Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if people still think Gallop is a fool. He absolutely fleeced them on those last tv rights.

Yeah the scapegoating will just move to new targets.....the ABC will cop it next....the "clubs" who apparently were being hampered by the evil FFA will start getting their whack next

Getting barely over half the attendances for the same game a few years ago....must be alot of a league fans on kayo!

Yes, the crowd was just 17,231 which would still be a decent atmosphere at AAMI but looks terrible at Docklands.

Going back through the records, about 5 years ago they got a smidge over 30k against WSW at Docklands, which technically wouldn’t fit at AAMI. Every other time they’ve played them there it’s been well under the capacity for AAMI. Doesn’t seem to be the need to play there. Derbies and against Sydney FC sure, but not WSW.

Isnt the travelling supporters, if the clubs are going well, the fans travel.
What are the A-League arrangements with Docklands or is the Victory who have the arrangement.

So despite being on FTA as well the WBBL rated the same on Fox as the exclusive A-League game?

Those are very worrying signs for the A-League. This is supposed to be their clear air period.

Conversely, terrific numbers for the WBBL.

On 7's main channel though wasn't it? Great numbers for the WBBL, but awful numbers for 7's main channel. Didn't make the top 20 shows for the night, and BHG on 7Two had more than double the audience.

Isnt the travelling supporters, if the clubs are going well, the fans travel.
What are the A-League arrangements with Docklands or is the Victory who have the arrangement.

Yeah, I don't think there was ever 13k travelling Wanderers fans coming down to Melbourne. Maybe a tenth of that at their absolute peak and that is being generous. The league is just regressing back to its natural level

In terms of the Marvel deal, in pretty sure it is cheaper for victory there and they have some of their supporters prefer it cos it's more accessible from the west and north west

On 7's main channel though wasn't it? Great numbers for the WBBL, but awful numbers for 7's main channel. Didn't make the top 20 shows for the night, and BHG on 7Two had more than double the audience.

Yeah I wonder whether that is part of the deal or whether 7 just sacrificed a night for marketing purposes

Yeah, I don't think there was ever 13k travelling Wanderers fans coming down to Melbourne. Maybe a tenth of that at their absolute peak and that is being generous. The league is just regressing back to its natural level

In terms of the Marvel deal, in pretty sure it is cheaper for victory there and they have some of their supporters prefer it cos it's more accessible from the west and north west

Recollection of a bit of fan interaction both inside the venue & outside - didnt Victory send a big fan group packing, the North End or something similar in the Ian Robson days.

Yeah I wonder whether that is part of the deal or whether 7 just sacrificed a night for marketing purposes

Well 7 still won the night as a network, so they didn't sacrifice much. Especially given BHG only lost about 10% on last week's audience (when it was on the main channel). They probably would have got a similar network share if you swapped the WBBL and BHG.

It probably says there isn't as much difference nowadays being on a main channel as there used to be. And it lets Channel 7 virtue signal about putting women's sport on their main channel.

Opening Fixtures

AFLW (7/7mate/Fox) - 375k/57k (Sat eve)
WBBL (7/Fox) - 375k/43k & 325k/43k (Fri Night)
NRLW (9/GEM/Fox) - 140k/62k (sat arvo)
SuperNetball (9) - 145k (Sat Arvo)

Doesn't look like a disastrous crowd for Western United's first home game in Geelong. Quite a few fans wearing the club colours. Don't seem half bad on field either.
6,888 in the end. I think this was expected. Anyone who expected anything else had rocks in their heads.

Not a disaster but they have got a lot of hard work ahead of them. Thankfully, on-field, they have a chance.

Hope this is right as i found this on twitter. first game attendances for a-league clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6,888 in the end. I think this was expected. Anyone who expected anything else had rocks in their heads.

Not a disaster but they have got a lot of hard work ahead of them. Thankfully, on-field, they have a chance.

Hope this is right as i found this on twitter. first game attendances for a-league clubs.

Apparently they gave away 5k tickets!

This thing is going to get very very ugly

www.sourgrapes.com.au :)

I agree with your post. Good effort and better than I expected. No surprise to see them playing well. Rudan's a good coach, just a complete campaigner.

Hmmmm, I suspect it might be the bigfooty lurkers who primarily support other codes or the WAFL in the 1970s With the sourgrapes!

This guy might have (well founded) sour grapes but I Suspect he is also accurate....

Would have thought slightly disappointing FTA numbers for a qf against England

I personally turned off with a little under a quarter of the game to go

Another thing to keep an eye on is the ABC News ratings on Saturday evening. 500k seems low but that could be an outlier due to the rugby World cup.

If it becomes clear it is consistently down due to the a league repelling viewers then that could cause more issues than just stinking up the 5 to 7 slot for what the ABC is allegedly being paid to show (which is a dodgy precedent in and of itself i.e. privately owned franchise soccer league paying for exposure in the public broadcaster)

Last edited:
Another that by to keep an eye on is the ABC News ratings on Saturday evening. 500k seems low but that could be an outlier due to the rugby World cup.

If it becomes clear it is consistently down due to the a league repelling viewers then that could cause more issues than just stinking up the 5 to 7 slot for what the ABC is allegedly being paid to show (which is a dodgy precedent in and of itself i.e. privately owned franchise soccer league paying for exposure in the public broadcaster)

ABC isnt being paid to show it. It was effectively a swap to allow Foxtel to carry iview.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back