Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

You wrote some fan fiction about what Sydney had said to Daniher and Essendon then claimed that it meant that Harley was incompetent. I pointed out that you'd just made stuff up and you claimed it as statement of fact.
It's how it appears from the outside. Who knows exactly what happened but Harley has certainly not come out of it looking good.

And a player. Again, that's pretty important. Why did you leave it out of your first post?
Why do you keep saying 'players' when there was only 1 that was offered.

My original post was pointing out how useless it was to keep offering up picks when Sydney was told very early on that Essendon wasn't interested in them. It has only ever been you that (falsely) accused me of 'making things up' because you thought I said ONLY picks were offered.

You wrote some fan fiction about what Sydney had said to Daniher and Essendon then claimed that it meant that Harley was incompetent. I pointed out that you'd just made stuff up and you claimed it as statement of fact.
Like where you made stuff up? like 'players were offered' or where you incorrectly quote me as saying 'only picks were offered'.

Which is fine. I don’t get why there is animosity between the two sets of supporters. Clubs set the price on contracted players. Jack Martin wanted to come to Essendon last year GC flat out said no. Lachie Weller cost GC pick 2 while he was contracted which was massive overs.

Obviously not trading Daniher could backfire for Essendon but neither side acted in bad faith imo.
Yeah well, that is a more reasoned way of looking at it.

dude...

you need to find a way to get those rose coloured glasses removed
You think Heeney is in the same class as Joe?

He averages 20 touches and has never kicked 30 goals in a season, Bellchambers has kicked as many goals as him in his best season.

Heeney has never once completed an elite season and goes missing for large chunks.

He is nowhere near Joe Daniher, It's unquestionable.

He averages 20 touches and has never kicked 30 goals in a season, Bellchambers has kicked as many goals as him in his best season.

Heeney has never once completed an elite season and goes missing for large chunks.

I’m actually astounded. You have no idea LOL.

I’m actually astounded. You have no idea LOL.
His highest finish in their BnF is 4th lol, you think he is on Joes level :tearsofjoy:

Come on man stop being ridiculous, has he ever been considered for the AA 40? I can't remember if he has.

Heeney is a fantatic player but he has a long way to go before he reaches top tier, he's had elite games but never close to an elite season.

His highest finish in their BnF is 4th lol, you think he is on Joes level :tearsofjoy:

Come on man stop being ridiculous, has he ever been considered for the AA 40? I can't remember if he has.

Heeney is a fantatic player but he has a long way to go before he reaches top tier, he's had elite games but never close to an elite season.

I’ve never encountered such a biased view of Joe Daniher. Joe has had 1 good season. You picture him like he’s won a flag off his own boot already.

Stop dealing in potential. It’s sad.

I’ve never encountered such a biased view of Joe Daniher. Joe has had 1 good season. You picture him like he’s won a flag off his own boot already.

Stop dealing in potential. It’s sad.
1 good season? He's improved every year he played until his injury, his 2016 season in a basketcase team was amazing for a 22 year old KPF but that's not the point...

Heeney hasn't even had "1 good season"

Potential is what Heeney is, Joe has proven himself I'm not sure why you think he hasn't, he performed in the 2014 elim final like he did in the 2017 elim final he did again on Anzac day after a very poor pre season while managing his OP issues.

What else does he need to do for you to take him seriously?

Potential tag on Joe? Nah.

1 good season? He's improved every year he played until his injury, his 2016 season in a basketcase team was amazing for a 22 year old KPF but that's not the point...

Heeney hasn't even had "1 good season"

Potential is what Heeney is, Joe has proven himself I'm not sure why you think he hasn't, he performed in the 2014 elim final like he did in the 2017 elim final he did again on Anzac day after a very poor pre season while managing his OP issues.

What else does he need to do for you to take him seriously?

Potential tag on Joe? Nah.

It’s not joe I struggle to take seriously.

If someone says to me that Heeney hasn’t had 1 good season, I can’t take them seriously.

Heeney is better than you think and joe is not as good as you think.

If Sydney offered Heeney in a direct swap for Daniher, Sydney would be morons. This would never happen.

I know everyone sees through fan-shaded glasses, but seriously that is moronic.

Not simple as that because Dodoro kept conversations going until almost the final hour.

If it was just "we're keeping him no matter what. Piss off and stop calling us." then fine.

Did Dodoro actually think he was going to get more than picks 5&9? Is he that thick?

I think Dodoro got confused (or the PR team is conflating) two positions:
1. We never wanted to let Joe go to Sydney = mission accomplished.
2. We want a good deal for Daniher = mission failed.

If it's the first position then discussions should have been shut down on day 1.
If it's the second option then a deal should have been worked out. (pick 9 + next year's first is a good deal)

I think Dodoro failed at the second position and now it's being painted as though it was the first position. If the aim was to keep Daniher at Essendon then I don't get why the discussions lasted 10 days, and right into the very last period of the trade period.

The whole "he's more valuable to us than what Sydney are offering" is also crap.
At Essendon he's perennially injured and not worth much. (Unless they can somehow turn around the trend of the last two years).
At a different environment that can get him fit he's worth a lot.

Essendon were pushing for the value of Daniher in a different environment whilst claiming it was because of his value in the current environment.

I don't know if this has been part of a deliberate attempt to confuse the issues and perspectives and save face - or whether the Essendon perspective is confused and they don't realise they're talking in a twist.
I think there might be a third option, in that Dodoro was never going to let him go. Either the club thinks they are in a flag window, or believe the fans think they are in a flag window, and Joe could be the difference in 2020 (which may well be true, we'll see). So Dodoro set an unreasonable price, and may even have shifted the goalposts if Sydney had said yes. But he let negotiations go on so that they could say to Joe "We tried, just couldn't get it done".

