Changes for next year, Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder what our ruck set up will be next season. It's hard to know who's better, Nank does a lot of that bullocking that lets us run from clearances even when he doesn't win the tap, while Soldo is a better tap ruckman and had improved his marking and decision making around the ground considerably.

Not sure we'll run with two ruckmen, but it did seem to work well thru the finals.
I'm pretty sure we will run with two rucks just as we will run with two key marking forwards. We made the one key forward, one ruck work in 2017 and 2018 because that is what we had. Two of each give us options, threats and stability across the ground while three would unbalance everything. We will fill out the remaining places from there and with so many automatic start ups there will be little scope for our large number of talented fringe players to get games for a while. I think our biggest challenge for 2020 will be to continue to develop and motivate our VFL group. Our AFL group will also be aware that any slip up in form or attitude will result in earlier game starting times and no easy return path into the main side. Good times ahead.

We’ve played plenty of great football with all four of Rance, Astbury, Grimes and Broad.

We won the 2017 grand final with the four of them playing. We played the majority of 2018 with them when the club finished top.

On paper it’s a lot of height in the one backline but they all offer a lot of flexibility. Grimes has proven he can match it and play on the best small forwards in the competition. Rance will often play as the interceptor and Broad can play a higher up out of defence and offers the the versatility of playing on a midsized player.

Astbury is really our only traditional tall defender, his role is just a vital as anyone in the team. He’s just the only one who’ll solely take an opposition tall.
I suspect they all play around Astbury...zipping here and there!
He's the guy on the gorilla forward who can match it for strength but if gets surprised by his gorilla forwards pace he is covered by his other back support...
Astbury is the rock they zip around...

Round 1 Tigers 2020

B: Grimes Astbury Rance
HB: Houli Vlastuin Stack
C: Pickett Prestia Caddy
HF: Castagna Lynch Bolton
F: Rioli Riewoldt Martin
R: Soldo Cotchin Graham
INT: Lambert Edwards Baker Nankervis
EMG: Short Broad Ross Balta

downloadfile.gif

N
Bit of left field here.
But with our defence being just as rock solid this year without general Rance.
Could we play Rance on the wing ala Richo?
not as crazy as it sounds, we tried him up forwards a few times.....he is a great utility player and will play well anywhere.

N

not as crazy as it sounds, we tried him up forwards a few times.....he is a great utility player and will play well anywhere.
If rance comes back from his acl ok I reckon he'll be better than ever. I wouldn't be taking him out of the backline. The rest had to step up this year and they did so hopefully he can play more loose as Grimes is better one on one. We are in a great position.

If anything Jack on a wing and bring in CCJ forward.

Wonder what our ruck set up will be next season. It's hard to know who's better, Nank does a lot of that bullocking that lets us run from clearances even when he doesn't win the tap, while Soldo is a better tap ruckman and had improved his marking and decision making around the ground considerably.

Not sure we'll run with two ruckmen, but it did seem to work well thru the finals.

ccj might be a beast after another preseason

depressed kid keeps making 100s

I'm pretty sure we will run with two rucks just as we will run with two key marking forwards. We made the one key forward, one ruck work in 2017 and 2018 because that is what we had. Two of each give us options, threats and stability across the ground while three would unbalance everything.

A problem is, if one of the smalls gets hurt the rotations go out the window and Soldo and Nank are on the ground together a lot. Which isnt ideal

ccj might be a beast after another preseason

depressed kid keeps making 100s

A problem is, if one of the smalls gets hurt the rotations go out the window and Soldo and Nank are on the ground together a lot. Which isnt ideal
Point taken Marcel P but if one of our talls gets hurt, a Soldo or Nank could provide cover for the game. Stress on rotations will always be a problem whoever goes down but our group these days is as fit as it could possibly be and is well placed to tough out these situations. I still believe a 2 ruck, 2 key forward model is best practice given the personnel we have. I'm not convinced Chol is ruck material but CCJ will need exposure at AFL level in 2020 to continue his development. Can't wait for the preseason games to see Dimma's thinking on the matter.

Point taken Marcel P but if one of our talls gets hurt, a Soldo or Nank could provide cover for the game. Stress on rotations will always be a problem whoever goes down but our group these days is as fit as it could possibly be and is well placed to tough out these situations. I still believe a 2 ruck, 2 key forward model is best practice given the personnel we have. I'm not convinced Chol is ruck material but CCJ will need exposure at AFL level in 2020 to continue his development. Can't wait for the preseason games to see Dimma's thinking on the matter.

yeah, i like two rucks & Riewoldt/Lynch too. finally stopped having Grigg-in-the-ruck nightmares

makes you appreciate (even more) how amazing Nank and Riewoldt were in '17 with the small ball system

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is advocating taking Houli out of the side, just that he turns 32 next year, so is perhaps a year or two or an injury away from being finished, so start getting games into a replacement or two.
Spot on he is not only 32 but there has been plenty of talk that next yr will be his last.

The posts are done with a bit of the future in mind and if Houli does drop off or get injured we need to look at the options back there.

It seems some posters get really cut up at any sort of mention of a favorite player being dropped even when its talked about in a sensible manner.

I think the club really will be having one eye on the future in Houlis case they wouldnt be doing their job if they didnt. But hey lets not even think about it.

