Preview Moving on - the future begins now

Remove this Banner Ad

After losing so many members of staff and players I hope Adelaide can turn their fortunes around in the next couple of years. We need a strong contingent of interstate clubs to keep the Vic teams honest.

Also I hate Port Adelaide because they are the Freo Dockers of South Australia, and it sh*ts me to tears watching them be better onfield than you guys. Hurry up and start squaring the Showdown ledger!

But we are ahead in the Showdown ledger?

Definitely agree with point 1. Preferably a mid who has some pace as well.

Interesting to hear that Reid said one of our priorities was to bring in a young ruck. I wonder if we go down the path of the pick swap with GWS, thinking we can grab Dylan Stephens and maybe Luke Jackson from WA (200+cm mobile and super athletic ruckman).
Wouldn't be the worst result.
Jackson is not 200+cm he's 198cm unless he's grown since the Draft Combine and that's short for an AFL Ruckman these days.

It went pear-shaped for you lot when you let Port win a flag. Now they think that they're a legitimate football association with a million SANFL flags to their name.

Ya gotta keep that boot firmly and squarely planted on the throat at all times. If little bro is only ever concerned with beating you then they never get the opportunity to win a premiership and legitimise themselves to the wider AFL. Don't let it happen again.

I was kinda hoping for a few years back when the thought of Eagles-Freo GF was looking like a reality. Its such a shame that never happened. Back in 2014?

You have to wonder though with all your flags, 4? If you lost to them just that once in a GF, the trolling would have been painful. Your neighbours would have bought guns to a knife fight if you ever manage to play them in a GF.

Fortunately for us we tore Port apart at the seams when we played them in an epic Showdown final.

After losing so many members of staff and players I hope Adelaide can turn their fortunes around in the next couple of years. We need a strong contingent of interstate clubs to keep the Vic teams honest.

Also I hate Port Adelaide because they are the Freo Dockers of South Australia, and it sh*ts me to tears watching them be better onfield than you guys. Hurry up and start squaring the Showdown ledger!
We are 24 they are 23. They were ahead by about 5. We’ve caught them over the Pyke years.

Not sure we have lost anything from the Grand Final side of 2017.
I have listed our Grand Final team against what could be our Round 1 Side depending on what unfolds in the draft.
All I'm hearing is the media seem to think we are in a world of pain with the personnel we have lost, the 2020 team looks OK to me..

2017 Adelaide Grand Final Team

B: R. Laird, K. Hartigan, J. Lever
HB: P. Seedsman, D. Talia, L. Brown
C: D. Mackay, R. Sloane, R. Atkins
HF: C. Cameron, J. Jenkins, E. Betts
F: T. Lynch, T. Walker, R. Douglas
FOLL: S. Jacobs, B. Crouch, M. Crouch
I/C: R. Knight, J. Kelly, H. Greenwood, A. Otten
EMG: W. Milera, A. Keath, R. O’Brien

"Proposed" 2020 Team

B: R. Laird, K. Hartigan, T. Doedee
HB: P. Seedsman, D. Talia, L. Brown
C: W. Milera, R. Sloane, C. Jones
HF: B. Smith, D. Fogarty, J. Galucci
F: T. Lynch, T. Walker, L.Murphy
FOLL: R. O’Brien, B. Crouch, M. Crouch
I/C: R. Knight, J. Kelly, E Himmelberg, B. Gibbs
EMG: W. Frampton, R.Atkins, D. Mackay N. McHenry

The forward pockets of Betts and Cameron are massive holes. The 2017 version of Betts, was Blue Chip Elite, Cameron was a B+ small forward at the time.
Cameron had the luxury of getting the worst opposition defender.

I became very disinterested in the AFC around he middle of last year when I realised just how toxic things were in the club, how deep seated this was and just how much spin we were being fed. I have only posted a couple of times since then. While I am now prepared to move on it is up to the club to regain my trust through honesty and transparency. Making mistakes is one thing. We all do that. It is the deceit, scapegoating and game playing that goes with it that I don't want to see. Chapman says he is going at the end of next year, then he must keep his word. Anyway, for me only one thing will do the talking. Walking the talk! That doesn't mean winning every game. What it does mean is doing what one says, from all involved.

