Toast Welcome to Freo, James Aish!

Remove this Banner Ad

Great pick up if he can stay fit. Just the little player we need in the back half. He's a player that makes good decisions and seems to have a strong footy brain.

I hope we consider playing him the wing if we are seriously considering playing Acres there. Acres is too slow and big to make a successful wingman. I have nothing against Acres and think he's worth a shot but not on the wing please.

Great pick up if he can stay fit. Just the little player we need in the back half. He's a player that makes good decisions and seems to have a strong footy brain.

I hope we consider playing him the wing if we are seriously considering playing Acres there. Acres is too slow and big to make a successful wingman. I have nothing against Acres and think he's worth a shot but not on the wing please.
Dont know if that has been posted yet, but in this interview he says he wants to play on a wing where he played a year and a half ago.

I watched a fair bit of Aish over the last couple of years, and I'm pretty happy we managed to get him over. I can definitely see him moving on to a wing helping with the loss of Hill & Langdon. He was basically forced to play back because the Pies have no talls and no depth there.
now we just need to sort out his haircut

I watched a fair bit of Aish over the last couple of years, and I'm pretty happy we managed to get him over. I can definitely see him moving on to a wing helping with the loss of Hill & Langdon. He was basically forced to play back because the Pies have no talls and no depth there.
But can he fill the Langdon sized hole in your heart? 😋

If Langdon was a dog...

kate-running-toward-camera-tongue-hanging-out-1920.jpg

Maybe you just need one of these instead Allikat ?

If anyone still has any doubt about the quality of James Aish you should read his draft preview in the link below. He kicked the ball at 86.7% kicking efficiency in his draft year and was described as a natural wingman who plays a bit like Lachie Whitfield.
Early days. But predicting this will go down as one of the best decisions in freo history. (to trade for Aish)

I'm still gutted and will take me a while to adjust, but I wish him all the best. He deserves it. Such a hard worker. You'll all love him.
If it was anywhere, I'm glad it's freo. I always liked you guys. Maybe it's the colour purple being my favourite colour. But I'll be keeping an eye on him 2020 and onwards.

Treat him well. He is also very fan friendly.

Acres is far from slow. From his junior days he slimmed down a lot and runs really well. According to Saints fans he has played more of an outside mid role and half back back in recent seasons than the inside role he played early in his career. Early days, but really think JL knows exactly what he is doing. Both Aish and Acres were recruited due to a personal request from JL to Peter Bell. Bell said in his presser on the Brad Hill trade a couple of times that they recruited Acres because he a tall mid who is a fantastic athlete that can really run, so will be suited to playing at Optus Stadium. He shows good speed in a couple of the Welcome to Freo highlights if you want to take a look. Bell also said that Acres says he is really 193cm, not his listed 191cm.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was more because we have a lot of depth in midfield. Our defence also has quite a lot of depth, so for Aish to break in and hold his spot says a bit. He was our third small defender behind Crisp, Maynard and alongside Greenwood. He'll be a good pick up for you.

I think Aish will be a good pick up for Freo if you're after a small defender. He had some of the cleanest hands at Collingwood below his knees, up there with Pendlebury, seriously very rarely fumbles. That's an underrated skill in defence. He used to cop a bit for being soft but he isn't, always goes when it's his turn.

His kicking is overrated and seems to be in this thread. It's safe rather than incisive and he can turn it over a bit under pressure. Although that irons out a little when he gets consistency and confidence I think.

He defends pretty well too but isn't express pace so some opponents are limited. Very very good overhead for his size. One down side is he does miss a bit with injuries but so does everyone at Collingwood it seems.

Anyway I liked him at the Pies, sad to see him go but think it had to happen, I wish him well at Freo.

I think Aish will be a good pick up for Freo if you're after a small defender. He had some of the cleanest hands at Collingwood below his knees, up there with Pendlebury, seriously very rarely fumbles. That's an underrated skill in defence. He used to cop a bit for being soft but he isn't, always goes when it's his turn.

