List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gould is 98kg. Im a touch skeptical once in afl land his size & assets are back to a level playing field.

Love his mongrel though.
Is a mid sized defender something we really need? I rate him but not sure he is a good fit for us.

Gould is 98kg. Im a touch skeptical once in afl land his size & assets are back to a level playing field.

Love his mongrel though.
Some guys aren’t just big, they are super strong/powerful, I think he’s one of them. Being bigger and stronger has translated well for guys like dusty and worpel, and Gould’s aggression is what sets him apart from a lot of other big players. I’m just abit torn on what our biggest need is atm, our backline seems fairly set for at least a couple of years

Gould is an interesting prospect. He tested really poorly at the combine meaning he's likely slipped out of the top 10. But the thing that sets him apart are:

a) he is actually very skilled with 60 metre bullet kicks in his arsenal. Those are the types of skills Clarko would love.
b) he is tough and uncompromising. You can't teach attitude and our current side lacks that bit of campaigner.
c) despite his size and poor athletic testing he actually has a good burst of speed. People that watch him at SANFL level know he isn't slow.
d) even when slimmed down he'll likely be 191cm/90kg. That's still a considerable unit.

Fitness is an area that can be worked on - Gould has traits that many other players do not. He has 'power' that doesn't just come from being bigger. Personally I would love to select him with Pick 11 and believe he can form an exciting attacking core with Hardwick/Scrimshaw.

But there is a chance one of Stephens, Ash or Kemp (very unlikely but possible) slide. And if they do I believe we select them ahead of Gould.

Some guys aren’t just big, they are super strong/powerful, I think he’s one of them. Being bigger and stronger has translated well for guys like dusty and worpel, and Gould’s aggression is what sets him apart from a lot of other big players. I’m just abit torn on what our biggest need is atm, our backline seems fairly set for at least a couple of years
We are 1 injury away from Kosi having to play down back now Brand is gone.

Of course TOB can go back if this happens but my point is we still need young talls.

I would like us to take a footballer the likes of a Hodge a Dangerfield a Mitchell a Voss a Selwood. A kid who luvs footy, who is natural leader, who has that burning desire to be the best. A kid that can lift his side when no one else can. A physical beast that likes to compete.
I miss Hodge and our team does too.
Hardwick and Worpel should and I hope will be our leaders one day but I would like to see more of these types picked to help them. We might not get the most talented with our picks but I hope we get the best footballers instead.

We are 1 injury away from Kosi having to play down back now Brand is gone.

Of course TOB can go back if this happens but my point is we still need young talls.
Any young kid, especially KPD will take a number of years to develop, that time unlikely we will have frawley or even stratton. Yes, TOB is that one that could go down back. They have even tried ruckman McEvoy too.

looks like we might be left with a decision at pick 11 between Luke Jackson, Hayden Young, Fischer McAsey, Will Gould, Jeremy Sharp and Trent Bianco, if the top 10 goes as bigfooty predicts...

Young is top 4.

i did some research into who clubs were into and he seems to possibly be available at our pick, obviously its all speculation at this stage

but heres what i got from my research, i turned it into a Phantom Draft, also GWS are into Luke Jackson, but they will have to match a bid for Tom Green, also Geelong is into Sam Flanders apparently. also GWS trying to trade upto 3 to get someone + Green, maybe thats where the Luke Jackson rumours are leaning?(Rumours)

update Phantom Draft Round 1

1. GC - Matthew Rowell
2. GC - Noah Anderson
3. Melb - Caleb Serong
4. Adel - Sam Flanders
5. GWS - Tom Green (matched bid from Syd or Adel, but i chose Syd here)
6. Syd - Dylan Stephens
7. Frem - Deven Robertson
8. Melb - Brodie Kemp
9. Frem - Liam Henry (matched bid from Carlton, also bid could come from Melb)
10. Carl - Lachlan Ash
11. Haw - Luke Jackson (our board is so chaotic so i chose for us)
12. Port - Fischer McAsey
13. West - Cody Weightman
14. Geel - ??? Hayden Young (their usual steal)
15. GC - ??? Will Gould
16. Bris - ??? Trent Bianco
17. Geel - ??? Jeremy Sharp
18. Port - Cameron Taheny
19. Rich - ??? Cooper Stephens/ may bid on Finn Maginness?

