Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Just here to check my autocorrect...

Nicks.

Yep, all good, phone offers "Nick's", ignore. :)

I'm expecting people to go with Nix, Knicks or Knick's lol.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I'm liking what I've seen of Nicks so far, but I'm not a fan of coaches coming out with statements like this. “seeking out the contest” and “inflicting damage on the opposition”.

It's so 'Hinkley', and just sets the scene for more constant ridicule.

I remember Hinkley saying they wanted the opposition "to s**t themselves" every time they went near the ball...how has that worked our for ya Ken?

“It's a game of errors. It's a game of turnovers,” Nicks said.

:think:Well, no, it's not merely a game of errors and turnovers.

“When you look at a game, if we’re winning the turnover score, it shows that we're winning a lot of contests and that we were playing the game in the positions we want to play the game in.
“If an opposition makes a mistake in their back third, well it's more than likely we're going to punish them on that. Whereas, if we spend the whole time in our back 50 it's hard to score from that area.”......this has got 'no s**t Sherlock' dripping all over it.

I'm hoping there's a strategist coming in to assist.
It sounded to me like a someone reciting key phrases identified by focus groups to increase membership sales

Rather than any authentic statement of identity

Maybe it’s confirmation bias because I have a pretty negative outlook on our club’s ability to be authentic currently but it was not the first impression I was hoping for

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
I know that 95% of people disagree with me, but I just dont see how this guy is the best coach available. He has been under Hinkley at the power for 8 of the last 9 years. Port has been absolutely s**t house for most of that time and Hinkley is one of my least favourite coaches. I think Hinkley is so bad that I say a little prayer every day that he never gets the sack ;)

So how the fu** is Nicks the best option. I dont know. Feels like we hired him because he was from SA. Maybe he was the only one of the candidates that knew he had to blow smoke up Roos arse to get the job. Will be happy to be proven wrong, but count me in as one of the 5% who is 100% against this appointment.
You will note know until we watch footy next year. I mean the club will never divulge any of their discussions, no one in BF was involved. Comments coming from others such as edwards and his peers within the coaching group have heaped praise on him so all you can do is now get ready for something different. Make your judgement call later next year.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
It sounded to me like a someone reciting key phrases identified by focus groups to increase membership sales

Maybe it’s confirmation bias because I have a pretty negative outlook on our club’s ability to be authentic currently but it was not the first impression I was hoping for
After the survey I also had that thought ie how much of my comments will be coming back at me

''we understand how supporters can feel the club is ''disinterested'' and ''chaotic'' and we will ''focus on football'' to make sure ''premierships are the number 1 driver''

Destined for failure then if that's the case.

Heard last night Mark Stone has been sought out for a position, whether it's the culture lead or senior assistant I don't know.

Mark Stone was at Sydney back when Nicks was still playing wasn't he?

He seems like a pretty good operator. He definitely inspires more confidence than Hart or Godden.

Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Mark Stone was at Sydney back when Nicks was still playing wasn't he?

He seems like a pretty good operator. He definitely inspires more confidence than Hart or Godden.

I don’t think their paths crossed over as Nicks had already retired.

That said, I’m sure Nicks would know many at the club at that time who could give valuable insight into Stone.

Very much hope we get him, seems a perfect fit with a focus on both strategy and culture/relationships.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

Press conferences are marketing though. They are 99% platitude, 1% insight. Even the coaches who have won flags are like that. Most of them probably wouldn't even do pressers if they had a choice.

Not blaming you for having a cynical outlook. It's only fair given how much of a shitshow the club has been lately but the only real way to make an authentic statement of identity is to win games of footy.

Crowbots are dead

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I can admit to getting things wrong and have plenty of times. I was against us getting Gibbs in 2016, then I admitted I was wrong and wanted us to pay overs in 2017 after the GF loss, then I admitted I was wrong to backflip and we shouldn't have got him at all ;)

In terms of assessing people on where they have been, I am pretty sure that your recent work history is the most relevant thing when you apply for a new job. If your looking for a promotion to a leadership position, they will definitely look at how your previous organisation performed under you.

Nicks has been at one organisation for 8 of the last 9 years in a very senior role. We should assume that what he brings to the table is clearly reflected in that organisation now, after being there for so long, in numerous different coaching roles. If he hasnt shaped Port after being there for 8 years then why would we want him?

So its pretty reasonable to judge him at least in part by what Port have done over the past 8 years and what their positives and negatives are. I dont think we can blame him for China, or for recruiting Jack Watts or Motlop. But I think the type of football they play, their game plan, tactics, culture etc have all been heavily influenced by him. And we should expect him to take what he was doing there and apply it with us, only with more influence than he had at Port.