I remember in 1996 when a certain Malcolm Blight came to the club & the big 4 (Jarman, McDermott, McGuinness & Anderson) were given the flick. Everyone tipped Adelaide to finish close to bottom & we all know what happened in 1997.
Not saying the same will happen in 2020 but talk of Adelaide finishing bottom 4 is ludicrous. Other than Keath, none of the other players that have left would have been guaranteed a spot in their best 22 next season.

QUOTE="GROTTO, post: 63394568, member: 144542"]
+1

I think its unfair you have such a soft baby brother trying to be tougher than the Eagles. Seriously must be humiliating being a Freo supporter when you compare the Eagles success to theirs.

Crows really should have won at least one more flag in either 00s or the 2010s. That for me was a failure by the Club.

Port will need a cleanout and fortunately we started a year ahead of them. They could reach Freo standards without too much help if they continue their slide.
[/QUOTE]

You would think they would be humiliated. But it is not the case. There is a delusion, a false sense of bravado that they display. Because they are a “real” club apparently. They have “morals”. Any success (LOL) that they have achieved and will achieve in future is deserved and earned, unlike the Evil West Coast. It is truly bizarre really :$

We can only hope Poort sink to those (on field) standards. We all remember what happens then... out comes the begging bowl again. Fremantle are certainly in a far stronger off field position than Port...

It is so sad that Dear Leader Ross departed, he had so much more work to do 😭

I have the utmost respect and admiration for you guys in having to endure 2004! But then the joy of 119. Oh man, what a day that would have been. I only wish the 2013 Grand Final was a similar thrashing (as good as it was haha). I don’t think I could ever want or handle the prospect of playing Fremantle in a Grand Final... The thought of losing... nope, no way!

Will it though? I'm not that sure it will be as bad as what people might think. Despite what the AFL media want us to believe our spine and midfield are still intact, and look at the existing coverage of the players we've lost.

SAUCE: ROB, Strachan, Berg, Frampton = Win
DOUGLAS: Gooch, Milera, Jones, Ned = Win
BETTS: Gooch, Stengle, McAdam, Murphy = 50/50
KEATH: Doedee, Kelly, Hamill, McPherson = If Doedee comes back without drama, Win
GREENWOOD: Gibbs, Poholke, Wilson, Jones, Sloane (I genuinely believe it time for him to start a Greenwood like rotation in 2020) = WIN (although his pack marking will be missed)
JJ: FOG, Berg, Frampton = MASSIVE WIN
CEY: Gibbs, Poholke, Wilson, Crouches x 2 = I like CEY, but he's absolutely coverable with the guys we have, WIN
OTTEN: Butts (admittedly the role of depth KPD is a little light now). = LOSS (for now)

Sure we lose experience, but the guys we are replacing these "experienced guys" with are all in their 2nd to 5th year in an AFL system are are either already showing, or have the pedigree to show much more then the past players going forward!

I think they and the team in general is way more ready to go then people are giving them credit for!
Good post, I think the changes are great but we have lost in a couple of areas.

Our KP stocks have gone down with JJ, Keath and Otten gone and only Frampton in.

Big mid: we may be faster in the middle but do risk being the midget brigade. Against theCripps and Fyfe types we could be pushed around, definitely need to recruit some taller mids this draft

QUOTE="GROTTO, post: 63394568, member: 144542"]
+1

I think its unfair you have such a soft baby brother trying to be tougher than the Eagles. Seriously must be humiliating being a Freo supporter when you compare the Eagles success to theirs.

Crows really should have won at least one more flag in either 00s or the 2010s. That for me was a failure by the Club.

Port will need a cleanout and fortunately we started a year ahead of them. They could reach Freo standards without too much help if they continue their slide.

You would think they would be humiliated. But it is not the case. There is a delusion, a false sense of bravado that they display. Because they are a “real” club apparently. They have “morals”. Any success (LOL) that they have achieved and will achieve in future is deserved and earned, unlike the Evil West Coast. It is truly bizarre really :$

We can only hope Poort sink to those (on field) standards. We all remember what happens then... out comes the begging bowl again. Fremantle are certainly in a far stronger off field position than Port...

