Preview Moving on - the future begins now

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised that so many are tipping us to be contending for the bottom 4. Sure there will be a few inconsistent performances with a younger crew but there were inconsistent performances with the older crew as well. Our core group still remains. We'll still be competitive against every side.
I feel we have a baby Bombers ring to our theme this year.

I actually can see Mackay playing the role like Thommo in his final year ie. playing mostly SANFL, maybe except 1-2 games in AFL to manage/rest other players.

Gibbs I am dead keen to see what he can produce coming off a very average season. Normally a good user of the ball, but almost the entire 2019 he seemed to be off for whatever reason. Hopefully a turnaround will happen as I still see him as a best 22. We need a fit and firing Gibbs.

Agreed. Gibbs is not our long term future but he’s better than what he showed last year and as a senior player needs to step up and provide leadership and support for the kids.

Agreed. Gibbs is not our long term future but he’s better than what he showed last year and as a senior player needs to step up and provide leadership and support for the kids.
He needs to step up because he's one of our most senior players at the club now, and the kids to be played will be mostly inexperienced. We need strong leaders with strong onfield output to lift the team to where it needs to go.

Imagine if our first possession next year is a dinky tap back to the centreman who handpasses backward to a little up and under sideways floating chip...

A tap straight down the m crouch who cAn hit fogarty on the chest 40 meters out, but shanks it along the ground, straight to the opposition, macay goes to tackle and breaks a fingernail, gives up. Opposition run forward kick it deep inside 50 and harrigan drops a chest mark, milers cleans up and handball straight to their full Forward, who kicks quickly towards goal. Brown lunges on the line, score review called. Review says goal before they show final camera angle that clearly says it was touched. Nicks rings the umpire boss and they tell Him because you lost the contested ball, nothing to see here.

Welcome to adelaide Mathew. You'll never address are fumbliness under pressure if you don't recognise what targeted by umpires does.

I used to say if you don’t win the premiership, the next best position is last.

so as I can’t see us with a flag, the thought of being in the bottom 8 will at least allow us a good chance at talent. With a handful of men, we’ll start all over again.

Yep we are in the first year of a multi year rebuild

c4a.gif

I’m glad Nicks came in not promising anything concrete about next year except effort. I’m genuinely hopeful we’ll properly bottom out and properly rebuild.

I’m glad Nicks came in not promising anything concrete about next year except effort. I’m genuinely hopeful we’ll properly bottom out and properly rebuild.
No chance of that. Not bottoming out is our primary goal as an organisation.

We will be one of the older teams assuming the old guys all get picked which is likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No chance of that. Not bottoming out is our primary goal as an organisation.

We will be one of the older teams assuming the old guys all get picked which is likely.
What old guys are you talking about? Gee you’re cynical, even though the club on and off field has been gutted.

What about Nicks screams ‘boys club’ to you? What older player is keeping Doedee out? What older player is keeping Stengle out? Fogarty or Frampton out? Gibbs will still play a bit I think and hopefully can rejuvenate his career. Can’t see Mackay getting selected without Campo.

What old guys are you talking about? Gee you’re cynical, even though the club on and off field has been gutted.

What about Nicks screams ‘boys club’ to you? What older player is keeping Doedee out? What older player is keeping Stengle out? Fogarty or Frampton out? Gibbs will still play a bit I think and hopefully can rejuvenate his career. Can’t see Mackay getting selected without Campo.
Nothing specific about Nicks, more about the AFC culture overall

Our average age will be about 26 unless at least a couple of Gibbs Lynch Mackay are in the SANFL. One of the older teams in the league.

If we leave a couple of those established players in the SANFL, which I think is unlikely, then our average age plummets to be about what it was in 2017.

We are not rebuilding! Nicks will be coaching to play finals.

Our average age will be about 26 unless at least a couple of Gibbs Lynch Mackay are in the SANFL. One of the older teams in the league.

