Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That vid is everything i want after a season. Just some good honest reflection (i'll watch some highlight vids too haha).

Love for Fages.

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Robbos top 50 2019

50. Zach Merrett (Ess)
49. Clayton Oliver (Melb)
48. Andrew Gaff (WC)
47. Rowan Marshall (St. K)
46. Phil Davis (GWS)
45. Dane Rampe (Syd)
44. Hugh McCluggage (Bris)
43. Brad Hill (Fre)
42. Brad Crouch (Adel)
41. Nick Vlastuin (Rich)
40. Zac Williams (GWS)
39. Harris Andrews (Bris)
38. Ben Cunnington (Nth Melb)
37. Tom Stewart (Geel)
36. Ben Brown (Nth Melb)
35. Shannon Hurn (WC)
34. Todd Goldstein (Nth Melb)
33. Adam Treloar (Coll)
32. Gary Ablett (Geel)
31. Shaun Higgins (Nth Melb)
30. Tim Taranto (GWS)
29. Travis Boak (Pt. Adel)
28. Jeremy McGovern (WC)
27. Jack Darling (WC)
26. Shane Edwards (Rich)
25. Josh Dunkley (WB)
24. Bachar Houli (Rich)
23. Tom Hawkins (Geel)
22. Nick Haynes (GWS)
21. Michael Walters (Fre)
20. Dylan Grimes (Rich)
19. Luke Shuey (WC)
18. Tom Lynch (Rich)
17. Jeremy Cameron (GWS)
16. Charlie Cameron (Bris)
15. Scott Pendlebury (Coll)
14. Dayne Zorko (Bris)
13. Elliot Yeo (WC)
12. Jack Macrae (WB)
11. Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
10. Max Gawn (Melb)
9. Dion Prestia (Rich)
8. Lachie Neale (Bris)
7. Tim Kelly (Geel)
6. Brodie Grundy (Coll)
5. Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
4. Patrick Cripps (Carl)
3. Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
2. Nat Fyfe (Fre)
1. Dustin Martin (Rich)

afl.com.au’s take on our remaining uncontracted players.

In limbo: With a net gain of one player during Trade Period and the Lions not yet making any delistings, Josh Walker, Ryan Bastinac and Ben Keays' futures are in doubt. There are higher hopes for Sam Skinner and Corey Lyons to win new deals. Midfielder Nick Robertson has interest from elsewhere and could depart as a delisted free agent, while Matt Eagles should retain Category B status. With the Lions missing on Jamie Elliott, small forward Allen Christensen (pictured) is in a good position to earn a new deal.

Delisted: Nil
Retired: Luke Hodge

Last edited:

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd be devoed for Keays if he didn't get one more year. An injury to bundy if/when he gets another year and who comes in? When we were moving the ball closer to the 50 and trying to hit another chiseler to better position he showed he listened and applied himself to his preseason task which was to play sml fwd even though he got limited chances. Hes built his body and game and delisting him after this year with no injuries in our team would be criminal for mine

With a full preseason into Adams and the expectation on the role at halfback to grow between others, Lesters time is probably unfortunately up in the firsts but I hope we keep him for coaching and playing in the neafl maybe also. As we are trying new talls Walker is surely gone too, and if only one can have an answerth like breakout that role will be improved on.

Bastinac gone

Pride of lions

Team Captain
Nov 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Any chance that Allison is delisted? I know he is still contracted for another year but doesn’t seem to be in their plans so maybe he gets his contract paid out and delisted.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Any chance that Allison is delisted? I know he is still contracted for another year but doesn’t seem to be in their plans so maybe he gets his contract paid out and delisted.
I don't see it either he is only 21, developing tall, just wonder what the coaches plans are for him

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I don't see it either he is only 21, developing tall, just wonder what the coaches plans are for him
He might be tall, but he’s not a KPP.

Unfortunately Allison is very similar to Cutler, but more willing to crack in or defend.

He’s very fast down a wing with a massive kick, but often struggles with his accuracy.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It simply might come down to a choice between Keays or Corey Lyons.
Is there merit in doing what Pride of Lions was saying then? If we are keeping Allison on for another year because he is contracted, but no longer see him as long term, do we have to choose between c Lyons and Keays or can a call be made on Allison and pay him out for that last year.

Is there merit in doing what Pride of Lions was saying then? If we are keeping Allison on for another year because he is contracted, but no longer see him as long term, do we have to choose between c Lyons and Keays or can a call be made on Allison and pay him out for that last year.
It's possible but Allison is on the rookie list. We can't re-sign anyone into his spot. They're still going to have to be delisted and then taken in the rookie draft, and we can do that anyway because we already have at least two spots free (Bastinac and OMac).

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
It's possible but Allison is on the rookie list. We can't re-sign anyone into his spot. They're still going to have to be delisted and then taken in the rookie draft, and we can do that anyway because we already have at least two spots free (Bastinac and OMac).
Hinge? As well. He’s a third year rookie, so he’s either delist or upgrade to the senior list.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cool thanks, yeah im sure the decisions being made are bloody tough and aided in no part by our rapid rise this year. I will be unhappy whatever way it goes for all of our more ? guys (imo) bundy, keays, c lyons, and even hinge who I thought showed something when he came in. Will wait and see :(

I have a feeling Keays might be the unlucky man out. Been on the list for a while, great NEAFL player, never seems to quite grasp a spot at senior level in an area where we're relatively set now.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have a feeling Keays might be the unlucky man out. Been on the list for a while, great NEAFL player, never seems to quite grasp a spot at senior level in an area where we're relatively set now.
Bens last game in the senior side was good. He is good enough to be a regular best 22 but needs to wait his chance either through injury or bad form which wasnt all that common this year. If he gets another chance, I am confident he will regain his spot.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would love to see Bundy stay. His best is good enough for the 22. His consistency worries me.
Some would argue that giving him another year would exclude a young gun's chance to show us what he's got into the future. Either way, the coaching staff will make a balanced decision on Bundy. His experience is his most valuable asset right at this time in my opinion.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some would argue that giving him another year would exclude a young gun's chance to show us what he's got into the future. Either way, the coaching staff will make a balanced decision on Bundy. His experience is his most valuable asset right at this time in my opinion.
Agree his experience could make a HUGE difference. If he can get his body right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back