Unsolved Rubaiyat - Suspicious deaths, codes & spies

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

Khayamm was an astronomer, astrologer, physician, philosopher, and mathematician: he made outstanding contributions in algebra. His poetry is better known in the West than any other non-Western poet.

Some great research has been added to the Tamam Shud thread on the unknown man found on Somerton Beach, Adelaide that may not apply to SM and I think needs it's own thread.

Can start with the Jewish Marshall brothers and their father who fled to Perth from Singapore at the start of WW2, and apparently set up a men's clothing store in Perth.

"George" Joseph Saul Haim Marshall travelled often to Sydney with his job and was found dead in Ashton Park, Mosman, on a ledge of rock over-looking Taylor Bay on the 3rd June 1945. His Hebrew name was Yosef Chaim Saul ben Yisroel and his brother David Saul Marshall, became Singapore’s first Chief Minister after WW2.

A copy of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam was said to be found lying on his chest.

The book had a pencil mark against the lines quatrain XXIII:

Ah make the most of what we yet may spend,
Before we too Into the dust descend;
Dust into dust, and under dust to lie.
Sans wine, sans song, sans singer and-sans end.

Strangely his time of death was estimated to be two weeks earlier and his was badly decomposed. He was lying on a newspaper with the date. The winter weather had been wet and windy weather and animals had been feasting on his body.

Besides the Rubaiyat and suspected suicide, the other strange connection to the Somerton Man was that his head and shoulders were propped up on the large flat rock looking over the water at Taylor Bay in Sydney. He was found to have died from poisoning.

He was facing due East and Somerton Man was facing due west looking over the water at Glenelg beach when discovered.

https://anemptyglass.fandom.com/wiki/Joseph_(George)_Saul_Haim_Marshall (comments are interesting.

From Gordan
Not quite on this thread but related to the Marshall case.

Here's the Verse 23 from the Methuen 7th edition which seems to have been proven not to be a false imprint. From what I understand the contents of each edition are identical in terms of the verses they contain. Some carry adverts and some carry additional commentary.

However, in a Methuen 5th edition, that same verse is verse 24 and not 23. It seems that there is an additional verse somewhere. The 5th edition is a PDF and there are a few pages missing, here's quite a lengthy commentary upfront so you will need to get around pages 111 and 112 to see the relevant verses. I am not sure what effect this has, I had not heard it mentioned before but it may be a known issue nonetheless. If anyone has any information on the apparent difference I would certainly appreciate it if you could let me know.

Is it possible to bring the posts on other codes and spies of the era to this thread?

Danetta Code posted by Gordon and other possible posts to bring across.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I haven't said anything other than that two Wives of Soviet representatives in Australia were in Hospital.
It's possible that one or both might of crossed paths with Jessica Harkness.
You can speculate about any subsequent relationship, recruitment or offer as a "fellow traveller" to help the Soviet agents, however there is no direct evidence of either, as yet. Conversely there's no evidence that she might of been recruited by Australian or Allied intelligence services to honey trap the Soviet agents either, although the possibility is enhanced by knowledge of her forming some sort of dalliance with Alf Boxall.
Maybe Alf was her handler? The opportunity to penetrate the Soviet spy ring must of been very tempting when such an opportunity arises.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
So two Soviet Representative wives were in hospital somewhere in Australia in 1946 is the only possible connection to them being SM?

I hadn't heard of ROK before and don't think it's been discussed anywhere on thes thread before so not sure why this came up.

However I thought ROK referred to Rubaiyat of Oman Kayyam, doesn't it?

The "fellow traveller" comment is interesting. Freemasons refer to each other as "fellow travellers" and it's one of the ways they identify them selves to each other, by mentioning this in conversation. A follow up question to make sure you are talking to a fellow Freemason is to ask where are you traveling and the answer always involves, toward the east, sunrise, star of the East or similar.

Communism and its connection to Marxism and secret societies may be more important that spying in this case?