His kicking is overrated and seems to be in this thread. It's safe rather than incisive and he can turn it over a bit under pressure. Although that irons out a little when he gets consistency and confidence I think.

He defends pretty well too but isn't express pace so some opponents are limited. Very very good overhead for his size. One down side is he does miss a bit with injuries but so does everyone at Collingwood it seems.

Anyway I liked him at the Pies, sad to see him go but think it had to happen, I wish him well at Freo.

“...seriously very rarely fumbles. “

Very rare at Freo

The more this sinks in the more I like it. Especially if Jlo is going to play him on a wing.
I still feel scarred by 5 years+ of Lyon shoehorning everyone with half a brain and decent skills into the backline and filling the forward half with players who tackle.

Would love to see Hill back on the outside, Sturt and hopefully Henry in the forward 50, some creative and instinctive football.

The more this sinks in the more I like it. Especially if Jlo is going to play him on a wing.
I still feel scarred by 5 years+ of Lyon shoehorning everyone with half a brain and decent skills into the backline and filling the forward half with players who tackle.

Would love to see Hill back on the outside, Sturt and hopefully Henry in the forward 50, some creative and instinctive football.
So you have a problem with Lyon doing exactly what Buckley did with Aish, and after Aish established himself in that position under Longmuir, you want to move him? I'm also struggling to identify which are our tackling forwards? I know Henry does, thank goodness.

So you have a problem with Lyon doing exactly what Buckley did with Aish, and after Aish established himself in that position under Longmuir, you want to move him? I'm also struggling to identify which are our tackling forwards? I know Henry does, thank goodness.
I for one would like to see Wilson and Aish interchanging between wing and half back.

Hill's fitness aside, I think we can find acceptable wings without dismantling our defence.
bit dramatic?

I just had memories of wingmen with laser sharp kicking (Shill) running down the wings and delivering the ball on to the chest of leading tall forwards (pavlich, who walk back and slot a goal). Silly me for wanting that again with Shill and Wilson, particularly. We probably should go back to the Pearced days of the ball making the F50 after scraping the light side of the moon ready for 12 players to contest, or the recent Langdon times when we weren't sure if the ball would end up inside F50 or in the lap of a supporter in the 6th row on the wing.:p

Lack of continuity can be a big factor in skill execution. If Aish can get some continuity for even just a season or two, he could get his kicking mojo into gear. I guess I wouldn't be putting my house on it, given his and Freo's injury records, but a fresh environment with the comfort of a familiar coach might be beneficial.

He is pretty clean with securing the ball, which is something you can't get enough of.

I didn't say anything about Buckley.
I have (had) a problem with Hill, Cerra, Blakely for example, being used in defence when to me they would be better utilised as attacking/creative players.
I'm hoping to see a style of football more focused on creativity and players showing flair, dare and imagination.

Aish is one I've kept an eye on since he was drafted and he hasn't reached anywhere near the heights predicted for him. I'm hoping he will be given a creative, attacking role in our team.

I didn't say anything about Buckley.
I have (had) a problem with Hill, Cerra, Blakely for example, being used in defence when to me they would be better utilised as attacking/creative players.
I'm hoping to see a style of football more focused on creativity and players showing flair, dare and imagination.

Aish is one I've kept an eye on since he was drafted and he hasn't reached anywhere near the heights predicted for him. I'm hoping he will be given a creative, attacking role in our team.
I don't think playing off half-back is incompatible with attacking flair though. I think the idea was that they use their judgement and attacking creativity off half-back, thus turning defence into attack more quickly. Also from half-back they actually get a bigger canvas for their creations, rather than say getting more of the ball centre/centre-forward.

Back on Aish, I remember thinking Brisbane got a bargain for the position he was drafted. But a Brisvegan fan I know was a bit disappointed early days that he was a bit flaky. When he moved to Collingwood, I was a bit disappointed at another recruit abandoning the northern clubs, so hoped his flakiness continued, but to my almost disappointment he dashed this expectation as he developed into a quite reliable player when I saw him for the Magpies. Heaps of development left in him me thinks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back