Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can’t see us keeping 10 if we know Melbourne is going to bid. We’ve got around a month and probably 30 minutes on draft night (seriously how bloody long did the first round take last year) to think of something to do.

There’s three options really.
1. Move up ahead of Pick 8 (Hello GWS if they can’t move up the order).
2. Move down and move Pick 22 up into the teens (Hello Geelong).
3. Trade it out then trade back into the first round post bid. (Hello Hawthorn, Port, Bulldogs, Geelong).

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think that Melb will bid on Henry at 8, we will match with 10. Hopefully we can get Stephens at 7 first
His results are stunning, can see why posters have been talking him up. 40 possessions in the SANFL reserves,
Goals, league games, we missed on Rozee, two in a row would end up biting us in the *ss.

Shouldn't he go pick one then?
There hasn't been a non-TAC Cup #1 draft pick since 2010, there hasn't been a SANFL #1 since 2006.

If we go all the way back to 2003, 17 drafts, we get our third non-Vic #1

Victoria don't produce 82% of all players, it's more like 60%. That 20% window is where we get discount for difficulty building a reputation outside of Victoria.

Look at it as a win for us. The Western Australian taken #1 had to have such an amazing pre draft year that he came 4th in the VFL best and fairest prior to being confirmed as the #1 pick.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Can’t see us keeping 10 if we know Melbourne is going to bid. We’ve got around a month and probably 30 minutes on draft night (seriously how bloody long did the first round take last year) to think of something to do.

There’s three options really.
1. Move up ahead of Pick 8 (Hello GWS if they can’t move up the order).
2. Move down and move Pick 22 up into the teens (Hello Geelong).
3. Trade it out then trade back into the first round post bid. (Hello Hawthorn, Port, Bulldogs, Geelong).
Messy. Just keep our picks. Also doubt Melbourne bid.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
There hasn't been a non-TAC Cup #1 draft pick since 2010, there hasn't been a SANFL #1 since 2006.

Victoria don't produce 82% of all players, it's more like 60%. That 20% window is where we get discount for difficulty building a reputation outside of Victoria.

Look at it as a win for us. The Western Australian taken #1 had to have such an amazing pre draft year that he came 4th in the VFL best and fairest prior to being confirmed as the #1 pick.
Interesting. Mind you, Hogan, Martin and O'Meara were removed from those drafts as the best at the time.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS

Who was the west Aussie taken at 1? Coniglio?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

Absolutely.

WA are underrated.

It’s amazing that the Brownlow was dominated by non Vic Metro players.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
David Swallow.

Coniglio couldn't get #1 even with the under age performances with Swan Districts. They still went with the big bodied Victorian key forward with #1.
Coniglio played one of the best quarters of footy I've seen in a Grand Final, as a 16 year old.
Such a shame he missed out on the big stage last year. He's born to it.

Deeluded

Rookie
Oct 31, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi there, I’m a dees supporter but was intrigued as to what you might do in the following situation (given we badly need a small forward I think we’ll do some trading of picks - so was trying to work out what we might do. It’s tough understanding how all the points work!):

We have pick 3 and 8. GWS badly want pick 3 so they don’t have to deal with Sydney bidding on Greene. So we swap pick 3 and 6 and get at least next years first rounder from them as well (in what ppl say will be a compromised draft with father sons and academy players).

We wouldn’t use 3 on Henry... but he is supposedly the best small forward in the draft so 6 is a possibility... and to be honest I’d be wrapped if we could get him.

So knowing that, would you trade 7 and 10 for our pick 6 (originally gws) plus next years first rounder (or whatever we can get from them). Then you pick who you want at 6, don’t have to take Henry till your pick in the 20s and have gws 1st pick in 2020.

I imagine not... but I think if we bid on him at 6, then you would have to take him at 7 so your other pick (10) is later and you don’t get the 1st rounder for 2020. I reckon you will be able to correct me if I’m wrong on the points. I guess it depends on how highly you rate Henry as well - I think he could be an absolute gun!

Don’t think it’s going to happen but we seem to be cooking up something if we want a small forward - we’ve been linked to weightman who isn’t rated as highly as Henry and is meant to be rated 12-25.

Anyway, best of luck with the draft - it sounds like it’s fairly even after the top 2 so we should both snare 2 good young kids. I was hoping our years of taking a keen interest in the draft we’re over for a bit as a Melbourne supporter but it is what it is!

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Hi there, I’m a dees supporter but was intrigued as to what you might do in the following situation (given we badly need a small forward I think we’ll do some trading of picks - so was trying to work out what we might do. It’s tough understanding how all the points work!):

We have pick 3 and 8. GWS badly want pick 3 so they don’t have to deal with Sydney bidding on Greene. So we swap pick 3 and 6 and get at least next years first rounder from them as well (in what ppl say will be a compromised draft with father sons and academy players).

We wouldn’t use 3 on Henry... but he is supposedly the best small forward in the draft so 6 is a possibility... and to be honest I’d be wrapped if we could get him.

