Prediction Our best 22 for Round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly depends how we're going if you ask me. We don't get Impey back until the 2nd half of the year and I'm expecting Silk to play a role in the forward line.

Yeah, it's impossible to say, really. It will depend on who is injured, who is playing well, how the game plan has gone.

It is nice this year to be back where we've got one or two guys we're trying to squeeze into the side as opposed to the last two seasons where we were plugging one or two holes. Maybe the list is back on the upswing a little. At this time of year I always see us as genuine grand final threats anyways. It's what I love best about being a supporter.

I'm noticing a fair few non Ceglar's in best 22s, now I'm not saying I disagree but I'm tipping that's not what he was told when he signed a 3 year extension a couple of months ago.
Yeah I agree with that. He must have been given some assurances, otherwise we would have traded him. Not sure what the club is going to do given we will have so many tall players. We should have moved someone on.
A lot of posters have as their Back 6:

FB: Stratton.....Frawley......Hardwick
HB: Sicily..........Frost.........Scrimshaw

I agree with it - that's how I write mine up as well.

Now Hardwick, Scrimshaw & Sicily are good/outstanding users of the ball, but there's not a huge amount of run out of that 6. Pretty much all are competent or better, but none are near outstanding for pace or running rebound except maybe Frost & you probs don't want you CHB doubling as your running HB.

There's simply no chance that we add McEvoy to that mix, but I can see us using Smith of HB until Impey is ready. Or CJ coming in early.

A lot of posters have as their Back 6:

FB: Stratton.....Frawley......Hardwick
HB: Sicily..........Frost.........Scrimshaw

I agree with it - that's how I write mine up as well.

Now Hardwick, Scrimshaw & Sicily are good/outstanding users of the ball, but there's not a huge amount of run out of that 6. Pretty much all are competent or better, but none are near outstanding for pace or running rebound except maybe Frost & you probs don't want you CHB doubling as your running HB.

There's simply no chance that we add McEvoy to that mix, but I can see us using Smith of HB until Impey is ready. Or CJ coming in early.

I respectfully disagree.

While not outstanding, one of Scrimshaw's underrated abilities is his running. There was a sequence of play against Port (I think) down in Tassie where he received a hand ball and then did a few quick one-twos with some hard running and ended up getting an inside 50. With Impey injured I think you'll see him taking the game on a lot more once he gets a full pre-season and now that he's comfortable in the squad.

This one is more based on what I think the club will do than what I'd most like to see. not a big fan of McEvoy in defence, but how are they going to fit McEvoy, Celgar, Patton, Lewis into the same side if they don't persist with it? No longer makes as much sense to have one of our genuine rucks resting forward as it did last year with Patton now in the side.

Hardwick Frawley Stratton
Sicily McEvoy Scrimshaw
Smith Mitchell Scully
Gunston Lewis Wingard
Breust Patton Puopolo

Ceglar, O'Meara, Worpel

INT: O'Brien, Shiels, Burgoyne, Henderson

Emerg: Nash, Hanrahan, Frost, Jiath (a number of Box Hill players cold be slotted in here).

Would like see more of Frost to decide if he's best 22 for sure. I'd perhaps only play him when we really need the extra tall. Right now, I'd have O'Brien in the side over Frost. O'Brien's marking was very good last year. Couldn't fit him in the forward line with Patton coming in, but could easily play forward or back, so I think his versatility will keep him in the best 22 if he keeps up his 2019 form.

Stratton is almost only keeping his spot via holding the captaincy. Needs to improve otherwise his spot in the best 22 should be legitimately questioned once Impey returns from injury. Can Frost play on smalls using his speed? I hope they move the captaincy on to someone else who is more clearly best 22 to avoid this becoming awkward.

Wanted to fit Nash and Hanrahan in, but how? Hanrahan does not have Poppy's defensive skillset, and Nash makes us very tall given Wingard will hopefully be playing a lot of midfield minutes. Possiblly leaving out O'Brien would allow one of them in, but again, I'd rather O'Brien's versatility and think that his late season form currently has him ahead of both Nash and Hanrahan.

If I had my way, I'd put McEvoy as #1 ruck and probably Ceglar to Emergencies (and possibly send Stratton there too), but can't see either of those happening.