1571457971616.png

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
So two Soviet Representative wives were in hospital somewhere in Australia in 1946 is the only possible connection to them being SM?

I hadn't heard of ROK before and don't think it's been discussed anywhere on thes thread before so not sure why this came up.

However I thought ROK referred to Rubaiyat of Oman Kayyam, doesn't it?

The "fellow traveller" comment is interesting. Freemasons refer to each other as "fellow travellers" and it's one of the ways they identify them selves to each other, by mentioning this in conversation. A follow up question to make sure you are talking to a fellow Freemason is to ask where are you traveling and the answer always involves, toward the east, sunrise, star of the East or similar.

Communism and its connection to Marxism and secret societies may be more important that spying in this case?

View attachment 767662

Maybe you're onto something. Whilst the Venona project analysts might've been looking at the Soviet use of ROK as a codename of an individual, it may well of been the codename of the operation that he was running. Maybe a spy ring recruited within a society of people whose pass book was the Rubaiyat.
Whether it's a secret society such as freemasons, or a society of people whose purpose was to participate in (then illegal) homosexual / bisexual / multiple partner non monogamous relationships might be a question that'll find an answer once we know if there was some connection between Jessica Harkness and the soviet codename ROK.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
How did project Venona come about?
There's an official history of the discovery that the Australian Soviet Embassy reused a code book which enabled the US SIS to decrypt Soviet cables, but this doesn't explain the roots of the project, and how it started from Australia.

And if you're convinced that Somerton Man was American and had possibly been in Australia during the war, and that his identity was known but kept secret by ASIO, then here is as good a place to start from as any

21 Henry St, Ascot, Queensland

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
How did project Venona come about?
There's an official history of the discovery that the Australian Soviet Embassy reused a code book which enabled the US SIS to decrypt Soviet cables, but this doesn't explain the roots of the project, and how it started from Australia.

And if you're convinced that Somerton Man was American and had possibly been in Australia during the war, and that his identity was known but kept secret by ASIO, then here is as good a place to start from as any

21 Henry St, Ascot, Queensland

Personally I don't think he was American because of the Ina Harvey Interview. I think he spoke English as a second language, probably German, but had strong connections with relatives in America.

I've taken a practical view looking at the physical evidence and original documents or witnesses to try to gather who he is or what he looked like.

Trying to figure out what SM was doing in Adelaide and what "side" he may have been on is definitely more difficult as there is flip flopping, then secrets that will never be revealed from ASIO that may be connected.

So, I've taken an overview with some general questions initially. I think it's probable that SM is the father of her son Robin and she knew who he was. IMO the identity of SM is known to those higher than the police in SA, or ASIO. I think Det Sgt Leane was instructed in some ways to make sure the identity if the SM was not discovered. Also I think Coroner Cleland, with his Communist leanings was also encouraged to make suer the true identity was not disicovered.

Since you've looked in some detail at Operation Verona and presumable understand how Communism was the enemy of he Western world (or at least USA, Australia and GB) in 1948, can you explain how a card carrying, out and proud communist under surveillance by ASIO from at least 1942 and who was swiftly dismissed from serving in in Papua New Guinea on January 3, 1945 (brutal treatment of prisoners?) was able to flourish and succeed professionally and personally in Adelaide rising to the highest Law positions in the State as Supreme Court Judge?

1. Was Jo Harkness a spy if so who for? Many CIA spies also spoke Russian.

2. Why did she as a single pregnant woman go to live in Adelaide where she had no family support and where Prosper Thomson who she eventually married, had never lived or had family?

3. Why did she choose to keep the baby when unmarried woman almost always gave up their children for adoption at the time even if they were in committed relationships and married the father of the baby after it was born?