It is so sad that Dear Leader Ross departed, he had so much more work to do 😭

I have the utmost respect and admiration for you guys in having to endure 2004! But then the joy of 119. Oh man, what a day that would have been. I only wish the 2013 Grand Final was a similar thrashing (as good as it was haha). I don’t think I could ever want or handle the prospect of playing Fremantle in a Grand Final... The thought of losing... nope, no way!
[/QUOTE]

For me I cant wait till the day comes when the Crows play West Coast in a GF. I think it would be a real kick in the teeth to the AFL. I respect the eagles and I will never forget the way your supporters appluded our team after Walsh's passing. So one day in September in the future let the Crows and the Eagles fight it out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to move on, but there are still people at the club who oversaw the damage that was done in the past. I don't see how they can just be let off the hook and it almost feels like they're trying to use the whole "move on" philosophy to avoid any accountability or scrutiny for their past failures. For me, there are still questions this club needs to answer and it feels like, yet again, the club has managed to find a way to avoid answering those questions. Remember, they were using these same tactics when they were overseeing our club's fall from grace.

Again, I want to move on, but the club hijacked my passion for football at the highest level almost 30 years ago and since they managed to capture my passion for football, they also get the scrutiny that comes with that. I won't move on until the club answers all the unanswered questions from the past, or delivers me a premiership, or the people that are still there in highly influential positions have left (because there's no way they'll ever have to worry about being sacked or voted out, we hardly have any voting rights and we wouldn't even sack Trigg for the damage he did to our club).

The club has too much of a history of deceptive, secretive behaviour where they keep having serious issues and trying to cover them up. Remember, the external review didn't look at the board or administration, the same people who created, implemented and fine tuned public relations. They're responsible for making me seriously suspicious of how the club is run and they're all still there, hoping we can all move on and forget that they were the ones at the top, overseeing the damage being done to the club. For me, it feels like there is too much effort going in to protecting their image (possibly so they can all justify keeping their jobs) and they will sacrifice honesty and integrity to achieve it, even if it means paying some of Eddie's salary so he keeps silent about the camp.

As far as the on field product goes and the coaches, I'll move on, but others at the club haven't earned that right, the club deserves to continue to be scrutinised until they change their ways, the same ways that have damaged this club on multiple occasions in the past. I moved on after the Trigg nonsense, even though they tried to blame fans for the Tippett scandal and broke promises about answering questions. But what happened after many fans were gracious enough to move on despite being treated like crap? They screwed the pooch again AND they tried to put all the blame on the football department as if they didn't sign off on the people that were hired. No, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. There will be no moving on until I have gotten what I believe I'm owed for almost 30 years of mental and financial investment in this club.

I'm not looking for people to agree with me, just explaining why I can't and won't be moving on.

We all need to move on, yourself included but I do understand your feelings. What I would like to see is the removal of Chapman but before he goes I want him to do a press conference to explain what has happened at the club during the past two years. I dont want to hear those words "we must look forward". Well before we can truly look forward we must look at what has happened. We need a full explanation of what went on at that camp. What was it that truly effected some of our players. I know in Chapman's conference about our new coach he said we need to move on and in doing so he totally dismissed the issues of the past two years. Until the club lays it all out on the table the supporters will never truly be able to move on. If the club doesnt "clear the air" the media will never let it be and that means the supporters will never be allowed to be done with it.

Whilst I am pleased that there have been some changes I will still reserve my opinion of the clubs recent actions until I see who the three new coaches will be and who the other appointments are. I feel Nicks is a good start but I want to know who the rest of the new team is going to be.

we've moved on a heap of old players and we should enter 2020 with a very young list as a result with a damn good core

vic media already have us finishing bottom next year. prove them wrong
Last time vic media was touting that we were minor premiers....

Dude the ledger is AFC 24 - PAPs 23

Some much needed footy dept and list changes but trust is still broken for me.

Culture was another issue and the board, CEO and prior year captains have remained immune to any change at the club.

Well win between ten and 14 games next year, its after the honeymoon period when when s**t gets real.