Mitchell back in, Patton and Frost recruitments along with the progression of O'Brien, Lewis and Worpel have suddenly moved us from paper thin depth at the start of 2019 to a little bit of coverage in all areas at the start of 2020 barring any injuries in the pre-season. Impey's injury leaves us a little slow transitioning out of defence, and looks like our next priorities should be a defensive forward and outside mid next time we have a crack at trade period if nobody steps up from Box Hill this year to fill those roles. If Scully with a full pre-season gets back closer to 2016/2017 form, the outside mid becomes a lot less urgent, but can't see anyone on the list about to jump into Poppy's shoes in a hurry.

Surely McEvoy was an experiment at CHB towards the end of last year.
Personally I thought they were only playing him there, because they could not make the tough decision of dropping one of Cegler or McEvoy.
Next year they should decide who is No. 1 ruck and other should be running around for Box Hill. We would not get away playing McEvoy CHB every week

I respectfully disagree.

While not outstanding, one of Scrimshaw's underrated abilities is his running. There was a sequence of play against Port (I think) down in Tassie where he received a hand ball and then did a few quick one-twos with some hard running and ended up getting an inside 50. With Impey injured I think you'll see him taking the game on a lot more once he gets a full pre-season and now that he's comfortable in the squad.
Yeh, no doubt - Sicily is also quite evasive, when he's not caught holding the ball... but neither are line-breakers or able to break through a zone etc.

Personally I thought they were only playing him there, because they could not make the tough decision of dropping one of Cegler or McEvoy.
Next year they should decide who is No. 1 ruck and other should be running around for Box Hill. We would not get away playing McEvoy CHB every week
They both played (Cegs & BigBoy) because Lewis was out & we needed size around the ground - either could've ended up forward but TO'B was playing well & Nash had improved a little.

Not only are we adding Patton & Frost to the side, we're getting Lewis back. That's 2x genuine sized KPF into the side + a KPD. The obvious/first OUT to make space is one of the ruckmen.

There's no chance in Hell we play them both.

Bigboy reads the play par excellence, he's our best contested mark.
We haven't been beaten with him playing back.
He was super effective playing a kick behind the play for the Saints.
The only worry is a super quick leading forward exposing his lack of pace off the mark.
Pity we didn't realise this and thus draft a super quick tall defender to remedy the situation.
Someone like Frosty would have been awesome!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the sound of 'twin towers' for Lewis and Patton, but I fear they naturally play identical game styles - which is playing predominantly deep from the goalsquare. Surely one (or both) of them will have to adjust to playing more 'up-the-field' than what they're used to?
Lewis kept Roughead out of the team last year because they played the same role? And Clarko wanted to develop Lewis, but couldn't with Roughy there because everyone would naturally look for him as the go-to target.
Also that GW comment that interest for Patton had waned during the year when Lewis found good form, suggesting they are too similar a player.

I'm sure our coaches will adjust the forward structure accordingly and work out how best to use Lewis and Patton in tandem.

Just a little concerning at this early stage, knowing that potentially Lewis and/or Patton may have to slightly modify their strengths to suit forward-line balance.

I like the sound of 'twin towers' for Lewis and Patton, but I fear they naturally play identical game styles - which is playing predominantly deep from the goalsquare.

Lewis works a lot up the ground a bloody lot. It's his workrate that kept Roughead out of the team. Roughie was cooked. He was done. But he'd done more than enough over the years and lived thru enough to be cooked, so that was understandable.

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick
HB: Sicily, Frost, Scrimshaw
C: Henderson, Mitchell, Smith
HF: Gunston, Lewis, Burgoyne
F: Breust, Patton, O’Brien
R: McEvoy, Worpel, O’Meara
INT: Wingard, Puopolo, Scully, Shiels

As of Round 1, this is how I see it shaping.

Super curious to see what our plans with McEvoy and Ceglar are. Cegs didn’t sign a three year deal to not be playing senior footy in my option. Either way, we have options and it’d good we have two quality ruckmen.

I think our forward line balance is not as top heavy as it seems. Patton is a brute and probably the least mobile but will give Lewis a chop out and be a good marking target. Mitch is great off the floor from what I have seen and we know he can take a grab. O’Brien is more like a roaming forward flanker and will benefit being the third tall. Best of all is that it allows Gunner to be so much more versatile, whether it means he gets off the leash inside F50 or the three talls allow him to push up the ground more to use his aerobic and kicking skills. Forward pressure isn’t as desirable as the three peat years, and it means Nash and Puopolo will get games this year as it will be needed.