4. Was she part of a Communist or other secret group that was centred in Adelaide which looked after her financially?

5. Was Elliott Johnston really just not a Communist, but a spy for ASIO?

(I've flipped and flopped on this and with all the ASIO records, trips he made to China, Korea, Russia and India I think he truly was a Communist)

6. Did Elliott Johnston hold a secret that could compromise Australia and USA that gave him permanent protection and a "free ride" professionally and personally in whatever he was doing?

7. If so, was this secret the identity of the Somerton Man or is the secret what SM was doing in Adelaide?

8. Was this secret big enough to murder a 2 year old boy to stop his father testifying at the Inquest about the identity of the SM?

9. How did Prosper Thomson get 1500 pounds cash that he advertised for a house around the time or shortly after SM was discovered?

10. Did Elliott Johnson receive 50,000 pounds in 1949 that was said to be a loan from the Communist Party, but he was never required to pay it back?

This is a claim made by someone that knew him in "Paedophiles down under - Adelaide". He bought a big house, latest model car and put money into his business it was claimed.

He then didn't work until 1957 (from his oral interview) because he firstly travelled around the world for about 18 months by himself as his wife either recently had given birth or adopted a baby boy in 1949.

When he returned according to his oral interview he became a organisor of communist party meetings and "peace" meeting which was another excuse to visit Communist counties.

If he did receive this money worth 6 - 8 mill today from the Communists, which totally goes against all their philosopies and I don't think they had large amount of money to give to random men in Adelaide, I can't see how it avoided being tried be being a spy.

However the CIA had plenty of money and gold so did he receive this large amount of money from them? And was this a hush payment to not publicise what he knew?

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On the issue of Venona, here's a list of Venona messages that contain reference to ROK and other Australian Venona cables:

And here's further information regarding 'Fellow Travellers' or supporters of the cause:

You'll find a reference to 'KLOD' sometimes called 'Claude', that's Wally Clayton, the main source of information gathered for the Soviets in Australia.

Last edited:

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And for those who have plenty of time on their hands :)

This is wall to wall coverage of the Venona cables with numerous lists of names.

Mycroft

Debutant
Apr 5, 2016
Panama
Maybe you're onto something. Whilst the Venona project analysts might've been looking at the Soviet use of ROK as a codename of an individual, it may well of been the codename of the operation that he was running. Maybe a spy ring recruited within a society of people whose pass book was the Rubaiyat.
Whether it's a secret society such as freemasons, or a society of people whose purpose was to participate in (then illegal) homosexual / bisexual / multiple partner non monogamous relationships might be a question that'll find an answer once we know if there was some connection between Jessica Harkness and the soviet codename ROK.

Similar hedonistic sentiments were held by occultist Aleister Crowley followers....'do as thou will'. Crowley died 1/12/47, and SM died on his one year anniversary in 1948.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hmmm, anyone try this?
There's a manual on how to use it here》
65cf95451e07841d45436beccebb9994.jpg

And for those who have plenty of time on their hands :)

This is wall to wall coverage of the Venona cables with numerous lists of names.
And here's a short history of the project from the US perspective. The background story began when Finnish Signals Intelligence handed over a Russian code book to the Americans, the book was partially burnt but it gave the Americans a significant breakthrough:

Better placed on the threadbelow and less likely to clog of the Tamam Shud thread?

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
On the issue of Venona, here's a list of Venona messages that contain reference to ROK and other Australian Venona cables:

And here's further information regarding 'Fellow Travellers' or supporters of the cause:

You'll find a reference to 'KLOD' sometimes called 'Claude', that's Wally Clayton, the main source of information gathered for the Soviets in Australia.
There are many connections to communism and secret societies including Freemasons, so not unusual they use the same "fellow travellers" language.

So how did Elliott Johnston remain a card carrying communist organisor from around 1941, and on the surface being financially supported by the Communist Party, not be arrested or have his business destroyed in the post war anti communist climate in Australia?

Johnston was being spied on at Communist meetings he regularly spoke at and other activities he was involved in. Why are records permanently closed after the meeting in October/Nov 1948 for around 2 years?