If we leave a couple of those established players in the SANFL, which I think is unlikely, then our average age plummets to be about what it was in 2017.

are right about Nicks coaching to make 8. I would hand in my membership otherwise. You don’t purposely coach to bottom out, that is called tanking and is against the spirit of the game. However you can still coach to make 8 and blood kids. Sure You may not make the 8, but you still have to have that as one of your main goals.

so I will be happy:
Give kids more opportunities
Play a competitive game style.
Not lose by over 100
I will be elated:
We make the 8

are right about Nicks coaching to make 8. I would hand in my membership otherwise. You don’t purposely coach to bottom out, that is called tanking and is against the spirit of the game. However you can still coach to make 8 and blood kids. Sure You may not make the 8, but you still have to have that as one of your main goals.

so I will be happy:
Give kids more opportunities
Play a competitive game style.
Not lose by over 100
I will be elated:
We make the 8
You will get most of that, but perhaps not as many opportunities for kids as you might like. (Unless we get many injuries.)

I was initially responding to someone who was expressing delight that we are in the process of playing heaps of kids and maybe falling down the ladder to do so. Which I don’t think is the plan at all.

And for the next 2-3 years I agree. We should have a crack while Sloane Tex Talia are still on the park.

For me the real failure of the previous coaching team was just how indecisive they were on player positions. And I think a lot had to do with trying to give games to too many older blokes, and forcing higher ceiling players to the wasteland of the AFL Half Forward Flank (Milera, Smith, Jones, Gooch, Poholke, Knight).

This year the most crucial starting point is to ensure the playing group have clear roles in the team. No more playing guys out of position. For me the priority goes!

1) DFOG: You are a Power Forward, not a KPD, not a midfielder. 100% forward
2) Brodie Smith: Full time midfielder. Sure he can go back in a pinch, but going forward its no longer his role!
3) Wayne Milera: You now own Brodie Smiths HBF role. Go and win a AA jumper playing it like you probably should have done last year!
4) Ned, Jones, Gooch, Poholke: Don't aim for the purgatory of the AFL HFF, you were recruited to be midfielders. You will play if you win a spot in the best 22 if you are a best 22 midfielder!
5) Knight: Lock down mid. Play the role you are best suited too and should have been playing every game for the last 2 years!

There are 6 x 1st rounders in that group, and none of them have clear positions in our team yet. To me that is a player management disaster! We fix that day 1, and we are already 2 steps in front of last season IMO

Last edited:
Interestingly with the main board 2020 ladder position thread, most posters have Crows finishing bottom 2 or even below GC. I'm not sure that will happen.

Interestingly with the main board 2020 ladder position thread, most posters have Crows finishing bottom 2 or even below GC. I'm not sure that will happen.
Of course they are. It would be the same level of analysis as the tools on Trade Radio.

OMG Jacobs and Betts have gone - Bottom 4!
Wait, and CEY - Bottom 3!!
and Greenwood - Bottom 2!!!
and Keath - how will they even win a game??

Of course they ignore the fact that Keath aside, none of them have exactly dominated over the past 2 years...

Someone posted a stat earlier that we will be the 3rd youngest team next year, where is your average age coming from?

Of course they are. It would be the same level of analysis as the tools on Trade Radio.

OMG Jacobs and Betts have gone - Bottom 4!
Wait, and CEY - Bottom 3!!
and Greenwood - Bottom 2!!!
and Keath - how will they even win a game??

Of course they ignore the fact that Keath aside, none of them have exactly dominated over the past 2 years...
Most supporters from other clubs hate the Crows (Richmond, Carlton and Port are the worst for obvious reasons), any chance to take a potshot at the club and they will take it.

Mainly because they have no idea about the SANFL, and the standard played at that level, So they do not see our youth all they see are the ones who play AFL,

Gutted? We have made minimal changes so far. The people behind all these poor decisions or the people that hired them are still around. I won't be enthused until Chapman is gone and we get a refresh on the board.

Gutted? We have made minimal changes so far. The people behind all these poor decisions or the people that hired them are still around. I won't be enthused until Chapman is gone and we get a refresh on the board.
Lol - one comment is how everyone externally feels we'll come last, because of the exodus of experienced players. The next is we've made minimal changes. Hilarious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back