V9x18

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2014
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Pistons, Browns, BCFC, Lions
Yep I agree. That's why I posted above that deep down I really wish them & the Vic club they go to all the very worst.
Sounds bitter I know but who cares, the Vic club supporters of the team they've gone to clearly have shown they wish us all the worst.

Poor Mitch & Hanners.
Cry me a river Hawk & Saint supporters! F k em!

So you really wish Hanners "all the very worst"?

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
So you really wish Hanners "all the very worst"?
Do you want me to say what you want to hear? It's a general overall feeling. Not so much that they hurt themselves but the result of it for their fans. Suffer I say.
I only really care for our players.
He's not our player anymore so due to the battle we have always had to retain players that either want more money or say they want to go home, I couldn't care if things don't work out for them. Works both ways. Everyone, including our own supporters, wished bad for Tippett. Players that leave for greater senior opportunities, good luck to them if it works out well but players like Buckley who left Brisbane because he thought it would be better in Vic with the Pies, I couldn't be any happier that he dodged 3 premierships with Brisbane while he was trying to win one with Collingwood.

V9x18

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2014
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Pistons, Browns, BCFC, Lions
Do you want me to say what you want to hear? It's a general overall feeling. Not so much that they hurt themselves but the result of it for their fans. Suffer I say.
I only really care for our players.
He's not our player anymore so due to the battle we have always had to retain players that either want more money or say they want to go home, I couldn't care if things don't work out for them. Works both ways. Everyone, including our own supporters, wished bad for Tippett. Players that leave for greater senior opportunities, good luck to them if it works out well but players like Buckley who left Brisbane because he thought it would be better in Vic with the Pies, I couldn't be any happier that he dodged 3 premierships with Brisbane while he was trying to win one with Collingwood.

Weird.

Hanners was IMO the best player in our last premiership, gave his body to this club, was a tremendous player for a decade. I also think the Swans were more than happy to shed his huge contract once his form fell off a cliff. Felt like a pretty mutual parting of the ways.

Can't even begin to rationalize how you could wish someone like him "all the very worst".

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Zac I could care less for. Guess he always wanted back to vic. So you let him go, otherwise he destabilizes our list management until he eventually leaves. Let him go now. Who cares in the grand scheme of things.

Hanners bled for the club and the move was mutually beneficial.

Tippet can f off, prick did sfa for us while he was on the list, and held us to his contract after retirement. At least someone like boyd had the decency to give up his money when he was no longer able to contribute to his club. Tippett on the other hand...

We need to go back to recruiting a decent core of players who want to be here for opportunity, players like Craig Bolton or mattner who are gonna leave it all out there

barry fu

Premiership Player
Jun 8, 2009
The Chioggia clump
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sth Freo/Forest/Tricky Trees
Home is where the heart is, so they say.
Jones of Junction Oval may well turn into the player the Bloods Boffins had hoped for...Or saints seem certain of..
Frustrating footballer for Fu, always wanted to like him, yet he wouldn't allow it most match days.

As for the Balfour boy Tippett, Fu found him bit of a flat track bully type.
Though he had his share of bad luck injury wise. Knee, hammy and ankle, always ending in surgery so it seemed.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Weird.

Hanners was IMO the best player in our last premiership, gave his body to this club, was a tremendous player for a decade. I also think the Swans were more than happy to shed his huge contract once his form fell off a cliff. Felt like a pretty mutual parting of the ways.

Can't even begin to rationalize how you could wish someone like him "all the very worst".
Yeah huge contract!
If he was a Hawk p'ship player, he wouldn't have been on 850K to keep him at the club & stop him " going home"..
He would be taking pay cuts to stay at the club. We always need to give them more to keep them "l'oyal"

The CoLA was the mechanism to keep our players loyal.
Hanners a much lived Swan because we paid him more tgan he would have got back in Vic.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Hawks try to trade Schoenmakers but he wants to stay for less & play in reserves & retire prematurely after a p'ship. Offer up Breust but he wants to stay. Offer up washed up players to northern clubs when they are 31 & get a better pick than we did for Hanners because "we dumped his salary".
No sorry!
All the very worst Saints!

Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
76ers
I know, it sucks. And I don't get how that works when a young star that is developed by a team and is about to hit his peak, goes for less than he was drafted for... happens time and time again and makes no logical sense... you would think the club would get a bonus for their investment similar to soccer transfer fees...

It's almost like getting a lesser draft pick is a punishment for a player not wanting to stay at your club... which impacts the interstate clubs more so than Vic clubs... it's bullshit... and while I don't want cola back. There's no denying it helps to counteract that issue

Reckon there should be some sort of transfer fee that can be added to the salary cap? Atleast in AFL there's draft picks which usually get exchanged. If this was the NRL, we would get nothing for a player leaving lol. I've always thought if a contracted player wants to leave then there should be a transfer fee applied to it which can be added to the salary cap.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Still pissed off we let him go. He's in the perfect age bracket, showed great development and is exactly what we need for our attacking gameplan.

Pissed we let him go? What were we supposed to do?
He wanted to leave and it didn’t seem to be about money or opportunity.

Minor difference Papley is under contract until 2023 while Jones was out of contract.

Assume you expect the club to hold a player against their will? Force them to sign on again.
This is why if Papley really does want to go home, we trade him the year before his contract is up to max his value

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm guessing other teams get caught up out players leaving. Just feels incessant, either we are complaint about Jones, Mitchell, Membry, Nank, even Cameron, talk about sour grapes. Has no other team lost a player they wanted to keep? Is it only Sydney.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm guessing other teams get caught up out players leaving. Just feels incessant, either we are complaint about Jones, Mitchell, Membry, Nank, even Cameron, talk about sour grapes. Has no other team lost a player they wanted to keep? Is it only Sydney.

You only have to look at the % of afl-listed players from each state to see who benefits from players wanting to go home. We're going to be up against it until there's an even spread of talent across the country.

Based on 2018 figures, new & qld have enough to field 1 team each based on current listed players (2018).
Screenshot_20200729-191625_Chrome.jpg

Back