Super buoyant about our defense, with Frost coming in allowing Sicily to sone off more next season. I think it’s an underrated part of our team, as our talls and and smalls are all good lockdown players. The Sicily and Scrimmer dash off half back looks delicious.

Mitchell coming back in the midfield is massive. We know how much of a workhorse he is, but it releases everyone who had a heavy load this year. Looking forward to Jaeger using his class and outside speed more, and Wingard having a full preseason to train in the midfield is so exciting considering how good he was towards the end of year. Worps is a beast and I can’t wait to see him further progress.

I have him on my interchange, however it’s due to his versatility as a player. Not a knock on him whatsoever.

Just list him in the midfield, it's where we'll need him to play 80% of game time if we're to be relevant in 2020.

Impey not available until late in the season, so probably need Poppy to play to avoid a super tall forward line. Nash could play forward instead as he's also a pressure forward, but it would be nice to find a pressure forward that can actually hit the scoreboard more regularly than either of those managed.

Not convinced Moore or Hanrahan are the long term answer either....

Not convinced Moore or Hanrahan are the long term answer either....

Yup, they might be decent small forwards, but at this stage don't look to provide a replacement for the high pressure small forward role that poppy plays. At least we have Poppy for another year now, but you'd think this needs to be one of the priorities for next trade period. Impey more likely to be able play that role than Moore or Hanrahan, but he was too good off half back to try to move him there IMO (especially as without Impey we already look a little slow off half back - at least on paper)

Very interesting year ahead (2020).

I've been bullish will be all year - if we're fit come September, we'll win the flag.

In 2019 (the last half of the season - the part that matters because it suits my narrative! ;)), we had the 2nd best (or 1st best) Defensive performance in the league. Well, we just strengthened it.

FB:
Stratton.....Frawley.....Hardwick
HB: Sicily..........Frost..........Impey (will now be Smith, until Impey returns)....... Scrimshaw on the Bench

Our Forwardline was dysfunctional in the first half of 2019, but check this sh*t out:

HF: Gunston......Lewis.......Wingard
FF: Breust.........Patton.......Popeye...... TO'B on the Bench

Now in 2019, our midfield was depleted to start with - Scully & Mitchell. Then (Shiels, Wingard & Burgoyne, then Smith) it was injured & underdone. All the while, it was working hard to chop out for our Defence, but didn't go forward too effectively.

In 2020, we'll show:

Ce: BigBoy, Mitchell, Worpel, JO'M...... Supported by Henderson & Scully on the outside....... Shiels & Burgoyne on the Bench

Bench: Shiels, Burgoyne, TO'B & Scrimshaw; as above.

Gee, it looks awesome but lacks an Impey like a desert lacks rain... If we're fit & with Impey back - it's ours to lose.

This was my 2020 best 22 I tried to guess before round 1 2019:

Hardwick, Frawley, Stratton

Scrimshaw, Sicily, Impey

Scully, O'Meara, Smith

Henderson, Gunston, Wingard

Breust, Lewis, Walker

McEvoy, Mitchell, Worpel

Int: Howe, Nash, O'Brien, Morrison
—————
Overall I’m patting myself on the back, but it was mostly conservative.

Morrison the only one there who’s not a chance to line up in round 1 next year. Impey obviously would be if fit. Poppy is maybe the one miss, I didn’t expect to still be going strong, although he’s not a lock.

Potential ins, in order of likelihood: Frost, Patton, Ceglar, Poppy (draftee or DFA mid could muscle in)

Potential outs, in order of likelihood:
Morrison, Walker, Nash, Howe

Lewis works a lot up the ground a bloody lot. It's his workrate that kept Roughead out of the team. Roughie was cooked. He was done. But he'd done more than enough over the years and lived thru enough to be cooked, so that was understandable.

Hes also a very good kick inside 50, as is nash. Would be great if we could control both hff/wings for high balls, on the lead etc

Thinking something like:

Bruest patton wingard/poppy
Nash. Gunston/O’Brien lewis

With obrien gunston wingard the most likely to swing into other positions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back