The Law One rule for them, another rule for the rest of us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Any of our resident Xavier old boys know this Sam and Dominic Walker pair? Seem like messed up freaks to me.

All the privilege in the world and they both end up as violent druggies.

What do you reckon happened in their family home to make them like that? What sort of parents did they have to end up such a pair of dodgy losers?

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Any of our resident Xavier old boys know this Sam and Dominic Walker pair? Seem like messed up freaks to me.

What do you reckon happened in their family home to make them like that? What sort of parents did they have to end up such a pair of dodgy losers?

My guess is their parents were focused on other things, like money and the pursuit of it.

I'm suspicious on whether the drug addiction stories and mental illness diagnosis are legit or not. Such factors shouldn't warrant a reduced sentence. They're not the victims in this case.
Pretty sure you can bring up just about anything as a mitigating factor. e.g. If you are in court 18 months after an assault conviction and you've started drug rehab you'd get a different result than if you showed up to court stoned and tried to say you're sorry and you plan to get help for your addiction.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Pretty sure you can bring up just about anything as a mitigating factor. e.g. If you are in court 18 months after an assault conviction and you've started drug rehab you'd get a different result than if you showed up to court stoned and tried to say you're sorry and you plan to get help for your addiction.

The defence has gone the works.

Told the court that their clients were all battling serious mental health conditions alongside drug and alcohol issues which had worsened after they finished at Kew's elite Xavier College. Both Walker brothers now attend alcoholics and narcotics anonymous. Dominic Walker now works for a crowd funding company and abstains from alcohol while his younger brother lays synthetic grass after a two-month stint in inpatient treatment and a bipolar diagnosis.

It's worth reminding ourselves of what they did.

The court heard that shortly before midnight Dominic Walker was seen on CCTV cameras at the ground stumbling and appearing intoxicated before the trio left on foot, walking towards Jolimont station and Wellington Parade.​
As they left they became involved in a argument with David Raeside and Leonard Tricarico, aged in their 60s and 40s respectively, before the Walker brothers made to leave in a taxi. Shortly after that the brothers spotted Mr Raeside and Mr Tricarico near Mr Fitt and went to intervene.​
Crown prosecutor Craig McConaghy said what followed was a ‘‘most vicious attack’’. While Saw Walker was entangled with one victim, his older brother kicked the other to the head before dragging him along the ground and hitting his head onto the road 15 times.​
Dominic Walker then yelled ‘‘I’m going to f---ing kill you, you’re going to be dead’’ before stomping on the man’s head three times, leaving him unconscious on the road with bleeding on the brain and a string of facial fractures.​
The other victim was heard yelling ‘‘my arm is broken just leave me alone’’ during the 45-second assaults.​
Most of Dominic Walker’s blows occurred when the victim was defenceless and being held. This was a most vicious attack that left the victim in an unconscious state.​

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can see the logic with noting when people show remorse, both with words and with actions. But it's also an easy system to game. I'm even cynical about the one perp who just started a job laying turf, per the article. Seems like an attempt to give off a "blue collar working class" image, as opposed to a privileged rich boy image. I could be totally wrong though.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any legal types on here able to explain?

"Magistrates can impose maximum jail terms of two years on a single charge, or five years on multiple charges"

For facial fractures and bleeding on the brain?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The defence has gone the works.

Told the court that their clients were all battling serious mental health conditions alongside drug and alcohol issues which had worsened after they finished at Kew's elite Xavier College. Both Walker brothers now attend alcoholics and narcotics anonymous. Dominic Walker now works for a crowd funding company and abstains from alcohol while his younger brother lays synthetic grass after a two-month stint in inpatient treatment and a bipolar diagnosis.

All going to script according to the best legal advice that money can buy.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Jail terms all round.

12 months and 6 months for the brothers, 4 months for the other guy.

One of the brothers (the one who got 6 months) has appealed and been released on bail pending a hearing.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Jail terms all round.

12 months and 6 months for the brothers, 4 months for the other guy.

One of the brothers (the one who got 6 months) has appealed and been released on bail pending a hearing.

At least they’re doing some jail time, didn’t sound like they were going to do any at all. That said they should be doing more of course.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
At least they’re doing some jail time, didn’t sound like they were going to do any at all. That said they should be doing more of course.

Not necessarily. One brother spent 2½ hours locked up before his sentencing appeal was processed and he was released on bail. The other brother and the friend should be released on bail by their appeals later this week. Look out for the appeals next year to reduce their jail time sentences to the two-year community corrections orders ie a very light penalty for attacks that put two men in hospital and could have killed them.

Contra Mundum would know the father

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
High profile rich kids who will be mollycoddled by Corrections for P.R. purposes.

Straight to open camp I would expect.

You never know. It might actually work against them. PR purposes might dictate that they are not treated more leniently because community standards demand it.

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Contra Mundum would know the father

Brother, so good to hear from you. Tim (the Dad) is actually a working class kid made good - his Dad worked at the Holden factory. This bullshit must be hard for him to take because (I am sure) its his worst nightmare. Lesson for us all. Glad that they got jail time

The Walker boys were older than my two so I didn't know them through the school. Bit much to blame Xavs ten years after they left. There are a lot of silks whose kids go off the rails. You just can't think that providing for them financially and being at work all the time is enough. But that takes discipline

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Brother, so good to hear from you. Tim (the Dad) is actually a working class kid made good - his Dad worked at the Holden factory. This bullshit must be hard for him to take because (I am sure) its his worst nightmare. Lesson for us all. Glad that they got jail time

The Walker boys were older than my two so I didn't know them through the school. Bit much to blame Xavs ten years after they left. There are a lot of silks whose kids go off the rails. You just can't think that providing for them financially and being at work all the time is enough. But that takes discipline

Clearly he's the real victim here.

Back