What just happened? The Shane Edwards freak show

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact is, if his name was Shane Rioli he would be close to the best Rioli that has ever played.

He is a player that gets into the right spots, gets the ball, but sometimes he makes he decision with such speed that the commentators don't even call his name. Shedda is the best handball in the game and is so underrated its laughable. But I also think, he loves that that's the case, because he is so highly rated internally.

He is a genuine star of the game. An out and out magician.

I know he's a walking highlight reel, but the one that sticks in my mind was in the 2017 Prelim when he set up Rioli for his 3rd or 4th (not sure?), with an over the head backwards handball. He absolutely meant to hit Rioli too - this was no "hope for the best out the back" type s**t. It was sublime, and true to form for Shedda, the disposal didn't get the plaudits it deserved.

How opposition teams don't tag him is just mind blowing - he absolutely cuts midfields to pieces.

He seems to be a ripper bloke as well.

Bloody oath he is.

His awareness of play outside of his field of vision is amazing. I can't pick an exact one because there are so many, but the amount of over the head handballs that go straight to the chest of a tiger is incredible. I know all our players are good at it, but his ability to find a teammate when he has no right to is my favourite shedda thing.
Oppo copy it...but they haven't the skills to match it...they still look like quick loopy 2handed throws ala Duckwood against us...
My worry is the maggots start to crack down on bad oppo over the head throws that even Sheds is not given the benefit of the doubt...:(

Love these threads,

Edwards is a superstar, must now be remembered as our second greatest indigenous footballer ever .

And much much better than Cyril.

How I wish that they never locked that thread

keep fighting the good fight here --->

Procrastinator35
is a bum! too

Last edited:
Great thread

The way he can release teammates into space by holding the ball a second longer and then wearing the body contact is an art form that very few players in the league can do these days.

The way he times his run to hit the fall of the ball off the pack at full speed is breathtaking. That play in the prelim I think where he burst through taking the ball off the pack and kicking to Lambert in the square sums up his extraordinary skillset.

I remember 2-3 years ago Dimma mentioned that Shed is the best centre clearance player per minutes spent in the centre in the league. We are lucky to have a player like him that we can put in virtually any part of the ground. Like a few have mentioned, I'll put my hand up - I lost patience and belief that hed ever become the player he is today.

More and more people I know are starting to notice him finally - my brother in law is a mad pies fan and hes just in awe of Shed and what he does out on the ground
Takes enormous courage to hang on to the footy and wear contact like that.

I remember a centre clearance against Carltoon later in the season, and how we dealt with Cripps. Rather than 'man up on him' we left him open which also opened up one of our players, I think our ruck won the tap but rather than Shedda taking possession he deftly tapped it on again to the advantage of our 'open' mid. Poetry in motion.

But he turned it over by foot a lot
Yep I remember it very well. Was such a frustrating player when he was young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shedda is 10 times better than cyril rioli ever was but you'd think it was the other way around based on their reputations
Had never thought of this but by-jove I think you have it!

I will give you $5 to go and post this on the Hawks board though....

I’m loving this thread. We have a player that sees things others simply don’t or can’t.

I’d encourage everyone to watch the GF again and watch around the packs (and not directly the ball). Shedda is a sublimely skilled player, but so smart and tough without the ball. The Hopper bump the obvious one, but taking it up to Toby Greene off the ball and the blocks and bumps at stoppages phenomenal. You’ll see a GWS player stopped in his tracks in the periphery of vision only to rewind and find Shedda has done some hard work...... He really flew the flag for us in a massive way and imposed a physical presence which set the tone. He is a freak with skill, vision, football intelligence and a brilliant touch of mongrel. By far the most underrated player in the league.

(Unfortunately he didn’t lay the best bump of the finals for us. Watch Lynch’s block on Danger in the background for Prestia’s sealing goal in the Prelim. It will make you smile every time you see it.)

Last edited:
I reckon he went underappreciated for such a long time because he was always one step ahead of even his own team mates. Now that we're such a cohesive unit, we have the speed to keep up with him. He's still underrated, but I feel like many punters have had him in AA contention over the last couple of years.

Every now and then, not often you come across a player so slight of hand, so efficient that you barely see it. They go through a career doing this so well that nobody even notices, no carry on from commentators like a Dusty or a Danger but just loved and appreciated by supporters and lovers of the game without the fanfare.
Usually this is for brilliant players who play an unfulfilled 80 odd game career but rarely one who plays over 200 games and in 2 premierships.
Just watching a replay of the prelim where Shedda nails Lambert in the last quarter followed by an amazing dummy and signature rocket handball out of the centre it made me think? Had there ever been a more under appreciated and underrated player by the media and footy fans not Richmond aligned?
His 2017 GF was off the charts for one and never got mentioned and 2019 was not far behind.
Can you think of a player similar at another club so good yet so unrecognized in your time? And what is your favorite Shedda game or moment not afforded the plaudits of others?
The guy is special.
Love him, been a favourite of mine for a long time.

NO ONE can do what he does with his hands in close. He releases players...a few years ago he wasmade to look a bit sloppy, but this was because his team mates weren't up to what he was doing, the team improves, and now we can really appreciate what those hands do.

Every now and then, not often you come across a player so slight of hand, so efficient that you barely see it. They go through a career doing this so well that nobody even notices, no carry on from commentators like a Dusty or a Danger but just loved and appreciated by supporters and lovers of the game without the fanfare.
Usually this is for brilliant players who play an unfulfilled 80 odd game career but rarely one who plays over 200 games and in 2 premierships.
Just watching a replay of the prelim where Shedda nails Lambert in the last quarter followed by an amazing dummy and signature rocket handball out of the centre it made me think? Had there ever been a more under appreciated and underrated player by the media and footy fans not Richmond aligned?
His 2017 GF was off the charts for one and never got mentioned and 2019 was not far behind.
Can you think of a player similar at another club so good yet so unrecognized in your time? And what is your favorite Shedda game or moment not afforded the plaudits of others?
The guy is special.
Great post RD.Pretty much my thoughts (can add Grimes in the same convo).Sheds is a magician.In fact I reckon he is better than Cyril because he can as proven this year can play anywhere and have a huge impact.Cyril was great at what he did but was limited.
Hope he plays on for another 5.

Lost to this board is poster Goldust - was always somewhat critical of Shed's.
Sincerely would be interesting to know if his rating of Shed's has improved?
We all make mistakes...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back