Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Anybody else believe that this martin thing could mean the end of the psd ?

Getting rid of it would certainly relieve alot of issue's with this type of thing

Is there a need for it these days with live trading on the night available a club could get their player in the draft by trading piks with other teams
The only way it goes is if you become a Free Agent automatically when your contract expires. Or else players are basically trapped.

Hi Gun. Wanna make friends?

Is the afl considering a post pre-season trading period in feb?

although Gold Coast are talking about re-drafting Martin I can only see that happening as a way to force a trade.

eg they redraft Martin in the pre-season draft just to force Carlton to trade for him on the eve of the season.Would be a ballsy move but we have seen that Gold Coast are willing to be ballsy
They’ve shelved the idea for now.

Fair doesn't come into any equations with the GC after they were given that pick bounty by the AFL.

Clubs have targetted their players because the players can't wait to get the fu** out of there.

That's on them, not the other teams.

GWS have lost just as many players and high end talent and yet have actually used that to their advantage in using draft pick assets to bundle and move up in drafts.

Totally agree. It’s also on GC to push back or they will continue to be targeted. I’m just hoping they use every avenue at their disposal to stop him getting to Carlton this year simply to prove that point. That’s not an anti-Carlton or anti Jack Martin viewpoint. Unfortunately for both I think this has to be the line in the sand moment and they have every card to do it. Having said that - if the do the AFLPA probably head to court but it wouldn’t be the worst option to test the rules that way anyway.

.... or maybe I’m just Nero and I like to watch Rome Burn!

Totally agree. It’s also on GC to push back or they will continue to be targeted. I’m just hoping they use every avenue at their disposal to stop him getting to Carlton this year simply to prove that point. That’s not an anti-Carlton or anti Jack Martin viewpoint. Unfortunately for both I think this has to be the line in the sand moment and they have every card to do it. Having said that - if the do the AFLPA probably head to court but it wouldn’t be the worst option to test the rules that way anyway.

I still think he will go to Carlton but through ND draft or PSD draft . Just the mind game of unknown spinning in Carlton fan are fun to watch.

I still think he will go to Carlton but through ND draft or PSD draft . Just the mind game of unknown spinning in Carlton fan are fun to watch.
The whole thing has livened up the off season frankly. So has keeping pick 9.

Would have been a dull period. Like for Pies, North and Saints the next 6 weeks is dull. Now footy is entertaining until preseason training starts. Very exciting!

😜

The whole thing has livened up the off season frankly. So has keeping pick 9.

Would have been a dull period. Like for Pies, North and Saints the next 6 weeks is dull. Now footy is entertaining until preseason training starts. Very exciting!

😜
It should be, the worse case scenario you don't get him everybody just laugh at you for a while and move on. Club don't need to always agree to a value, that is what PSD is for. To heard Silvagni mention getting him through ND or PSD draft already cancel out all Carlton fan prediction that GCS won't send him to ND and PSD draft.

Last edited:
Totally agree. It’s also on GC to push back or they will continue to be targeted.

In normal circumstances I’d agree, but the AFL loaded GCS up on recruiting currency prior to the trade period which skewed the situation.

It won’t matter what bluff and bluster plays out in the media from here, Carlton will keep their heads down and get this move completed. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the rejected picks.

Push back against what exactly? Martin is out of contract, has given a reasonable term of service, and not leaving under the pretense of home sickness. Perhaps they didn't get the offer they wanted...but they were offered fair market value.

It's a truly bizarre situation for GC to take a stand on, given the numerous instances they could and should have previously.

What did the Gold Coast actually want for him? Pick 9 I assume, but with something potentially coming the other way?

There was talk on the Carlton board that the Suns and Blues had agreed to a future 2nd round pick for Martin, but Craig Cameron was overruled by Tony Cochrane. Honestly, I have no idea whether that story is true, a solid ITK seems to think it was legit though.

What's a little bit humorous is that it seems Carlton think they're in charge of all this. While I agree he'll get to Carlton, it'll be because the Suns let him and really couldn't care about missing the low-ball picks from Carlton. In principle, the negotiation was crap, and the Suns have made their position clear about that.

Carlton DOES NOT hold the whip hand, purely because they botched the negotiation. The Suns have a small opportunity to change his mind (the passage of time allows that) but will likely let him go, and perhaps Melbourne will too. It's fun times though :)
you wont change his mind though lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t see Gold Coast going this far and not following on with it. They will draft him again and do the merry go round again with Carlton in a years time where Carlton will pay what they need to.

If Martin doesn’t want to play for Gold Coasy then he plays NEAFL and misses out on a substantial amount of money from match payments. It’s very simple for Gold Coast and they hold all the cards here
how, when we can out price gold coast very easily, they hold no cards lol

In hindsight, it was a negotiation bound to fail. A win-win became impossible once the AFL turned water into wine for GCS. Suddenly, the relative value of draft picks was unequal; while only top picks had shine for GCS, for the Blues, who’ve been worse than GCS recently, it would’ve been utter negligence to part with a top 10 for a player like Martin.

Maybe if the AFL filled Carlton’s stocking with first rounders, they could’ve done the deal, but in those unequal circumstances, like a middle aged man ambitiously trying on a belt from his 20’s ... the two ends were just never going to meet.