So knowing that, would you trade 7 and 10 for our pick 6 (originally gws) plus next years first rounder (or whatever we can get from them). Then you pick who you want at 6, don’t have to take Henry till your pick in the 20s and have gws 1st pick in 2020.

I imagine not... but I think if we bid on him at 6, then you would have to take him at 7 so your other pick (10) is later and you don’t get the 1st rounder for 2020. I reckon you will be able to correct me if I’m wrong on the points. I guess it depends on how highly you rate Henry as well - I think he could be an absolute gun!

Don’t think it’s going to happen but we seem to be cooking up something if we want a small forward - we’ve been linked to weightman who isn’t rated as highly as Henry and is meant to be rated 12-25.

Anyway, best of luck with the draft - it sounds like it’s fairly even after the top 2 so we should both snare 2 good young kids. I was hoping our years of taking a keen interest in the draft we’re over for a bit as a Melbourne supporter but it is what it is!

You are wrong about how the points system works. In your hypothetical, if you bid at 6, pick 7 will be chewed up but we’ll keep 10 and have no influence on our future first. There is a discount for selecting an academy player.

I can’t see GWS trading a future 1st and 6 for pick 3.

He’s not the best small forward, Serong and Flanders have him covered, both potentially play midfield too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
You are wrong about how the points system works. In your hypothetical, if you bid at 6, pick 7 will be chewed up but we’ll keep 10 and have no influence on our future first. There is a discount for selecting an academy player.

I can’t see GWS trading a future 1st and 6 for pick 3.

He’s not the best small forward, Serong and Flanders have him covered, both potentially play midfield too.
NGA aside, Flanders and Serong could be better small forward options for us or we take Stephens. I don't see Melbourne trying to play us to force an early bid. Might bight them.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Henry is a versatile mid/fwd. He played most of u18s at half forward (Sharp and Clarke played as the wingers mostly from memory but he'd probably have lined up thee some times as well). In the passage of play where WA scored the goal that won them the u18 champs he lined up in the middle. He's an impact player (hence why he is compared to Walters a lot) - you put him where you think he will impact the most. I see us playing him at half forward as well - his speed and kicking would add plenty to our forward line. He'd need to build his endurance to be able to play wing. And he'd need to build his body before being thrown in the middle. In time I think he'll spend some time in the midfield but for the moment he'd play as a half forward imo.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

Come on Taylor that's silly. 6 of the last 13 number #2 picks are from outside the TAC comp. That's less Victorian players than you would expect (54%): Does this prove recruiters are biased against the TAC comp? Of course not. It just means picking out stats in isolation to support a contention is easy.

If you think the recruiters are biased in favour of Victorian teams by more than can explained than the 10 Melbourne teams picking local as tie-breaker then prove it with proper analysis not cherry picking.

Anyway my point was not he should literally be pick one, but that if Stephens is so obviously a jet how could 6 other sets of professional recruiters, which include 3 non Victorian ones, one of which is South Australian based, hypothetically overlook him and yet it be a massive mistake for us to do the same?

Last edited:
Does this prove recruiters are biased against the TAC comp?
I think it is demonstrating the pressure a #1 draft pick has along with it to not be stuffed up, with the picks reflecting that.

Clubs need to get return on their high picks, that's why I think Adelaide will take Stephens before the previous pick has finished walking up to the podium.

Coniglio played one of the best quarters of footy I've seen in a Grand Final, as a 16 year old.
Such a shame he missed out on the big stage last year. He's born to it.

Best game of footy Ive ever seen.

That game had everything.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club

Just downgrade pick 8 a bit and take Cody Weightman as your small forward option. That is my no agenda ;-). advice to you.
Thou shalt not covet your neighbours goods.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Messy. Just keep our picks. Also doubt Melbourne bid.
Not messy at all.
Although I don’t expect the pick park to happen or be approved by AFL so I won’t address that.

We will have a very good idea closer to the draft whether Liam Henry will be bid on with 8 or 9. Why sit on our laurels and go whatevs just accept the bid with 10.

I will be very disappointed in Freo if that is the case.

1. Try to move up to position 5,6 or 8.
2. If there are no sellers then move to Geelong who are reportedly keen to move forward. The swap of 10+22 > 14+17 works out very evenly and should satisfy both clubs. We get to match 8/9/10 bid with pick 14/15 and then get a third first round pick about spots higher than our current third pick which will drop to at least 25 by the time we get to use it. Why not move it up to 18/19???

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some have suggested that we received slightly unders for Ed Langdon given Melbourne's 2020 round 2 pick is somewhat of an unknown commodity at this time. We also gave them back pick 26 as part of the trade.

Maybe part of the reason for that is we have an agreement with Melbourne that they won't bid on Henry if they are in a position to do so?

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
If the AFLW is anything to go by, we will only select local talent this year. All 5 picks, WA girls

Isn't the AFLW drafting overseen by Cooper and state-based regardless? I don't see WA talent of Roxy's calibre sliding for the mens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back