Local Rugby Union NRC 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I know it’s almost over but I feel most of us don’t care about it as it has no significance on our lives at all.

I propose that the way the current NRC is it doesn’t work and needs to be fixed by making it like the old Aussie Rules Foxtel Cup was.

Example.
Reds Division: 3 from Qld - Winner and runner up Brisbane Premier and Qld Country not GC bull crap.
Waratahs Division: 3 from NSW - Winner and runner up Shute Shield, 1 NSW Country.
Brumbies Rebels Division: 1 ACT, 1 VIC, 1 Wallabies Under 23’s
Force Division: 1 WA, 1 SA, 1 United Team - Tas, NT

Play in divisions of 3 teams play home and away for four games each. Top team from each division go to finals as well as the top two wildcards from the whole league.

Each of those six teams play each other once home and or away and the top four play finals, 1 v 2 winner straight to home gf. 3 v 4 loser out, winner to game v loser of 1 v 2 the winner plays in the gf.

Wallabies under 23 could be based at Albury, Gosford, Illawarra etc.
Qld Country could be based at Townsville, Toowoomba etc
NSW Country could be based at Wagga Wagga, Dubbo, Albury etc

I personally don't mind the idea of having country/city or state based sides and doing a comp like that. I do think there needs to be more care given to the comp (and rugby in general), with both more games and more teams. I do like the version that you have though

NRC doesn't really serve much purpose the way rugby currently runs (badly) in this country.

Super Rugby and club rugby run in parallel. NRC runs August to October when the best players are playing tests. If you are a good player then your pathway will probably be private school -> university -> club rugby -> Super Rugby -> test cap.

Western Force finished on top of the ladder and host a semi final this weekend. The squad is a bunch of no names. Super Rugby cast offs, internationals from tier 2 nations not good enough to make the World Cup etc. The semi finals are not really the best of Super Rugby minus the 31 man Wallabies squad, or the best of the best from recently completed FMG Premier Grade, Shute Shield etc. So what is the point of the comp exactly?

I do agree that it is not working as it is meant to be, and does need to be marketed to a higher standard, but it does serve its purpose. The idea of such a league is to bring together the best talent that is in the club rugby systems (and those who are with super sides but are not in the core sides) and get them to play in order to fight for spots on the super sides and to create the missing link between the club and super sides (which may be partially why the marketing isn’t entirely there). The city/country set up in nsw and qld are good ways to let the cream to rise to the top. The existence of the force in the comp (although they should be there and probably should be playing in super) is being done, imo, for a different purpose then the other 7 sides in the completion. That being as a way to keep the global rapids side together before the (apparent) start of that competition, but that may change once the GR comes together.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

GRR is a filler comp. Nothing meaningful is going to happen until SR finally dies an ugly death. SANZAAR has already punted the Force, Cheetahs, Kings and Sunwolves and it makes no sense for South Africa to have four teams in SR and two in Pro14. If they can get all of their teams into a Pro18 then the money will flow in and may lead to players like de Klerk and Reinach staying with South African sides.

If and when we are left with a shell of a Super 10 with 5 x NZ, 4 x Australia and the Jaguares then we will need to reassess what the next step is.

GRR is a filler comp. Nothing meaningful is going to happen until SR finally dies an ugly death. SANZAAR has already punted the Force, Cheetahs, Kings and Sunwolves and it makes no sense for South Africa to have four teams in SR and two in Pro14. If they can get all of their teams into a Pro18 then the money will flow in and may lead to players like de Klerk and Reinach staying with South African sides.

If and when we are left with a shell of a Super 10 with 5 x NZ, 4 x Australia and the Jaguares then we will need to reassess what the next step is.

I do not disagree with anything you are saying at all.

I do think the Jaguares would be good to be with the pro league and a potential Japanese side in what is left with the super comp (if someone in Japan would be willing to put up the money) and also maybe some teams from the pacific. GRR will be a good way to increase the game time and quality of 3rd tier nations in the Asia pacific region.

I do not disagree with anything you are saying at all.

I do think the Jaguares would be good to be with the pro league and a potential Japanese side in what is left with the super comp (if someone in Japan would be willing to put up the money) and also maybe some teams from the pacific. GRR will be a good way to increase the game time and quality of 3rd tier nations in the Asia pacific region.

SANZAAR tried to do too much. A provincial comp spanning Perth to NZ to Argentina to South Africa to Brisbane to... is just silly. When there are 3-5 teams in each country you can do tours of duty, but with one in Argentina and one in Japan it's not as workable. Next year the Rebels play the Sunwolves in Japan then the Brumbies in Canberra 6 days later. Later in the season they play the Jaguares in Argentina then the Reds in Queensland 6 days after that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back