Good players who never went home and played interstate for their entire careers

Remove this Banner Ad

Every player from Tasmania, ever.

True, and while I know you said it to be snarky about there not being a Tas team, it does highlight how lame an excuse 'homesickness' is.

I don't know the numbers, but between Tas, NT & country areas there would be a fair percentage of players without a 'home' team, but they seem to cope OK.

Andrew Gaff, Luke Shuey, Shannon Hurn, Michael Braun, David Wirrpanda.

While they're not all "good", around half our current list are from outside WA. Pretty common for players to be drafted by WC and never return to Vic/SA at all. Your 20s are pretty formative years. If you are a Shannon Hurn who is drafted at 18 years old to Perth and are still here at 32 it's not the same pull home as there would be when you are 21. He may well go back to SA when he finishes up playing footy in a year or two, but he's a married man with a kid and I imagine reasonably settled. No idea where his wife is originally from but there's a good chance it's Perth. Xavier Ellis only played a couple of seasons here at the end of his career and despite retiring during the 2016 season is still here.

Geelong had a few long termers in their 2000s/2010s sides. Enright, Mackie, Corey, Hawkins if he counts, Taylor, Duncan, Ottens etc. all from outside Victoria.

True, and while I know you said it to be snarky about there not being a Tas team, it does highlight how lame an excuse 'homesickness' is.

I don't know the numbers, but between Tas, NT & country areas there would be a fair percentage of players without a 'home' team, but they seem to cope OK.

Although that is something I'd do, I was actually pointing out the same thing you were. Homesickness is really just a way for players to guilt their clubs into breaking their contracts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who was the first (in recent times) to claim homesickness? Statrted the ball rolling whoever it was
Well, I'd look at the formation of West Coast and Adelaide to start...

I think there's a difference between homesickness as an "I can't stand this", and simply having a preference for obvious reasons.

Different circumstances and a different time I guess, but Mark Bairstow went from South Freo to Geelong and finished up there. Brian Taylor never actually played senior footy in his home state, playing his entire career in Victoria.
These possibly don't count though.
A good thing Bairstow didn't otherwise we may have missed out on seeing him get toweled up in GF's.
Brian Taylor doesn't count as a West Aussie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back