Why are there 330 out of 400 pages of records ASIO keep on Elliott Johnston permanently closed?

Was Woomera Rocket range also know as Area 53 and what was top secret there in 1948?

What was the date Prosper Thomson put the add in newspaper wanting a house for 1500 pounds cash?

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Remember Thomas Keane of Wooloongabba?
Here's another coincidence.

What's the co-incidence?

The T Keane or T Kean JR that is seen on the tie could have been L Leane. A written Capital L of Lionel Leane looks very much like the supposed T.
1571543501759.png
Signature of L. Leane

Also the tie with the signature on looks to be coarse material and not what the well dressed man would be wearing. Looks like a boys first communion tie.

Remember also the suitcase is only tied to SM through a reel of thread that was in the suitcase and said to be the same thread SM's suit coat was mended with.

Also there was much publicity at the time of the "Keane" trunk items being auctioned, that may have given someone the idea of pinning the "Keane" name of the unknown man.

The consensus from police was that with all the care the unknown man had taken to remove all labels and identifying elements it is very strange he had items that had the Keane name and could be a false lead, and was discounted.

trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/11111032
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/11111035
1571544087872.png
1571544131769.png

1571544203400.png

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Some more deaths associated with the
Rubáiyát of Omar Khayy ́am

Arthur Newland 1910
allegedly jumped off a ferry, with rocks and pieces of lead in his pockets leaving behind some strange letters and a book. Yeah, that book.
08 Oct 1910 - THE HARBOR SUICIDE. - Evening News (Sydney, NSW) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article117959919

Eva Coster 1921
Then it gets decisively weird. Someone using the name Josephine Wilson is found dead in a Melbourne boarding house. Newspaper cutting citing a court case, a man's prescription in the name of Mr Chester, letters from someone named Arthur, and you guessed it, that book again.
04 Oct 1921 - MYSTERIOUS DEATH - The Daily News (Perth, WA) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article81805446
25 Oct 1921 - DEATH OF “JOSEPHINE WILSON.” - The Journal (Adelaide, SA) Her real name is Eva Coster http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article208673876
26 Oct 1921 - CASUALTIES. - The Register (Adelaide, SA) name of theatrical company "The Tan and go Tea" mentioned in article http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article63422375

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Some great research has been added to the Tamam Shud thread on the unknown man found on Somerton Beach, Adelaide that may not apply to SM and I think needs it's own thread.

Can start with the Jewish Marshall brothers and their father who fled to Perth from Singapore at the start of WW2, and apparently set up a men's clothing store in Perth.

"George" Joseph Saul Haim Marshall travelled often to Sydney with his job and was found dead in Ashton Park, Mosman, on a ledge of rock over-looking Taylor Bay on the 3rd June 1945. His Hebrew name was Yosef Chaim Saul ben Yisroel and his brother David Saul Marshall, became Singapore’s first Chief Minister after WW2.

A copy of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam was said to be found lying on his chest.

The book had a pencil mark against the lines quatrain XXIII:

Strangely his time of death was estimated to be two weeks earlier and his was badly decomposed. He was lying on a newspaper with the date. The winter weather had been wet and windy weather and animals had been feasting on his body.

Besides the Rubaiyat and suspected suicide, the other strange connection to the Somerton Man was that his head and shoulders were propped up on the large flat rock looking over the water at Taylor Bay in Sydney. He was found to have died from poisoning.

He was facing due East and Somerton Man was facing due west looking over the water at Glenelg beach when discovered.

https://anemptyglass.fandom.com/wiki/Joseph_(George)_Saul_Haim_Marshall (comments are interesting.

From Gordan
Not quite on this thread but related to the Marshall case.

Here's the Verse 23 from the Methuen 7th edition which seems to have been proven not to be a false imprint. From what I understand the contents of each edition are identical in terms of the verses they contain. Some carry adverts and some carry additional commentary.