Spot on he is not only 32 but there has been plenty of talk that next yr will be his last.

The posts are done with a bit of the future in mind and if Houli does drop off or get injured we need to look at the options back there.

It seems some posters get really cut up at any sort of mention of a favorite player being dropped even when its talked about in a sensible manner.

I think the club really will be having one eye on the future in Houlis case they wouldnt be doing their job if they didnt. But hey lets not even think about it.

Turner and Naish types seem a long way off

Stack might be better suited forward, middle

with Menadue Markov etc. seeminly on the way out sooner than later there doesnt seem to be as many options as one would like. Not sure if the like of Ross, RCD can play hbf?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

with Menadue Markov etc. seeminly on the way out sooner than later there doesnt seem to be as many options as one would like. Not sure if the like of Ross, RCD can play hbf?
Which is why I would advocate specifically looking for this type of player in the upcoming draft.

Should have said in my post above that I suspect Dimma was looking at this issue when he moved KMac to the VFL side to learn a more defensive back six role. If Kamdyn can get his head around this in a similar way that Caddy learned how to play wing, it's welcome back to the main group.

Should have said in my post above that I suspect Dimma was looking at this issue when he moved KMac to the VFL side to learn a more defensive back six role. If Kamdyn can get his head around this in a similar way that Caddy learned how to play wing, it's welcome back to the main group.

Mcintosh kicking is a bit of a worry for a modern backline player

Short and Baker are far from perfect but they usually are pretty clean

Last edited:

Those who could play Houlis role in 2021...

Baker
DES
Stack
Short
Pickett
Naish

I would hope that the recruiting team would be looking at a a really good all round HBFlanker with their no.19 pick. Geelong picked up Jordan Clarke last year who looks a great get as a HB. It seems our only real place for immediate improvement, once Houli is gone.

mopsy has done an essay on it above iirc
You mean in post 99:
B/ Grimes - Astbury - Vlastuin
H-B/ D-E-S - Rance - Houli, if Houli wasnt there Stack or Pickett.

or 145:
Back to the h/b line and i have said this a few times and copped abuse for thinking it.
Houli is 32 and yes he wont be dropped as a current A/A player who has performed really well for several seasons .He deserves his spot and a game.
I have always believed he has short comings but what he has brought to the table has outweighed them. For me Houlis competetion has been Short Baker and Ellis. Because of aspects of each players game Houli has been the front runner and i strongly believe there is massive improvement to be had by playing just one of them and that one is Houli.

or 159:
I think there are 5 locks, that is it they get selected no matter what.
Grimes - Astbury - Vlastuin
Houli - Rance - ?????
[/QUOTE]
Thank you for pointing out my thoughts on this so well.
Is relevant you cop abuse and ridicule for thinking about the end of a players career.

What i think the CLUB is likely to do, and they wont do a lot and what id like to see is not all that far apart.

Players like Stack Pickett Balta who they put 13 games into, (is it a stretch to think he will play even more next yr) ross and a few others becoming regulars
is apparently unpalattable because favorite players will have to miss out.

They won't drop him, and nor should they.

They won't drop him, and nor should they.
I think i have actually agreed with that sentiment several times.But hey lets not even talk about Houlis retirment after all he is still only 32 lol.
Some posters are so precious it makes for hard work to have any sort of decent conversation that doesnt follow club lines.

I would hope that the recruiting team would be looking at a a really good all round HBFlanker with their no.19 pick. Geelong picked up Jordan Clarke last year who looks a great get as a HB. It seems our only real place for immediate improvement, once Houli is gone.

i heard richmond were in for clarke and were expecting to draft him, given what it looked like was going to unfold from the gossip.

then, geelong changed their mind late and went for a hbf type at a late stage and selected j clarke

Players like Stack Pickett Balta who they put 13 games into, (is it a stretch to think he will play even more next yr) ross and a few others becoming regulars
is apparently unpalattable because favorite players will have to miss out.
[/QUOTE]
Stack and Pickett are locks next year (well judging by Pickett's single game which is not always how it goes). Ross similarly should be, add Rance and we only lost Ellis. Also Nank came back in for Balta, Chol, CCJ, so those three will all be pushing hard. And there are others, also pick 19 will possibly get you a very good player. So the bottom 6 players will be pushed out at times. Who would have thought we'd ever be in this situation.

Our back line was outstanding all of 2019 but i just cant help but feel we are one tall short and cant keep relying on Vlastuin playing taller......really feel like we needed to add another in the off-season

Oh wait a sec....

1571374544510.png

Those who could play Houlis role in 2021...

Baker
DES
Stack
Short
Pickett
Naish
Lets for arguments sake say its 2021.
What id like to see in the back half and yes its just a humble opinion .

F/B Vlastuin - Astbury - Grimes
H/B Stack - Balta - D-E-S Yes im backing des in to making it. Its assuming Houli and Rance have retired.Its assuming Balta becomes a good chb. Imo i advocated last yr we trade for a similar type to Harris Andrews i think a type like dougal Howard would have suited us this yr.

I dont have a lot of faith of either Miller or Garthwaite making it and Balta may not even be developed as a backman so for me a kpd or two is the priority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back