The request for players was also a bit odd. Surely convincing players to go to Essendon is Dodoro's job, not Sydney's? If Sydney didn't have a player willing to go, Dodoro should have had a number of targets at other clubs, and we could have tried some 3-way deal. I imagine every list manager has a list of possible targets for every position, just in case they lose a player unexpectedly. Yet Dodoro seemed to just demand Sydney find him a player to replace Joe (publicly at least, there may have been more going on behind the scenes, i admit). The ones we offered that were willing (Papley and Jones) were rejected. How Sydney are expected to approach a player from another club and ask if they want to go to Essendon is beyond me. Again, this just seemed like a deliberate ploy to make sure the trade could never happen.

The whole trade was unusual. First Joe and his management said he wanted to get out of the Melbourne bubble, but it wasn't an issue with Essendon. Yet Dododo came out with "We think we can get him to fall back in love with Essendon", suggesting it wasn't the Melbourne bubble, but something Essendon-specific that had caused his request for a move.

Then Dodoro said Joe had only been in negotiation for a 1-year extension before he pulled the pin. Surely if Joe was so important to the club, they would have offered a multi-year deal? Sure there is uncertainty about his groin, but the contract could have had a set number of games per year as an automatic trigger to extend.

It's all very weird. Wait and see what happens i guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not joe I struggle to take seriously.

If someone says to me that Heeney hasn’t had 1 good season, I can’t take them seriously.

Heeney is better than you think and joe is not as good as you think.

I know Heeney is good, i also know he hasn't performed at a level Joe has, awards and accolades show it.

If Sydney offered Heeney in a direct swap for Daniher, Sydney would be morons. This would never happen.

I know everyone sees through fan-shaded glasses, but seriously that is moronic.
I would take that deal right now!
I think there might be a third option, in that Dodoro was never going to let him go. Either the club thinks they are in a flag window, or believe the fans think they are in a flag window, and Joe could be the difference in 2020 (which may well be true, we'll see). So Dodoro set an unreasonable price, and may even have shifted the goalposts if Sydney had said yes. But he let negotiations go on so that they could say to Joe "We tried, just couldn't get it done".
It was Dodoro's intention to keep Daniher, unless he received a deal that was very good (knock his socks off). As players were requested, Sydney's offers really made it easy for Dodoro to keep him. I think both clubs looked like they were 'exploring options' but nothing came of it. IMO the reasoning behind it is we have no backups for Joe - it's quite a gamble, but at least it gives another year to find someone else.

and... Yes Dodoro thinks we are in a flag window. I do not.

It was Dodoro's intention to keep Daniher, unless he received a deal that was very good (knock his socks off). As players were requested, Sydney's offers really made it easy for Dodoro to keep him. I think both clubs looked like they were 'exploring options' but nothing came of it. IMO the reasoning behind it is we have no backups for Joe - it's quite a gamble, but at least it gives another year to find someone else.

But that is a problem surely. You’d hope you can bag a flag or a key forward in 12 months otherwise what a silly decision

But that is a problem surely. You’d hope you can bag a flag or a key forward in 12 months otherwise what a silly decision
Hurley and Hooker are aging quickly. It basically puts all the eggs into the Joe basket and hope for the best in 2020. Also explains why draft picks aren't of use, because we can't extract a KP forward with them.

So Heeney has reached the levels Joe has?

Which season?
Shane Woewodin and Adam Cooney won Brownlows. Leigh Matthews never won a Brownlow. Woewodin and Cooney must be better players.

Your argument is ******* dumb.

But even the players that were named didn't make sense. Heeney is nothing like Joe Daniher. Neither is Parker. Neither is Blakey. They are all good in their own way, but none are a "replacement" for Joe, which is what Dodoro kept going on about. "Can't find a KPF replacement in this draft" etc... Yet he didn't ask for a KPF from us, he asked for a mid/forward, a mid, and a wing/half-forward. It made no sense at all.

And then he ignored the ones that realistically were on the market, Patton, Jenkins, even Casboult... ok, none are great players, but would at least have been a KPF.

I don't honestly think he wanted a player. I think it was just another impossible hurdle to make sure the trade wouldn't happen.

But even the players that were named didn't make sense. Heeney is nothing like Joe Daniher. Neither is Parker. Neither is Blakey. They are all good in their own way, but none are a "replacement" for Joe, which is what Dodoro kept going on about. "Can't find a KPF replacement in this draft" etc... Yet he didn't ask for a KPF from us, he asked for a mid/forward, a mid, and a wing/half-forward. It made no sense at all.

And then he ignored the ones that realistically were on the market, Patton, Jenkins, even Casboult... ok, none are great players, but would at least have been a KPF.

I don't honestly think he wanted a player. I think it was just another impossible hurdle to make sure the trade wouldn't happen.
I think you mean KPF, but your point stands. I think this was an ambit claim to open things up asking for Heaney. It is interesting.

edit: I missed the KPD ninja edit.

Why then not just come out and say 'no'. As he would be entitled to do. Being seen by Joe to be trying to get a trade done? Getting his mug on trade radio for the finale? Rustling some feathers in Sydney by getting them to ask some of their players to leave?
Yeah, I don't know.

Why then not just come out and say 'no'. As he would be entitled to do. Being seen by Joe to be trying to get a trade done? Getting his mug on trade radio for the finale? Rustling some feathers in Sydney by getting them to ask some of their players to leave?
Yeah, I don't know.
Yeah, i don't get it either. But Dodoro's opening statement was they were going to keep him, and the "Mission accomplished" message kind of backs that up.

We can only ever speculate (wildly). We just don't, and will never, know the details.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back