Past Zak Jones - traded 2019, to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Loss of Jones won’t make or break a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that's a fair call. I would've liked for him to stay as he had really matured as a footballer over 2019 and worked hard to get rid of the frustrating parts of his play (e.g. going too hard at the man rather than the ball, silly free kicks and even sillier 50m penalties). I actually didn't care about him getting caught HTB so regularly, as it was generally because he was trying to take the game on. I don't know the stats, but I reckon Kennedy gets caught HTB more often than him (without it being from breaking lines).

It's frustrating to see a former first round pick who is right in the age range we need opt out, but I've never been the biggest fan of Jones. He's obviously a good player and when he gets it right, he's really damaging (like in the first 6 weeks of this year). But when he isn't getting it right, there are few talented players I've found more frustrating in the last decade at the Swans.

I think he's very replaceable. Not in pure like for like terms, because his speed and run is better than most other AFL players, but in terms of his total package, I think we'll be fine without him in the long-term.

No big loss for the club.

Poor decision maker imo.

I would rather the club allocate resources to somewhere else on the list.

It’s a pity as he showed potential as a junior...

Last edited:
I think it was always in the background that he'd want to get back "home" to Victoria. I assumed he'd try last contract negotiation to get to Melbourne... I guess playing footy for the Saints with Hanners and a few other ex Swans staff + being now able to catch up with his brother & family daily, is as good as it gets for him moving forward.

Good side for him to go to as they could use a bit of his aggression IMO. Good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is a quick thanks to the club and fans so hard? Dylan Shield did it last year perfectly on Instagram, saying he'd always be a Giant but was now a Bomber as well. Zak's Insta story is all about his return blah blah. No mention of the Swans. If you're reading this Zak a quick post thanking the Swans for using their first pick on you then taking a lesser pick to get you where you wanted, moving you to the midfield because it's where you wanted to play etc. Thanks for the shanks. I'll always appreciate your endeavour in the red and white.

Thing about Zak is his value is still based on potential... he's yet to put his strengths together and become the really damaging player he could be...

Will he realise his full potential at the saints? Time will tell, he hadn't quite got there in the red and white... could be a really damaging player and turn into an elite player, its just a question of whether he has the footy brain... with a bit more experience he could get there...

If he realises his potential it will be a fair loss but what can you do... you need players who want to be here

Thing about Zak is his value is still based on potential... he's yet to put his strengths together and become the really damaging player he could be...

Will he realise his full potential at the saints? Time will tell, he hadn't quite got there in the red and white... could be a really damaging player and turn into an elite player, its just a question of whether he has the footy brain... with a bit more experience he could get there...

If he realises his potential it will be a fair loss but what can you do... you need players who want to be here

Still considering where we picked him up and the years invested in him its a very poor outcome but like you said what can you do?

I know, it sucks. And I don't get how that works when a young star that is developed by a team and is about to hit his peak, goes for less than he was drafted for... happens time and time again and makes no logical sense... you would think the club would get a bonus for their investment similar to soccer transfer fees...

It's almost like getting a lesser draft pick is a punishment for a player not wanting to stay at your club... which impacts the interstate clubs more so than Vic clubs... it's bullshit... and while I don't want cola back. There's no denying it helps to counteract that issue

I know, it sucks. And I don't get how that works when a young star that is developed by a team and is about to hit his peak, goes for less than he was drafted for... happens time and time again and makes no logical sense... you would think the club would get a bonus for their investment similar to soccer transfer fees...

It's almost like getting a lesser draft pick is a punishment for a player not wanting to stay at your club... which impacts the interstate clubs more so than Vic clubs... it's bullshit... and while I don't want cola back. There's no denying it helps to counteract that issue

Yep I agree. That's why I posted above that deep down I really wish them & the Vic club they go to all the very worst.
Sounds bitter I know but who cares, the Vic club supporters of the team they've gone to clearly have shown they wish us all the worst.

Poor Mitch & Hanners.
Cry me a river Hawk & Saint supporters! F k em!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back