Opinion 2019 Trade Period - Pass or Fail

How do you rate the AFC's 2019 trade period?

• Reid smashed it! King of the world!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm ok with it. Reckon we got rid of some deadwood and have come out on top.

Votes: 38 31.7%
  • I'll let you know in 3 years.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • Not reamed, but feeling a little sore around the edges.

Votes: 44 36.7%
  • WTF just happened?!?

Votes: 21 17.5%

• Total voters

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not happy with some of the losses - CEY, Greenwood and Keath. Though I get that we are making a firm stance to aim for a serious rebuild. What is pleasing is that there are plenty of spots up for grabs, which hopefully makes this preseason the most intense preseason ever to compete for the regular spots. Eager to see who we can grab from the National Draft, and to see which SANFL players will be our next Greenwood/Keath/Doedee?

Flying_as_One1991

Premium Gold
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Las Vegas Golden Knights, NY Mets
We didn't get the Suns' future second round pick for Greenwood - it was their future third and fourth round picks.

That’s right my bad. Still probably what he is worth. Had a good 2017 but been ok without being great since but think Pyke had a lot to do with that

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did you watch the bulldogs V GWS final or bulldogs V Adelaide game? They have no key defenders and Keath won’t improve that at all.

We screwed up at the start of trade week by telling everyone we want draft picks and players gone. It devalued our bargaining position and we got what we got.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
So we failed but it’s ok we did it to ourselves so it’s not a fail

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
For me it was the beginning of fixing the club. The 2nd part of the fix will come next year at the end of 2020. We have cleared a good deal of salary cap room that can be used to keep the future and hopefully attract a free agent and or attract a top line trade. Next year will be very important to find our best mix of players long term for the future and Nicks must play youth over an aging player or a player that has limitations that will likely be traded. 2020 trade and draft will likely be where the club excels and starts to build towards making the finals in 2021.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hopefully we can do better than just Gould. He’d be great with our second pick
if you had the chance to draft S Hurn with pick 4 in a weak draft woyld you have? if he is still available with ports pick 12 i reckon they will grab him.

Aug 12, 2004
Not in Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC, Arsenal
Disagree. You dont go looking for player and then set out the rules like "we wont trade pick 13". If you dont want to do that then dont go on the search for a trade. It should be the other way round. If you want Keath then you must be prepared to use your pick 13 in the deal. I mean they are the ones who want to shop. You dont go into wollies and pick what you want then rollup and say I dont have enough. I have a $20 note but I dont want to use it. Thats crap. We should have held out. After all the Dogs were the ones who felt that by getting Bruce and Keath would put them in there window. That should have raised Keaths price.
Nor do you go to Woolies and pay $20 for a $10 item. Its a crap analogy, no player has a set price.

At some point you have to accept that you werent there and have absolutely zero idea how the negotiation developed. Its actually pretty naive to keep throwing up claims that we should have held out etc etc. Walking away with nothing for Keath would have made the club look like far bigger dickheads than walking away with what we got. I think you will find most clubs pursuing players are quite happy to take their chances picking up the player in the PSD. History suggests they don't get picked by other clubs.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the most important step is what happens next. Will we try to upgrade in picks or go to the draft with that healthy looking hand? Hamish will be weeing himself with excitement!
The first 3 are good picks but tje last 3 are somewhat speculative.

We'd want to get another top 15 in IMO

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm interested whether any clubs have training in negotiation skills, or if they just rely on organic growth of the list manager.

I'm actually surprised there isn't an official trade negotiation manager role with their sole job of getting the best deal

I'm interested whether any clubs have training in negotiation skills, or if they just rely on organic growth of the list manager.

I'm actually surprised there isn't an official trade negotiation manager role with their sole job of getting the best deal

The whole point of a list manager is to get the best deals for the club in terms of player contracts and trading.

If they're hopeless at that and need someone else to negotiate, probably aren't suitable for the role

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
Nor do you go to Woolies and pay $20 for a $10 item. Its a crap analogy, no player has a set price.