If you notice for the first half of this year, it was good coaches we were getting beat by. Look at the fixture and see how many games against them we have and where, to determine if its 10 or 14 we win.

The appointments of mattner and godden last year, show that the club was planning for this.

Some much needed footy dept and list changes but trust is still broken for me.

Culture was another issue and the board, CEO and prior year captains have remained immune to any change at the club.
I'm in the camp (sorry to use this word!) that says you can't give rid of everyone at once, absolute chaos would ensue. Happy with the changes thus far + Chapman is going at the end of next year. That just leaves Fagan and Roo as the remaining divisive figures - amongst a part of the supporter group. Fagan and Roo's positions will become untenable if the off-field stuff doesn't turn around (it won't be on-field based IMO).

I'm in the camp (sorry to use this word!) that says you can't give rid of everyone at once, absolute chaos would ensue. Happy with the changes thus far + Chapman is going at the end of next year. That just leaves Fagan and Roo as the remaining divisive figures - amongst a part of the supporter group. Fagan and Roo's positions will become untenable if the off-field stuff doesn't turn around (it won't be on-field based IMO).
Roo's might become untenable if he keeps shooting his mouth off.

Fagan has taken steps to redeem himself by calling for the review, and the books look good still..... but in the end its always onfield that matters. In our instance wins and losses are secondary as long as we can see progression with the youngsters and a better game style

Imagine if our first possession next year is a dinky tap back to the centreman who handpasses backward to a little up and under sideways floating chip...

Well, I think that as a club we can finally say goodbye to the shambles the last 2 years have been.

It is fair to say that we have, possibly for our first time ever, gone in to full rebuild mode. This is no minor change, this is full 'burn it down and start again'.

Agree with your first sentence.

Disagree with your second, a full rebuild entails trading out your GOOD senior players for GOOD draft picks to hasten your rebuild.

We have actually retained all our GOOD senior players (+ MacKay) and we received no GOOD draft picks.

All we have done is chop out the deadwood, part of which should have occurred over the last few years. We have done it in one swoop.

As others have posted the players leaving are not leaving gaping holes (which happens in a full rebuild), we have players already on our list that offer more NOW than the players leaving.

We are no where near a "burn it down and start again" with our list - unless you believe the numpties on Trade Radio/SEN/Fox etc.

Agree with your first sentence.

Disagree with your second, a full rebuild entails trading out your GOOD senior players for GOOD draft picks to hasten your rebuild.

We have actually retained all our GOOD senior players (+ MacKay) and we received no GOOD draft picks.

All we have done is chop out the deadwood, part of which should have occurred over the last few years. We have done it in one swoop.

As others have posted the players leaving are not leaving gaping holes (which happens in a full rebuild), we have players already on our list that offer more NOW than the players leaving.

We are no where near a "burn it down and start again" with our list - unless you believe the numpties on Trade Radio/SEN/Fox etc.
You are right. It's not a full blown throw everything out and start again list rebuild. Doing that would be insane and wouldn't work anyway.

I guess I was more looking at the football department as a whole. When you see the end of the Football Manager, Coach, Head Assistant and Captain (or one of) you are definitely burning it down. I probably should have meant more a rebuild of the football department rather than the overall list.

Imagine if our first possession next year is a dinky tap back to the centreman who handpasses backward to a little up and under sideways floating chip...
And then spend the next 2 minutes sideways chipping, before turing the ball over and gifting a goal to Hawthorn in the goal square.....
Might be 20,000 supporters that stand straight up and walk out at that point.

Hard to say how we go next year. It’s more about 2022 onwards for me.
When Lukosius (assumes), Fogarty, Milera, Doedee, Jones, McHenry, Galluci, Pick 4 are all contributors and we have experienced guys like Grundy (asshmed), Laird, Crouch, Crouch, Smith, Brown, Atkins are all still going.

Other players who knows who will come on. Sholl, Hamill, McPherson, Butts, Knight, Poholke, Stengle, McAdam, Murphy, Himmelburg, Frampton, Davis, 5 picks this year, Edwards, Borlase, mystery player X, Dudley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back