Last edited:
i did some research into who clubs were into and he seems to possibly be available at our pick, obviously its all speculation at this stage

but heres what i got from my research, i turned it into a Phantom Draft, also GWS are into Luke Jackson, but they will have to match a bid for Tom Green, also Geelong is into Sam Flanders apparently. also GWS trying to trade upto 3 to get someone + Green, maybe thats where the Luke Jackson rumours are leaning?(Rumours)

1. GC - Matthew Rowell
2. GC - Noah Anderson
3. Melb - Caleb Serong
4. Adel - Sam Flanders
6. Syd - Dylan Stephens
8. Melb - Brodie Kemp
10. Carl - Lachlan Ash
15. GC - ??? Will Gould
Any chance you can put Heights and positions next to them mate. Don't get time to watch the under 18s anymore to have a clue about them.

1. GC - Matthew Rowell
2. GC - Noah Anderson
3. Melb - Caleb Serong
4. Adel - Sam Flanders
6. Syd - Dylan Stephens
8. Melb - Brodie Kemp
10. Carl - Lachlan Ash
15. GC - ??? Will Gould
I can’t see us taking Jackson while young is there. I think sydney would go kemp or Robertson assuming the bid for green and gws match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would not be happy if we took Luke Jackson. Don't rate him. Undersized, understrength and limited footy IQ. He's definitely athletic though. Would rather go with someone late in the draft or rookie that we thought had attributes and workable into a solid ruck.

1. GC - Matthew Rowell
2. GC - Noah Anderson
3. Melb - Caleb Serong
4. Adel - Sam Flanders
6. Syd - Dylan Stephens
8. Melb - Brodie Kemp
10. Carl - Lachlan Ash
15. GC - ??? Will Gould

Taking a ruckman with our first round pick scares the absolute s**t out of me.

Say we match a bid on Finn with our second and third picks and then have a surplus amount of points left over - does that surplus then get added on to our fourth rounder to bring it forward? Or does it go to the end of the draft to create a new pick? Or it's just tough t***ies and the points are void?

Bugger athletes...

bpa that is a footballer First, tough & has a bit of pace.

No way KPP!

we should be looking to move up a couple of positions to get our guy.

Some live trading with Freo as we could move up & both teams can still take 2 picks inside the top 20 while bringing Freo up in the draft with a later pick

1. GC - Matthew Rowell
2. GC - Noah Anderson
3. Melb - Caleb Serong
4. Adel - Sam Flanders
6. Syd - Dylan Stephens
8. Melb - Brodie Kemp
10. Carl - Lachlan Ash
15. GC - ??? Will Gould

Surely if Young slides outside the top 10 we take him. Our ball use from the backline would be exceptional with Sicily/Young/Hardwick/Scrimshaw and he could play from day 1. Would let us use Impey as a pressure forward too.

1. GC - Matthew Rowell
2. GC - Noah Anderson
3. Melb - Caleb Serong
4. Adel - Sam Flanders
6. Syd - Dylan Stephens
8. Melb - Brodie Kemp
10. Carl - Lachlan Ash
15. GC - ??? Will Gould

I like Sharp as a smokey for our first but we have needs in other areas before we take another mid in Finn to further add to our ball winning department.

You're quite right - not sure Gould meets our current needs; he's a mid-sized defender; a great interceptor, good skills. We currently have Scrimshaw, Sicily, Hardwick and Frost and Burgoyne that comprise those attributes in some way. He wouldn't fill a glowing need.

I'd be targeting the best available mid if I were in Hawthorn's shoes.

There is no way Young gets past Melbourne's pick 3, he'd being going pick 2 I reckon if it weren't for Ando & Rowell being good mates.

Fisher McAsey. He’s the one I hope GW picks if he’s still available. It is the highest first round pick in over a decade and I would be disappointed if the club wasted it on another midfielder when Maginness and Downie are both eligible to be selected which is more then enough midfielders when we have other pressing needs on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back