signature rocket handball out of the centre it made me think? Had there ever been a more under appreciated and underrated player by the media and footy fans not Richmknd aligned?
The guy is special.
too many to mention.

the dreamtime Yiooken award game.
2017 gf handball masterclass.
2019 gf particularly his mongrel including bump on Hopper.

are ones that spring to mind.

dustysnecktattoo

Club Legend
May 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s too true, as much as people say they are watching the game on mute they aren’t and commentators are subliminally or sub conciously putting other players names in your head over and over even when other players have the ball that you forget the likes of Edwards doing great things, would be many players out there like that

The guy is special.

And the best thing is danger, he’s a fine wine. Maturing nicely, think he’ll be ready in a year or two.

Perks

Gosha Gosha Gosha ??
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
What baffles me is the lack of respect opposition coaches give him. Has he ever been tagged in his life or even had a player pay close attention to him? He seems to waltz around and do as he pleases, all the time. He’s also crucial to setting up our forward surge with his vision and electric hands, so you’d think someone would eventually try to make life semi-difficult for him, but they don’t.

The amount of times he has gathered the ball in congestion (usually on the half back), spotted a teammate in his peripheral vision then released them into space, which resulted in a forward fifty entry or scoring involvement would be through the roof.

I never used to rate him (early days), but he’s an outright gun. He can play half back, inside mid, wing and half forward, whilst looking elite in every single one of those positions. A highly skilled bonafide star of the competition who is criminally underrated because he plays in a “system based” team full of role players plus Dustin Martin.

aislegi

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
The guy is special.

He did pick up Norm Smith and AFLCA votes for the 2017 Grand Final

Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
too many to mention.

the dreamtime Yiooken award game.
2017 gf handball masterclass.
2019 gf particularly his mongrel including bump on Hopper.

are ones that spring to mind.

re. 2017 GF, his 2nd quarter especially was a masterclass. The pressure was manic, and his clean hands started many scoring-chains. Was the spiritual normy of 2017

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
What baffles me is the lack of respect opposition coaches give him. Has he ever been tagged in his life or even had a player pay close attention to him? He seems to waltz around and do as he pleases, all the time. He’s also crucial to setting up our forward surge with his vision and electric hands, so you’d think someone would eventually try to make life semi-difficult for him, but they don’t.

The amount of times he has gathered the ball in congestion (usually on the half back), spotted a teammate in his peripheral vision then released them into space, which resulted in a forward fifty entry or scoring involvement would be through the roof.

I never used to rate him (early days), but he’s an outright gun. He can play half back, inside mid, wing and half forward, whilst looking elite in every single one of those positions. A highly skilled bonafide star of the competition who is criminally underrated because he plays in a “system based” team full of role players plus Dustin Martin.
he and Houli don't get attention because they worry about Martin and now Prestia also.

Perks

Gosha Gosha Gosha ??
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
he and Houli don't get attention because they worry about Martin and now Prestia also.
The problem is you can’t shut them all down and if you manage to successfully shut one down, someone else will step up.

But you’re right, Houli is another one. His prelim and GF were sublime. What a freak. Embraces the big moments.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
The guy is special.

The goal at 1.40 is second only to Cotch QF17 in outright brilliance.

How people can’t rate someone who can do what he does in these highlights is beyond me. And it’s only gotten better since 2015.

Seriously needs someone to edit a crazy highlights vid of him tho.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
If you blink you won't notice the brilliant handball under pressure to Cotch that setup Graham for his first goal Q2 4:16.

I never miss that one or the lead up play where he wins the clearance to get it forward in the first place before that brilliant follow up work.

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I never miss that one or the lead up play where he wins the clearance to get it forward in the first place before that brilliant follow up work.
Yeah Edwards at his absolute best. And it came just after Townsend introduced Crouch to the MCG turf. Really the two consecutive plays that launched our era, announced the arrival of Jack Graham and was the beginning of the end for The Crows.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
The guy is special.

Love these threads,

Edwards is a superstar, must now be remembered as our second greatest indigenous footballer ever .

And much much better than Cyril.

How I wish that they never locked that thread

Beautifully put. I too struggled with early days but he’s proved me wrong x 1000.

Back