List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure how these matching points work. Could someone tell me if.
Another club picks Magginess at 20 ( 912 less 20% = 730 points ) can Hawthorn match with picks 42 54 and 63 ( 727 points ).
Hawthorn would still have pick 30. Hawthorn has picked some very good players near pick 30.

Another club picks Magginess at 20 ( 912 less 20% = 730 points ) can Hawthorn match with picks 42 54 and 63 ( 727 points ).
Hawthorn would still have pick 30. Hawthorn has picked some very good players near pick 30.

no. the next pick is used + next pick & so on if needed

It's going to be very interesting who we take at #11.

We probably don't need another inside mid with Finn, Worpel, Mitchell, JOM, Cousins, Jones, Howe, Shiels and Wingard at times
BUT it would be hard to pass on Kemp or Robertson.

McAsey and Gould probably don't fit a need but Gould looks exquisite.

Jackson could be the next Grundy but not sure our club would go down this path

Ash has a lot of lowlights in his highlights which is concerning.

Stephens fills a need and looks a very Hawthorn like player but unlikely he is available.

🤷‍♂️

It's so hard to predict the next superstar full-forward, full-back, ruckman, etc. they have so much more clout around them.. midfielders are generally a lot more predictable to acknowledge in the draft; they're often accumulators.

It's going to be very interesting who we take at #11.

We probably don't need another inside mid with Finn, Worpel, Mitchell, JOM, Cousins, Jones, Howe, Shiels and Wingard at times
BUT it would be hard to pass on Kemp or Robertson.

McAsey and Gould probably don't fit a need but Gould looks exquisite.

Jackson could be the next Grundy but not sure our club would go down this path

Ash has a lot of lowlights in his highlights which is concerning.

Stephens fills a need and looks a very Hawthorn like player but unlikely he is available.

🤷‍♂️
Out of curiosity what is it about Ash that you haven't liked?

I hope with our 1st pick we pick up a speedy half back guy who can break the lines ala impy style or a forward/mid like chad then use our next pick on finn. Kpp or ruckmen will generally take 3-4 years to develop, you might as well hit the trade like we did when we snagged frost and patton for those kind of players.

I hope with our 1st pick we pick up a speedy half back guy who can break the lines ala impy style or a forward/mid like chad then use our next pick on finn. Kpp or ruckmen will generally take 3-4 years to develop, you might as well hit the trade like we did when we snagged frost and patton for those kind of players.
With that thinking we would of had tambling and lewis instead of roughy and buddy.

The talk is that GWS and Melbourne will do a pick swap so the Giants can get a pick inside a bid for Green and give them access to 2 high end talents. It’s sounds like GWS will get pick 3 while Melbourne get pick 6 and a future 1st from the Giants.
We can’t trade out our future 1st without bringing back in a future 2nd after the Frost trade. If we had a player slide into the mid 20’s that we liked it wouldn’t shock me if we offered our 1st next year for a pick in the mid-high 20’s and a future 2nd.

The talk is that GWS and Melbourne will do a pick swap so the Giants can get a pick inside a bid for Green and give them access to 2 high end talents. It’s sounds like GWS will get pick 3 while Melbourne get pick 6 and a future 1st from the Giants.
We can’t trade out our future 1st without bringing back in a future 2nd after the Frost trade. If we had a player slide into the mid 20’s that we liked it wouldn’t shock me if we offered our 1st next year for a pick in the mid-high 20’s and a future 2nd.
I think that’s quite possible.
Some options below that could be done.

GC (20 and their & Brissy future 2nd
Freo (22 and their and Melb 2nd Rd picks next year)
Adelaide (23/28 and their and the bulldogs 2nd Rd 2020)
Geelong (24 and their future 2nd)Swans (25 and their future 2nd)
North (26/27 their future 2nd)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be fascinating to see who we take with our picks, if we do not split up our picks.

For example if we do not take Magginess with our first pick and say we get a bid at pick 17 for him, do we go into deficit and take him with pick 30?

What are out most pressing needs? I would have thought an area we could add to is small forward with Puopolo almost retiring, letter Miles go and wanting Chad to play more in the middle, yet trade week it did not seem we fought hard enough for 3 which went for 3rd-4th rounders.

I think most people think we need another strong midfielder to help Mitchell / JOM and with the 20% discount and romance of father / son, you would think Magginess will come into contention if a bid comes for him late first round / early second round.

It all depends where HFC sees value in the trade and how many holes do we need to fill. There have been some good players picked with late picks in the past- Stratton, Puopolo, Worpel, Sicily. Firstly do we need Magginess and what price are we happy to pay for, for example equivalent of pick 25, then do we want to get best player available at pick 11 or think is good idea to break up that pick for example one player Stephens vs two for example sharp (running midfielder) / Williams. When you look back if we had pick 20 would we have picked up Worpel?