However, in a Methuen 5th edition, that same verse is verse 24 and not 23. It seems that there is an additional verse somewhere. The 5th edition is a PDF and there are a few pages missing, here's quite a lengthy commentary upfront so you will need to get around pages 111 and 112 to see the relevant verses. I am not sure what effect this has, I had not heard it mentioned before but it may be a known issue nonetheless. If anyone has any information on the apparent difference I would certainly appreciate it if you could let me know.

Is it possible to bring the posts on other codes and spies of the era to this thread?

Danetta Code posted by Gordon and other possible posts to bring across.
Marshall forewarned Graham of her friend being evil. She died in that friend's bathroom.

27 Mar 1948 - GWENETH DOROTHY GRAHAM - Smith's Weekly (Sydney, NSW) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article234625228

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Marshall forewarned Graham of her friend being evil. She died in that friend's bathroom.

27 Mar 1948 - GWENETH DOROTHY GRAHAM - Smith's Weekly (Sydney, NSW) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article234625228

Wasn't Graham also Jewish and a friend of the Marshall's?

Joseph (George) Marshall's death is a deep rabbit hole of possible mis - identification, murder and not suicide, Rubaiyat and body positioning that Gwenny looked to get fatally involved in.

With a brother David Marshall becoming Singapore's first Chief Minister the hole gets deeper. Would top it off to find they were related to the Rothschild family?

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Wasn't Graham also Jewish and a friend of the Marshall's?

Joseph (George) Marshall's death is a deep rabbit hole of possible mis - identification, murder and not suicide, Rubaiyat and body positioning that Gwenny looked to get fatally involved in.

With a brother David Marshall becoming Singapore's first Chief Minister the hole gets deeper. Would top it off to find they were related to the Rothschild family?
If you're looking for relatives. Hint: Start with the 1st Lord Barrington of Barrington Bank and work through the lineages.

The custom of Primogeniture amongst the nobility, means that most Descendants are just ordinary folk like my wife who's descendant of the Sealy line of East India Company men

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
If you're looking for relatives. Hint: Start with the 1st Lord Barrington of Barrington Bank and work through the lineages.

The custom of Primogeniture amongst the nobility, means that most Descendants are just ordinary folk like my wife who's descendant of the Sealy line of East India Company men

So although she is directly related to the current HRH Queen Elizabeth II through the Queen Mother, to the Barringtons, then to he own line of Sealy, she's not from any line that has inherited the titles, nor the money simply because one of her ancestors was a second born son. The line from the first born is an entirely different story. Similarly, although you might find a link, to Rothschild from Marshall, it might not be of any value or consequence to this case.

Last edited:

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Example of a poem code, may or may not be useful:

THE POEM CODE EXPLAINED
This is how a poem code works. Start with a poem which you have memorized: it needn’t be especially long, nor complete. For example, this fragment from Ulysses will do: “for my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset, and the baths of all the western stars until I die.” Select five words as a key from this: say, “for”, “sail”, “all”, “stars”, “die.” String them together and then number the letters, starting with “a” as 1, the second “a” as 2, etc.; or if there is no second “a”, then “b” is numbered 2; if no “b” then “c” gets labelled 2, and so on until we have numbered all letters. The result:

pcode1.png

Now suppose we want to encrypt the message, “We have run out of cigars, situation desperate.” Incidentally, encoding must not be confused with encrypting—our message, for example, may be encoded, “Nothing left for Mark Twain to do, dammit” (where we hope the person hearing this is clever enough to figure it out). Since there are 18 letters in our poem selection, we write out the message in groups of 18 letters, padding the end with nonsense letters, like this:

pcode2.png

Note the first letter from our poem snippet, an “f”; under it is a 6: the second letter is an “o” and under it is a 12. In our (padded, grouped message) the 6th column of letters is “eud”, and under the 12th is “tdk”. It was more or less standard practice to send the encrypted message in groups of five letters, which reduced (but of course did not eliminate) transmission errors. So the first part of our message would be: eudtd koekc pmwrt.

