Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Anyone want to guess any potential pick swaps that could happen between now and the draft?

Melbourne pick 3 and the GWS pick 6 and 2020 first round is a pretty obvious one; you would almost be surprised that it hasn't happened if it was going to.

I quite like Freo's pick 22 for Adelaide's pick 28 and 45, or Hawthorn's pick 30 for Adelaide's pick 35 and 49.

Both clubs get more points for their bids, though there may be other ways they could do even better.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone want to guess any potential pick swaps that could happen between now and the draft?

Melbourne pick 3 and the GWS pick 6 and 2020 first round is a pretty obvious one; you would almost be surprised that it hasn't happened if it was going to.

I quite like Freo's pick 22 for Adelaide's pick 28 and 45, or Hawthorn's pick 30 for Adelaide's pick 35 and 49.

Both clubs get more points for their bids, though there may be other ways they could do even better.
Doubt you’d do the hawks swap, we’d be all over that

Freo’ pick 22 and 50 something basically cover us for points for any bid 12 onwards for Henry and our pick 10 will be 11 after Green is bid on.

I imagine there are a lot of clubs asking about 15 and 20 from GC give their list spots

Last edited:
Freo’ pick 22 and 50 something basically cover us for points for any bid 12 onwards for Henry and our pick 10 will be 11 after Green is bid on.

I imagine there are a lot of clubs asking about 15 and 22 from GC give their list spots
Can see Dees trying to trade GWS 2020 first for the GC pick(s). I think GWS will need to get a third party involved to satisfy us on a swap for pick 3 given we’ve rejected their offers based on their existing assets.

Puregold

All Australian
Jul 29, 2009
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Not sure if it can be done but if I was freo and he’s I would be trying to get around the early academy bids.
1. GWS swap 6 for freos 2020 first round before bid for green.
2. Once green is picked. They swap 2020 freo first round for 2020 Carlton first round and then move the Carlton (or a team like this) first round to the dockers for 10 and a late pick. Carlton get a sweetener somewhere.
GWS get green and pick 10

dockers get 6,7 and henry

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
the
Can see Dees trying to trade GWS 2020 first for the GC pick(s). I think GWS will need to get a third party involved to satisfy us on a swap for pick 3 given we’ve rejected their offers based on their existing assets.
I agree both club also need to satisfied the third parties. Worse come to worse GWS use up pick 6 and other pick on green, if players they want still available, trade their future first later to GCS or other club. GWS identifies Sam Taylor, Ian Hill Lobb in second round range. As much I rated top 10 talent but tim Kelly trade change the games.

Eg North Melbourne can always trade Melbourne future first round for GCS pick 15 if the players they want still avaiable after top 10 pick.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

If gws use 3 to bid on another player before Green. Then go into deficit to match a bid on Green. Would that push their 2020 first round pick backwards?

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If gws use 3 to bid on another player before Green. Then go into deficit to match a bid on Green. Would that push their 2020 first round pick backwards?
So what if they trade their 2020/1 to get 3...does their 2nd get pushed back?

GWS do that all day everyday

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
So what if they trade their 2020/1 to get 3...does their 2nd get pushed back?

GWS do that all day everyday
I am not sure.

Possibly their 2020 first round pick would still get pushed back even if they have traded it to another team.
=-=

I think if Sydney bid for him at pick 5. That is about 1500 points with discount. I think they have Pick 40 (429 points), 59 (158 points) ,60 (146 points), 80 (zero).

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think pick 6 is enough for GWS, you need to set a limit and then walk off, two first round pick for Green ( St kilda trade), pretty similar to Tim Kelly trade without playing a game for them. Trading their future become three first round more that tim kelly.

Last edited:
I can’t get my head around why Melbourne would entertain pick 3 for 6 and a future first likely to be in the early 20s, at the same time potentially missing out on their preferred choice at 3.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
We’ve already rejected that offer.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
David Noble has said that we are open to trading our selections 16 & 21 to move up into the top 10-12 selections.

Possible options- Dockers pick 10, Hawks pick 11, Blues pick 9, Demons pick 8. Maybe if we throw in our 2020 1st we could move up even higher??

There are a few clubs who have more enticing selections to offer to move further up though eg. Cats 14 & 17, Power 12 & 18, Suns 15 & 20.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Everyone wants to try and trade up the draft which makes it difficult now the player trading is done.

It suits both parties in the cases where one team can split an early first rounder into a later first rounder and something else and then use the later first rounder to trade for a player but now that is done you are basically going to have to pay through the nose or gamble like a mofo on future pick positions to get it done.

I know next years draft is heavily compromised but I could see us trading 36 this year for a future pick next year because of list spots. Would need to be a future second from someone who is likely to finish low on the ladder I'd say so not sure if that would suit anyone.

David Noble has said that we are open to trading our selections 16 & 21 to move up into the top 10-12 selections.

Possible options- Dockers pick 10, Hawks pick 11, Blues pick 9, Demons pick 8. Maybe if we throw in our 2020 1st we could move up even higher??

There are a few clubs who have more enticing selections to offer to move further up though eg. Cats 14 & 17, Power 12 & 18, Suns 15 & 20.
Dockers would do that you’d think given we’ll make them use pick 10 on Henry anyway

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I think pick 6 is enough for GWS, you need to set a limit and then walk off, two first round pick for Green ( St kilda trade), pretty similar to Tim Kelly trade without playing a game for them. Trading their future become three first round more that tim kelly.
The pick trades aren't for Green.

They're for a player AND Green. That's the whole point.

Green was always going to cost them 12 and 18 in points. If they can trade those and a pick in the late teens or early 20s and get another top 4 level talent, that seems a no brainer.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

16 and 21 might get you that Power 12.

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
The pick trades aren't for Green.

They're for a player AND Green. That's the whole point.

Green was always going to cost them 12 and 18 in points. If they can trade those and a pick in the late teens or early 20s and get another top 4 level talent, that seems a no brainer.

Correct. The initial trade was a good one, but they botched it completely by not using a player and/or securing additional 2019 picks to move further up.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back