Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know when we will be announcing the rest of the appointments. many on here were saying the process was taking a long time because the club was going to announce the newbies to the coaching team so I a little surprised that nothing has happened.

Does anyone know when we will be announcing the rest of the appointments. many on here were saying the process was taking a long time because the club was going to announce the newbies to the coaching team so I a little surprised that nothing has happened.
It's almost like they were making it up...

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know that 95% of people disagree with me, but I just dont see how this guy is the best coach available. He has been under Hinkley at the power for 8 of the last 9 years. Port has been absolutely s**t house for most of that time and Hinkley is one of my least favourite coaches. I think Hinkley is so bad that I say a little prayer every day that he never gets the sack ;)

So how the * is Nicks the best option. I dont know. Feels like we hired him because he was from SA. Maybe he was the only one of the candidates that knew he had to blow smoke up Roos arse to get the job. Will be happy to be proven wrong, but count me in as one of the 5% who is 100% against this appointment.

I know that 95% of people disagree with me, but I just dont see how this guy is the best coach available. He has been under Hinkley at the power for 8 of the last 9 years. Port has been absolutely s**t house for most of that time and Hinkley is one of my least favourite coaches. I think Hinkley is so bad that I say a little prayer every day that he never gets the sack ;)

So how the fu** is Nicks the best option. I dont know. Feels like we hired him because he was from SA. Maybe he was the only one of the candidates that knew he had to blow smoke up Roos arse to get the job. Will be happy to be proven wrong, but count me in as one of the 5% who is 100% against this appointment.
Understand why you are thinking that , jury is out for me I’ll make a call in 12 months, still a fence sitter

So how the fu** is Nicks the best option. I dont know. Feels like we hired him because he was from SA. Maybe he was the only one of the candidates that knew he had to blow smoke up Roos arse to get the job. Will be happy to be proven wrong, but count me in as one of the 5% who is 100% against this appointment.

I would say most people will disagree with you because of your reasoning. Absolutely you're entitled to your opinion but saying things like 'only picked him because he's from SA' or 'only picked him because he blew smoke up Roos arse' makes you come across as being a bit petty and childish.

Sure it may not read great on paper that he spent most of his coaching at Port but then maybe he now has a better idea of what doesn't work at AFL level having seen it first hand. Honestly who knows but clearly he has enough positive traits to get the job so let's just give him a go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im happy to give him a go, if he can get the guys playing for each other again like we had in 2017 then he has done a great job. We were a broken club on the last half of last year.

I get the port connection not being great but Bolton was under Clarkson for years and he was about as s**t as they come. Hopefully he has Hinkley good traits and picked up some good traits from Cameron to steady this playing group

Im happy to give him a go, if he can get the guys playing for each other again like we had in 2017 then he has done a great job. We were a broken club on the last half of last year.

I get the port connection not being great but Bolton was under Clarkson for years and he was about as s**t as they come. Hopefully he has Hinkley good traits and picked up some good traits from Cameron to steady this playing group
You obviously think there won’t be much coming from Hinkley

You obviously think there won’t be much coming from Hinkley

1 thing Hinkley can do is get the players up for a big game, he seems to get the support of the players. That’s all we need Nicks to take from Hinkley.

He can take everything else from Cameron and throw in his personal touch

1 thing Hinkley can do is get the players up for a big game, he seems to get the support of the players. That’s all we need Nicks to take from Hinkley.

He can take everything else from Cameron and throw in his personal touch
Put together your non negotiable as a team let them play instinctive footy find out what as a side are our strengths and play to it ,find out what the young ones are capable of don’t handbrake them

find out what the young ones are capable of don’t handbrake them

And don’t ask them to do kamikaze short kicks accross the defensive 50 just begging to get picked off and scored against.

Thing is, by the end our game plan was so diabolically bad that any new coach could come in and make us look 100 times better. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that the core of this group are hitting 30 and their best footy is behind them. There isn’t a flag in this group in the next couple of years. So persisting with picking the likes of Lynch and playing Sloane in the midfield is just wasting opportunity to develop our players for a time when these guys are hitting or past retirement.

Nicks only aim for next season needs to be how to maximise the development of the young players on our list. Use the older players to protect them a bit and not let us get smashed every week like Carlton and Gold Coast. But not fall into the trap of chasing top 8 at the expense of giving opportunities.

And don’t ask them to do kamikaze short kicks accross the defensive 50 just begging to get picked off and scored against.

Thing is, by the end our game plan was so diabolically bad that any new coach could come in and make us look 100 times better. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that the core of this group are hitting 30 and their best footy is behind them. There isn’t a flag in this group in the next couple of years. So persisting with picking the likes of Lynch and playing Sloane in the midfield is just wasting opportunity to develop our players for a time when there guys are hitting or past retirement.

Nicks only aim for next season needs to be how to maximise the development of the young players on our list. Use the older players to protect them a bit and not let us get smashed every week like Carlton and Gold Coast. But not fall into the trap of chasing top 8 at the expense of giving opportunities.
Coaches should be putting all their effort into teaching this young group excepting they are going to make mistakes and don’t send them back to the two’s for it, I would prefer they give Frampton time ahead of Lynch

When I read thegibbsgamble’s posts, in my head the voice is like a drunk Homer Simpson.
Reminds me of this:

B5EMT1jCMAANnQ5.jpg

You may recall that even though Teague was Carlton's forward coach while Bolton was in charge (I remember Mark McLure giving him a serve on 360 several times on what he was doing with their young forwards), he admitted that he and Bolton had differing views on what style of game they wanted the team playing...

Obviously at the end of the day it's the head coach's decision but we all saw how Carlton improved rapidly once Teague was in charge and how he implemented a change in game plan in quick succession...

Just because Nicks was with Hinkley for 8 years doesn't mean that they had identical coaching philosophies...

As stated, he would have seen what worked and what didn't, as well as been influenced from his playing days at Sydney and his recent tenure at GWS...

Gotta back him in at this stage - need the team at least playing for each other (and the coach) and getting experience into the younger guys...

But, don't get me wrong - Yze did interest me a lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back