The safe option is best available at pick 11, pick 30 for Magginess and make up difference with next pick, 42.

Fisher McAsey. He’s the one I hope GW picks if he’s still available. It is the highest first round pick in over a decade and I would be disappointed if the club wasted it on another midfielder when Maginness and Downie are both eligible to be selected which is more then enough midfielders when we have other pressing needs on the list.

And the big man stocks are quite down at the moment. Would need a tim mohr type late otherwise

As I understand it, there’s a pretty clear top 8-9, then gets a bit even to pick 30 or so, with some really good value possibly available in pick 20-35 range.

While the orthodox move is to use your pick before a f/s bid, given the premium some clubs have paid to get into first round (eg dees/north trade) we should be thinking laterally. Maybe there’s better value in pushing our 1st back (so gets used in bid on Finn) but picking up an extra pick or two in 2nd round?

We could be lucky with a player (eg kemp) sliding to our pick 11 (likely 12 if gws move up), but if not, what we pick up at 12 could be similar to what’s available at pick 20-30.

Eg: get to our pick and kemp is gone.
Live Trade pick 11 & 42 for say pick 17, 24 and 35 (yes a good deal for us). We use pick 17 when Finn gets picked at say 15, then have 24, 30 and 35.

Effectively could get us 4 top 35 players instead of just two (pick 11 and Finn (who will suck up most of pick 30 & 42).

Now is highly dependent on someone paying over the odds for pick 11 but is not out of the question. We could also keep live trading our first pick back a few spots until Finn gets bid.

We could also combine the above with swapping our future first for say a future 2nd and 2nd (which would give us 5 top 35 picks). We could then see if can trade our later picks (eg 54 onwards) into future picks to ensure have points for downie next year.

As I understand it, there’s a pretty clear top 8-9, then gets a bit even to pick 30 or so, with some really good value possibly available in pick 20-35 range.

While the orthodox move is to use your pick before a f/s bid, given the premium some clubs have paid to get into first round (eg dees/north trade) we should be thinking laterally. Maybe there’s better value in pushing our 1st back (so gets used in bid on Finn) but picking up an extra pick or two in 2nd round?

We could be lucky with a player (eg kemp) sliding to our pick 11 (likely 12 if gws move up), but if not, what we pick up at 12 could be similar to what’s available at pick 20-30.

Eg: get to our pick and kemp is gone.
Live Trade pick 11 & 42 for say pick 17, 24 and 35 (yes a good deal for us). We use pick 17 when Finn gets picked at say 15, then have 24, 30 and 35.

Effectively could get us 4 top 35 players instead of just two (pick 11 and Finn (who will suck up most of pick 30 & 42).

Now is highly dependent on someone paying over the odds for pick 11 but is not out of the question. We could also keep live trading our first pick back a few spots until Finn gets bid.

We could also combine the above with swapping our future first for say a future 2nd and 2nd (which would give us 5 top 35 picks). We could then see if can trade our later picks (eg 54 onwards) into future picks to ensure have points for downie next year.

Im sensing that, if a target slips, eleven get used. Otherwise, it may be live traded down for more picks

He seemed to butcher it quiet a bit.

He looks like the type who does take the game on at every chance so is probably more prone to suspect disposal but yeah maybe that's just me.

Do you have an opinion on him?
Honestly I don't think he butchers it much at all, think his ball use is definitely in the next group below Young. Of course he's gonna make mistakes but I just don't see him making more mistakes than any others really considering he is quite calm even though he does Rebound with speed.

Why is that? Anderson and Rowell have been considered to be the two stand out prospects by every scout so far.
Think it's more to the point that I wouldn't expect a club to take 2 midfielders when there is an elite ball using defender which doesn't come around too often. Plus I think he fills a need for GC more than another mid, they need elite ball use from the backline & country boys are known to have less of a go home factor than the metro boys.

The latter part of your message is definitely in play. There’s a particular kid we’re pretty keen on, fills a need longer term.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Quick question guys.

If a bid comes for Finn after our first pick and we need to use pick 30 & 42 on him, we will more than likely have more points (combined total of both picks) than required to match the bid. What happens to those points? Do we lose them completely? Or are they applied to our next pick or later picks to move up the draft order? Or do we have future credits for further NGA / FS bids?

Thanks in advance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dylan Stephens would be a fantastic addition to the list, our outside run is ageing with Smith & Hendo (Scully not that far behind). Maybe bring Stephens in this year and Downie in the following year to fill those needs.
Kemp is interesting, doubt he’ll slide that far though.
Can’t get over my infatuation with Gould, powerful unit with good marking & disposal. Good leader too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back