Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that there was a significant likelihood of him being omitted, but Davey Warner just tonned up in the Sheffield Shield, so you can lock that opening spot in for the home Test series.

Not that there was a significant likelihood of him being omitted, but Davey Warner just tonned up in the Sheffield Shield, so you can lock that opening spot in for the home Test series.
He's still probably our best opener in Australian conditions. Much like our bowling attack for England we should be picking more for conditions. This notion of needing a 'team' is crap in cricket. It's the most individual team sport around

He's still probably our best opener in Australian conditions. Much like our bowling attack for England we should be picking more for conditions. This notion of needing a 'team' is crap in cricket. It's the most individual team sport around

You're right, cricket is the most individual of team sports. Someone being selfish 99 times out of 100 is perfectly fine. Problem with chopping and changing the team is the effect it has on the players. Some players react positively to the pressure to perform and hold their spot in the side, but when your match can be over if you make one tiny mistake, its better to give most players some security and let them play without the impending chop hanging over their heads.

I guess at the moment the options to open the batting are, what, Maddinson? Maybe he's matured and improved his game since he went down to VIC, but he's someone who should have to put a lot of runs under his belt before getting another chance at international level.

You're right, cricket is the most individual of team sports. Someone being selfish 99 times out of 100 is perfectly fine. Problem with chopping and changing the team is the effect it has on the players. Some players react positively to the pressure to perform and hold their spot in the side, but when your match can be over if you make one tiny mistake, its better to give most players some security and let them play without the impending chop hanging over their heads.

I guess at the moment the options to open the batting are, what, Maddinson? Maybe he's matured and improved his game since he went down to VIC, but he's someone who should have to put a lot of runs under his belt before getting another chance at international level.
I'm not necessarily talking within a series though, just because Warner gets picked for the home series doesn't mean he's a lock for the away series etc.

Lawl. Marsh doing his best to make himself unavailable so we can continue the tradition of yoyo-ing Marsh's in and out of the side.

Also, Tim Paine tonned up. We can look forward to another few years of him behind the steering wheel for the Australian team.

Mitch Marsh, out for six weeks, disappointed on missing out on the journey for the next 426 weeks... bastard is trolling us.

"It's pretty uncharacteristic of me to want to punch a wall. I'm a pretty easy-going sort of bloke," he said. "I'm just disappointed really, gutted. The feeling of letting your team-mates down and not being able to be a part of the journey for the next four to six weeks, that was the point I wanted to stress to the lads, that I was really sorry and it's not an example I wanted to be setting. They got around me. They still love me, so it's all good."

Hadn't paid too much attention to this, but have had a bit of a read this morning. So instead of playing 20/20 matches at 120 balls per innings, the ECB are going to drop it to 100 balls per innings. Also, apparently cricket scorecards are too confusing and they want to reduce the information to the score, opponent's score and number of balls left.

100-ball cricket is a form of limited overs cricket, played by two teams each playing a single innings made up of 100 balls.[8]

The format of the game is:

• 100 balls per innings[9]
  • A change of ends after 10 balls[9]
  • Bowlers deliver either five or 10 consecutive balls[9]
  • Each bowler can deliver a maximum of 20 balls per game[9]
  • Each bowling side gets a strategic timeout of up to two and a half minutes[9]
  • A 25-ball powerplay start for each team[9]
  • Two fielders are allowed outside of the initial 30-yard circle during the powerplay[9]
  • Teams will be able to call timeouts, as has been the case in the Indian Premier League since 2009[10]
  • A simplified scoreboard is also proposed[11]

Hadn't paid too much attention to this, but have had a bit of a read this morning. So instead of playing 20/20 matches at 120 balls per innings, the ECB are going to drop it to 100 balls per innings. Also, apparently cricket scorecards are too confusing and they want to reduce the information to the score, opponent's score and number of balls left.

100-ball cricket is a form of limited overs cricket, played by two teams each playing a single innings made up of 100 balls.[8]

The format of the game is:

• 100 balls per innings[9]
  • A change of ends after 10 balls[9]
  • Bowlers deliver either five or 10 consecutive balls[9]
  • Each bowler can deliver a maximum of 20 balls per game[9]
  • Each bowling side gets a strategic timeout of up to two and a half minutes[9]
  • A 25-ball powerplay start for each team[9]
  • Two fielders are allowed outside of the initial 30-yard circle during the powerplay[9]
  • Teams will be able to call timeouts, as has been the case in the Indian Premier League since 2009[10]
  • A simplified scoreboard is also proposed[11]
Makes AFLX seem like a good idea. I really don't see the need for breaking 20/20 down even further into this kind of mush.

Makes AFLX seem like a good idea. I really don't see the need for breaking 20/20 down even further into this kind of mush.

Shows a lot about how they view the average sports fan these days. Short attention span and too stupid to understand much more than fireworks and cheerleaders.

Shows a lot about how they view the average sports fan these days. Short attention span and too stupid to understand much more than fireworks and cheerleaders.
Yeah, or they pull out the 'It's just a bit of fun for the kids/families' as if families and children haven't been going to, and enjoying, sport matches for the entirety of their existence. 20 less balls would shave what, 10 minutes max off a 20/20 game? The remainder of the rule changes are just tiny tinkering around the edges.

If you're doing this bullshit make it properly bizarre; recycled chair legs used as bats and gaffa-taped tennis balls to bowl, bowlers coming in simultaneously from both ends, all players wear roller blades, every 6th ball is played completely blindfolded after being spun around 3 times.