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On the theme of Spying and the Rubaiyat, not widely discussed is the fact that Irish martyr Sir, later plain, Roger Casement, when arrested on the beach that day, had with him a copy of the Rubaiyat. That copy resides in the Metropolitan Police Museum, not on display, but in archives I understand.

Attachments

• quote-self-government-is-our-right-a-thing-born-to-us-at-birth-a-thing-no-more-to-be-doled-rog...jpg
    quote-self-government-is-our-right-a-thing-born-to-us-at-birth-a-thing-no-more-to-be-doled-rog...jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 114

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Last for the afternoon, the attached PDF is the famed MI9 code. This was the code used by prisoners of War in WW2. Not overly complex, some of its techniques were picked up and used by others as is the case of the poem code. It was not unusual to find numerous code techniques rolled into a hybrid.

What is interesting in this code is the inclusion of a 'signature' for want of a better term. There had to be a way to authenticate a code and there are examples in this PDF. That was the case with the DANETTA authenticator found in a number of the SM documents and in Tibor Kaldor's last letter.

Attachments

• MI9 POW code.pdf
    179.8 KB · Views: 289

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
If we are just talking men's fashion in the 40s and not spies who couldn't have been involved as the SM (which have their own thread :cool:), then I have never seen one photo a a man fro that era wearing a white tie! Not even dress naval uniforms which were white, had white ties.

Makes me think that the white tie in suitcase was a plant and the name was Kean jr. It's what could have been worn with a holy communion suit for boys.
PS. The spy thread has disappeared.
Was going t post this to it. It's from a show I used to watch as a kid. It might give you food for thought

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
PS. The spy thread has disappeared.
Was going t post this to it. It's from a show I used to watch as a kid. It might give you food for thought

It was a great series, there was a character, Lonely? but I think that was later than this trailer shows. You do have to wonder just how much of these types of programs had some sort of basis in truth.

For me, when I stand back and look at the SM case, don't stand to close, all of the clues and evidence almost without exception, could have been part of a deliberate plan, the plan to assassinate the man and make it look like a suicide or make it unsolvable. No trace of any poison except the symptoms and even then there was a serious doubt. As they say, Any fool can commit murder but it takes an artist to commit a perfect natural death. That's what I think this was.

As an aside, have you dropped by the anemptyglass.fandom.com lately? You get a few mentions as does Blue E and me and anyone else who doesn't agree with the resident troll's views on life. He's partial to taking the work of others and appending his name amongst other things. He has effectively hijacked the wiki and uses it as a platform to launch attacks on others and loudly proclaim how wrong we all are.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
It was a great series, there was a character, Lonely? but I think that was later than this trailer shows. You do have to wonder just how much of these types of programs had some sort of basis in truth.

For me, when I stand back and look at the SM case, don't stand to close, all of the clues and evidence almost without exception, could have been part of a deliberate plan, the plan to assassinate the man and make it look like a suicide or make it unsolvable. No trace of any poison except the symptoms and even then there was a serious doubt. As they say, Any fool can commit murder but it takes an artist to commit a perfect natural death. That's what I think this was.

As an aside, have you dropped by the anemptyglass.fandom.com lately? You get a few mentions as does Blue E and me and anyone else who doesn't agree with the resident troll's views on life. He's partial to taking the work of others and appending his name amongst other things. He has effectively hijacked the wiki and uses it as a platform to launch attacks on others and loudly proclaim how wrong we all are.
This was the 1st episode.

I discovered the FD wiki site a few days ago, and started a dialogue.

It's always useful to get feedback, because I don't want to waste time on rabbit holes that other Jack Russells have already pursued to a dead end, and it's useful to have someone combative to one's assumptions. Some pointers would've been useful though.

Last edited:
Back