At some point you have to accept that you werent there and have absolutely zero idea how the negotiation developed. Its actually pretty naive to keep throwing up claims that we should have held out etc etc. Walking away with nothing for Keath would have made the club look like far bigger dickheads than walking away with what we got. I think you will find most clubs pursuing players are quite happy to take their chances picking up the player in the PSD. History suggests they don't get picked by other clubs.

Believe me I do understand that we dont know all the ins and outs of what goes on behind the scenes. I also accept that Reid isn't an idiot. However I also believe that our offer ( and I am assuming we would have made an offer) of Keath and pick 23 for pick 13 was a fair offer and we should have held out. If our demand was for a straight swap of Keath for pick 13 then holding out for something that is unrealistic is simply stupid.

The fear of losing Keath for nothing would be very real for Reid but at some point we will need to demonstrate to the AFL community that we wont be pushed around. Would the Dogs have been prepared to lose Keath. Relying on the PSD isnt a gaurantee of getting your man. According to every commentator the Dogs only had to pick up Bruce and Keath to fill the final pieces to be a genuine threat next year. That makes both those players value shoot up. So would the dogs have risked it. For me if a side is that close then logically the dogs wouldn't have risked it. We will never know.

This year there has been a change in the undertone during the trading period. Clubs are beginning to say "sorry but we wont let you go". I know that may have applied to contracted players but someone will have the balls to test the effectiveness of the threat of being sent to the PSD. Of course doing it this year with Greenwood wouldn't have worked because the Suns had the first pick.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have no idea, can only go by what I’ve read. Serong and Flanders seem to have assets that are harder to attain rather than a 3rd type defender
Doedee, Lever -dont understimate the value of a 3rd defender. youre right tjough. i just think Gould could blossom into a quality player and the go home risk shouldnt be a problem. i also likr the idea of another young bid bodied hardnut joining Fog and Frampton. We have bern cryingout for tbese types for 2 decades.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
The whole point of a list manager is to get the best deals for the club in terms of player contracts and trading.

If they're hopeless at that and need someone else to negotiate, probably aren't suitable for the role
but they don't act alone - it's not like list management is a one person team. The position could be reporting to the List Manager, but focus on the F2F interaction, taking direction from the LM team. Nothing wrong with getting an expert in to perform a role.

What you said is like saying a forward coach is no good if they can't teach goal kicking skills. There is more to it than that.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I have no idea, can only go by what I’ve read. Serong and Flanders seem to have assets that are harder to attain rather than a 3rd type defender
Have you actually ever watched Lachie Ash, Hayden Young or Will Gould play?, none of the three are what I'd describe as just "another" 3rd type defender, for starters all three are elite highly penetrating kicks, great readers of the play and absolutely set up plays further up the field almost every time they get a possession....all 3 project as future gun players.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
8/10

It's Jake not Will Gaz....
ADELAIDE
IN: Billy Frampton, picks 37, 45, 49, 2020 second-round pick (WB), 2020 fourth-round (Carl), 2020 fourth-round (GC)

OUT: Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Eddie Betts, Sam Jacobs, Hugh Greenwood, Alex Keath, Josh Jenkins, 2020 third-round

similars

DRAFT PICKS: 4, 23, 28, 37, 45, 49

BUCKENARA SAYS: When you look at the players that have gone out, while there are six of them, the Crows actually haven’t lost that much. Betts is at the end of his career and so is Jenkins, while Reilly O’Brien basically took over from Sam Jacobs as No.1 ruck this year and Cam Ellis-Yolmen is a depth player given Brad and Matt Crouch are very similar players who do the grunt work. The ones they would have liked to have kept were Hugh Greenwood and Alex Keath — Keath more so — but again, with Tom Doedee coming back from a knee reconstruction next year, Daniel Talia and Kyle Hartigan in the key defensive roles as well as Will Kelly, there is enough there to cover his loss. With three picks inside the top-30, the Crows can bring in some more nice players to add to the glut of young talent they already have in the likes of Darcy Fogarty, Chayce Jones, Ned McHenry, Wayne Milera, Myles Poholke and Tyson Stengle.

RATING: 8/10

Back