Yeah, or they pull out the 'It's just a bit of fun for the kids/families' as if families and children haven't been going to, and enjoying, sport matches for the entirety of their existence. 20 less balls would shave what, 10 minutes max off a 20/20 game? The remainder of the rule changes are just tiny tinkering around the edges.

If you're doing this bullshit make it properly bizarre; recycled chair legs used as bats and gaffa-taped tennis balls to bowl, bowlers coming in simultaneously from both ends, all players wear roller blades, every 6th ball is played completely blindfolded after being spun around 3 times.

Agree, they're just s**t changes. Reducing the number of end switches by "lengthening" the overs will save a wee bit of time, and being able to bowl 5 or 10 balls straight gives a bit of tactical flexibility to the captain, but the concept is pretty much just a packaged and polished turd they're trying to sell as "innovation".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in terms of one-sided shaftings, this series between India and South Africa has been quite bountiful.

First test: India win by 203 runs.
Second test: India win by an innings and 137 runs.
Third test: South Africa 237 runs behind with 4 wickets in hand after following on.

Time to go home, I think.

So in terms of one-sided shaftings, this series between India and South Africa has been quite bountiful.

Third test: South Africa 237 runs behind with 4 wickets in hand after following on.

yep SA are doing it hard. not enough quality players in their team these days. I found the most interesting thing about the whole series was when Rabada and De Kock abused the s**t out of each other.

yep SA are doing it hard. not enough quality players in their team these days. I found the most interesting thing about the whole series was when Rabada and De Kock abused the s**t out of each other.

Wasn't aware of that, only been looking at the scores. What happened?

Wasn't aware of that, only been looking at the scores. What happened?
it was last test I think. Rabada threw a loopy wide ball back to the de Kock half arsed off his own bowling and the batsmen took a cheeky run. De Kock had a go at him at the change of ends, a few choice words then got exchanged and it ended with du Plessis pushing Rabada away as he was getting pretty fired up over the whole thing. nothing major but i had a bit of a chuckle about it. Rabada looked like he was about to snap.

it was last test I think. Rabada threw a loopy wide ball back to the de Kock half arsed off his own bowling and the batsmen took a cheeky run. De Kock had a go at him at the change of ends, a few choice words then got exchanged and it ended with du Plessis pushing Rabada away as he was getting pretty fired up over the whole thing. nothing major but i had a bit of a chuckle about it. Rabada looked like he was about to snap.

Sounds a fair cop from De Kock. Understand getting belted by an innings and plenty of change isn't enjoyable in Indian conditions, but carrying on like a clown doesn't do much for anyone. Likely not so much Rabada's fault they're getting toweled up, but even so.

Kind of like when teams were touring Australia from about 1995-2007.

Some horrific beat downs.

After two rounds of Shield not much in the way of test selection is clearer. Opening positions are still up for grabs thanks to Mitch Marsh’s pugilistic efforts with a concrete wall so is number 6. A third seam spot is also for the taking.

With the openers, Warner and Harris have scored tonnes (albeit Harris’ was on a road) that plus their Ashes incumbency probably gives them the edge. It’s disappointing that none of Bancroft, Burns, Khawaja, Renshaw and Weatherald have put their hand up. It’s terribly worrying that Shaun Marsh has scored runs at #3 for WA. I don’t see the selectors picking Maddinson or Hughes at this stage.

Labuschagne and Smith will hold their spots at 3 and 4.

I’m far from sold on Wade but there’s perhaps even less depth in middle order spots than there is in opening batsmen. Like Harris, Pucovski scored a century on a road so he could be a chance at 6, although using that logic alone means that Tom Cooper and Moises Henriques also have claims.

Starc and Jhye Richardson would be neck and neck for the third seam position. Richardson’s a better test bowler for mine but I think Starc will be picked “because X factor”.

TLDR:
Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
S Marsh
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

12th: Richardson

After two rounds of Shield not much in the way of test selection is clearer. Opening positions are still up for grabs thanks to Mitch Marsh’s pugilistic efforts with a concrete wall so is number 6. A third seam spot is also for the taking.

With the openers, Warner and Harris have scored tonnes (albeit Harris’ was on a road) that plus their Ashes incumbency probably gives them the edge. It’s disappointing that none of Bancroft, Burns, Khawaja, Renshaw and Weatherald have put their hand up. It’s terribly worrying that Shaun Marsh has scored runs at #3 for WA. I don’t see the selectors picking Maddinson or Hughes at this stage.

Labuschagne and Smith will hold their spots at 3 and 4.

I’m far from sold on Wade but there’s perhaps even less depth in middle order spots than there is in opening batsmen. Like Harris, Pucovski scored a century on a road so he could be a chance at 6, although using that logic alone means that Tom Cooper and Moises Henriques also have claims.

Starc and Jhye Richardson would be neck and neck for the third seam position. Richardson’s a better test bowler for mine but I think Starc will be picked “because X factor”.

TLDR:
Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
S Marsh
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

12th: Richardson

Jesus I hope you're wrong. That batting lineup is nearly pensioning age.

Another quality T20 contest tonight. Shame to have missed it.

Pakis giving the Australia A side a bit of a thrashing. so much for the bat off for test spots, they all failed.
both openers clean bowled, Head out yet again cutting the ball in the air, Khawaja out against spin. Bancroft at 6 the only one to dig in, and he was probably in the worst form of the lot going into the match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back