Everyone has their own take on GCS’ stance. Mine is that it shows a club that still has a measure of dysfunction. Strong clubs don’t force their uncontracted into the PSD and then carry on publicly abt it. I can see why it’s a bemusing situation for opposition posters, but not much to see here. Carlton will get their man and keep their picks.
Yeah I agree it sounds good in principle to make a stand about players leaving your club making them go to the draft but they generally get to the club they wanted to anyway st kilda learnt this with Luke ball come draft day it doesn’t seem like such a great idea anymore losing a player for nothing come trade deadline the should have took the best deal they could I mean even a second rounder the could have gotten a decent player or used it to trade up on draft night!

Martin as of right now will be at Carlton. However, Dees do have the cap space and are planning on putting forward their best case. Stephen May who is mates with Martin will be pivotal as well as Neville Jetta who is an influential leader among the indigenous players. We're having a crack, but the club won't draft him if he's firm on Carlton being his only destination. Carlton should still get their man, but it's nervous times. May will be key for Dees..
i think the betts factor out weighs both neville and may

It should be, the worse case scenario you don't get him everybody just laugh at you for a while and move on. Club don't need to always agree to a value, that is what PSD is for. To heard Silvagni mention getting him through ND or PSD draft already cancel out all Carlton fan prediction that GCS won't send him to ND and PSD draft.

That's your worst case scenario? LOL, peak silly.

Dumb as bat s**t move by GC.
This isn’t a watershed moment to make a stand.
The player will get to his destination anyway for nothing.

This why this club is still a circus

Indeed. Pure negligence by the club. Fair enough if it’s a player that is being lured by money. But in this case Martin evidently does not want to be at that club anymore, plus they dropped him in circumstances where he was far from their worst player. They’ll either re-draft a player where the relationship has irretrievably broken down, or lose him for nothing. Dumb club management.

We'd be silly not to take him, at the end of the day. Fills a need, and even the overs he'll ask for won't be ludicrous given his actual market value is moderate.

Blame the predatory behaviour of Victorian clubs which led to them needing the priority picks.
I think you’re going a bit over the top predatory behaviour? There’s nothing stopping the suns from doing the same thing and approaching every other club in the competitions players obviously the state there in at the moment has made them a easy target but you need to direct your anger at the afl who did a terrible job setting the suns up clubs are always trying to strengthen themselves and weaken there rivals this is called competitive sport and will never change!

i think you’re ignoring the fact GC can re-draft him, and then get a trade for him next year

AFLPA will step in. They wont risk that heat. I dont think a club has ever redrafted a player through the PSD or ND after a contract has expired and a trade couldnt be reached. It is a farcical scenario.

In such an extreme hypothetical, my conclusion would be that after the AFLPA step in and void the selection and the AFL commission would rethink the extra draft picks. Or keep the priority picks and nuke the CEO and board from orbit.

100% wont happen.

There was talk on the Carlton board that the Suns and Blues had agreed to a future 2nd round pick for Martin, but Craig Cameron was overruled by Tony Cochrane. Honestly, I have no idea whether that story is true, a solid ITK seems to think it was legit though.

I thought that was future second, with a future third rounder thrown in to make up first round points value.

I guess Papley falling through changed their tune on pick 9.

Posted this in the Demons thread but worth re-posting here. It’s time our club took a stand in this type of situation. A lot to play out here regarding Jack Martin.

This is a huge test for our club. An opportunity to bring in a talented and highly skilled outside mid/small forward has just fallen fortuitously in our lap. Exactly the type of player we are crying out for, for such a long time.

Jack Martin is currently a good footballer who has shown he has the capacity to be very good and quite possibly become elite at AFL level. He has clearly not enjoyed living and plying his trade on the barren and soulless confines of Metricon, but you can imagine his delight at being able to strap on the guernsey of a traditional Victorian club and weave his magic on the MCG in front of true footy fans with genuine passion. This is a young man who will relish such an opportunity and rise to new levels of output and performance.

This is a cut throat competition, won and lost just as much by clubs on the margins of decisions they make off field, as those that are made off it. Carlton will no doubt try to bully us and will probably scheme with Martin’s manager to try and get us to baulk at calling Jack’s name out in the PSD, but we must not be cowed by these tactics and do everything we can to convince the player that his future lies at the Melbourne Football Club. Bring in the heavy hitters by all means - Goodwin, Richo, May, Kolo and of course Nev. Hell, get other past indigenous Demon stars like Flash Davey and Wizard Farmer involved if it might help in any small way. Just do whatever it takes within the bounds of reason to get this bloke over the line, or at least open to a change in the landscape.

Don’t be put off by media reports, the money is there if we were prepared to pay $2million to an injury prone Jamie Elliot over four years. 600k or even 700k per season might seem a high bounty to pay for Martin but consider the opportunity cost at not having to cough up a pick for him in the National Draft, not to mention boost to club morale and the extra memberships such a bold move would generate. Sometimes there are intangibles when calculating the worth of a player that go beyond pure statistical analysis.

God knows we have overpaid players before who have not produced in the red and blue. Players with far less ability, skill and blue sky potential than Jack Martin.

The bottom line is we need this player and he is going to become available to us at no cost in trade via the PSD. Regardless of the noises made by Carlton or his manager, we must call his name out at pick 2 if Gold Coast don’t re-draft him at pick 1, then back ourselves to welcome him with open arms and oversee his transformation into committed, all-in star of the Red and Blue.

Huge test for our Demons this one. So often in the past we have wilted at these moments. Unwilling to put cojones on the line and demonstrate the hard edge that the more successful clubs have. Now, here we are again, about to step up to the plate with a gilt-edged opportunity to to recruit a talented footballer ideally suited to our needs.

What are we going to do? What are Bartlett, Pert, Mahoney, Goodwin and Co truly made of? Same old same old ... or something new ... something better. We’re about to find out.

Go Dees!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back