2019 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to say, that shocking Future feature ahead of the new Twigs album is really disappointing. Cellophane is an incredible single, and the new one is quite gorgeous too, but sheesh Holy Terrain is average. Hope the album is mostly made up of ambient pop tracks.

Finally saw Tropical * Storm on Saturday - they really do put on a captivating show. Pinch Points, who also put on a quality live show, as support act was the icing on the cake, and the opening act All The Weathers were also pretty impressive. TFS' new record isn't quite on the same level as A Laughing Death in Meatspace, but it's still a fantastic album. They are probably the best band in the country right now for mine.

I'm shocked by how hard I've fallen for the new Wilco. It really snuck up on me, from a once favourite I had started to write off going forward. Can't stop listening to Ode to Joy.

The new Bad Seeds is outstandingly beautiful. Hollywood especially.

The new Green Day songs are really confusing. Seem like they're actively trolling their fans.

It's like they're Eagles of Death Metal now?

I remember Fazerdaze was pretty popular around here a couple of years ago. I was never huge on her, but fans might enjoy this track she appears on:

The album itself is pretty forgettable. That's a quality track though, and this one is a real ear-worm:

Really interesting new project. Views the destruction of the natural world and our ecosystems through an electronic/trip-hop/field recordings lens. One of the better electronic releases I've heard this year.

So, what's everyone's favourite releases of the year? Feel like I've kept up pretty well this year, but I'm sure some interesting projects have inevitably fallen by the wayside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, what's everyone's favourite releases of the year? Feel like I've kept up pretty well this year, but I'm sure some interesting projects have inevitably fallen by the wayside.
It’s been a big year for big bands but not all of them resonated. I enjoyed the National’s new album and Vampire Weekend. Alex Cameron’s album was a beauty. Plenty of others I’ve enjoyed along the way without being standouts.

It’s been a big year for big bands but not all of them resonated. I enjoyed the National’s new album and Vampire Weekend. Alex Cameron’s album was a beauty. Plenty of others I’ve enjoyed along the way without being standouts.
Agreed re Alex Cameron. It was a needed progression of the character IMO as much as I love his first two albums. Quite interested to see what he does next. Patiently waiting for a national tour.

You had a chance to check out the debut LP from his keyboardist and backing vocalist Holiday Sidewinder? I thought that was really solid too.

Agreed re Alex Cameron. It was a needed progression of the character IMO as much as I love his first two albums. Quite interested to see what he does next. Patiently waiting for a national tour.

You had a chance to check out the debut LP from his keyboardist and backing vocalist Holiday Sidewinder? I thought that was really solid too.
I haven’t but I will. I saw her when Cameron supported the Killers, they were great together (that’s when I got into him).

Looking through what I downloaded this year, enjoyed both Foals albums, Catfish and the Bottlemen, closer to home, Ruby Fields, Holy Holy, Hatchie, Meg MAC, Methyl Ethel, G Flip. All good but with few genuine great albums. Cameron and Methyl probably the picks of the bunch.

I think after a few albums of solid but not spectacular music, The National have finally jumped the shark.

I find it more interesting revisiting Boxer and Alligator and High Violet and finding little things I’ve overlooked and getting hooked on different songs. Think lyrically Matt was at his peak in Boxer, and the band was making their most interesting music during the Alligator era.

I think after a few albums of solid but not spectacular music, The National have finally jumped the shark.

I find it more interesting revisiting Boxer and Alligator and High Violet and finding little things I’ve overlooked and getting hooked on different songs. Think lyrically Matt was at his peak in Boxer, and the band was making their most interesting music during the Alligator era.

Amen to that, you've summed up my thoughts better than I could. The 3 albums you've mentioned were all seminal albums to me. Their last 2 albums have been really boring disappointments trading on an existing fanbase and resisting any evolution.

I have six standouts from 2019 personally:

1. Ode to Joy - Wilco (didn't expect to adore this, had completely written them off)
2. Keepsake - Hatchie
3. Dedicated - CRJ
4. Warp Tapes 89-93 - Autechre
5. AE_Live (2015 NA x 19) - Autechre
6. Charli - Charli XCX

About 30 other albums I found addictive/swell and listened to repeatedly, but these 6 stood out as my year-to-year keepers.

Trouble Will Find Me is still pretty great. The last two I can give or take.

Alligator, Boxer, High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me is a pretty amazing run. Sleep Well Beast is more miss than hit, but at least they are trying something a bit different with the new album. The addition of female vocalists thought gives it a new dynamic. No standout tracks like the earlier albums but still pretty solid, for mine.

Did anyone listen to Ned Collette's brilliant 'Old Chestnut' last year, or 'Afternoon-Dusk' this year, which is meant to accompany the former? Both are seriously good. In my eyes, 'Old Chestnut' affirmed his as one of Australia's greatest singer-songwriters, which is ironic, because he said of his new record that he had only ever intended his sojourn into songwriting to be a short one. A decade and a half later and he finally puts out an ambient/drone/field recordings album, and even then, its main purpose is to expand on some of the instrumental passages and ideas on his last album. As much as I love his previous albums, if the new record signals a permanent step in that direction, I'm still super interested to see where he goes next.

I've been listening to this a lot on bandcamp - which I hope to finally getting around to purchasing in the new year when cash flow problems ease. Entire LP currently up on youtube. Others might know more about this (I think, Melbourne) duo and the other ,perhaps better known, bands they've been in.

One of my 2019 favourites for sure.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back