Is there anything from Port that you are excited to become Part of the way we play? Maybe there are some good things? I just havent rated them in the last decade. There is not one part of their game that I look and think, I would like that at the Crows. Whereas I look around, even past the top clubs like Richmond, WCE, Pies, etc and I do see a lot of things I like. Love the way Brisbane have rebuilt themselves. I think there is a lot to like about the way that Essendon move the ball, but a lot of problems there too. I actually think Carlton under Teague have got something there now. I just havent seen anything I like at Port.
Have you ever hired anyone? I usually like to meet and interview rather that try and guess through work history. Judging every employee by a clubs win loss record is maybe just a tad shallow

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have you ever hired anyone? I usually like to meet and interview rather that try and guess through work history. Judging every employee by a clubs win loss record is maybe just a tad shallow

I have been heavily involved in the recruitment process a number of times. But its completely irrelevant. I am not saying for a fact that Nicks was a bad hire. Only that of what I do know about him from his coaching history, he is a product of a club that in my opinion has been a basket case during his 8 years there. Any comment like me judging Nicks goes both ways. If I can't possibly know if Nicks was a bad hire because of X, Y and Z, the same applies. You cant possibly know if he was a good hire. None of us were there. I am not saying I was. I have laid out my concerns. If you think there is no basis for them that's fine. I am entitled to my opinion.

I haven't changed my reservations about this club's decision makers because of a few long overdue sackings and some public spin. We have only had one top quality coach in our entire history and he was only there for a few years. Sorry that I am not giving the benefit of the doubt to the people who have under performed for decades in their choice for a new coach. Especially as its got all the hall marks of same s**t different day.

To be honest, I am quietly happy to get some of that Bloods culture into us. That Sydney team really was one of my favourites even though it was a long time ago. I think I might have even been excited by Nicks if he hadnt been at Port for so long and during such a mediocre period for them.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
I have been heavily involved in the recruitment process a number of times. But its completely irrelevant. I am not saying for a fact that Nicks was a bad hire. Only that of what I do know about him from his coaching history, he is a product of a club that in my opinion has been a basket case during his 8 years there. Any comment like me judging Nicks goes both ways. If I can't possibly know if Nicks was a bad hire because of X, Y and Z, the same applies. You cant possibly know if he was a good hire. None of us were there. I am not saying I was. I have laid out my concerns. If you think there is no basis for them that's fine. I am entitled to my opinion.

I haven't changed my reservations about this club's decision makers because of a few long overdue sackings and some public spin. We have only had one top quality coach in our entire history and he was only there for a few years. Sorry that I am not giving the benefit of the doubt to the people who have under performed for decades in their choice for a new coach. Especially as its got all the hall marks of same s**t different day.

To be honest, I am quietly happy to get some of that Bloods culture into us. That Sydney team really was one of my favourites even though it was a long time ago. I think I might have even been excited by Nicks if he hadnt been at Port for so long and during such a mediocre period for them.

I think Craig was top quality. Sure he didn't get us into a Grand Final but he got close and there were a few things that didn't go his way in the end.
He bottomed out hard though, but still think he was a decent enough coach. Even Graham Cornes did fairly well all things considered back in the early 90s.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Craig was top quality. Sure he didn't get us into a Grand Final but he got close and there were a few things that didn't go his way in the end.
He bottomed out hard though, but still think he was a decent enough coach. Even Graham Cornes did fairly well all things considered back in the early 90s.

I did say top quality. I would agree with Craig and Pyke were good but not elite in terms of quality. They both did very well in the home and away.

Cornes hard to say. Had a brilliant team full of most of SAs best players and some all time greats for our club. We had probably one shot at access to that type of player and I do think we had the players to win a flag. It was a huge ask to come into a new league as a team that wasn’t really a “team” yet or a club that wasn’t really a “club” yet. So it’s hard to judge that one. Maybe a better coach might have really shocked those VFL scumbags before theyknew what hit then ;)

Cornes wasn’t crap, but not I don’t think he was elite. But footy was different back then so hard to say what was elite.

Blight was unbelievable. Just had a full suite of all the skills and took a good team and made them great.

I did say top quality. I would agree with Craig and Pyke were good but not elite in terms of quality. They both did very well in the home and away.

Cornes hard to say. Had a brilliant team full of most of SAs best players and some all time greats for our club. We had probably one shot at access to that type of player and I do think we had the players to win a flag. It was a huge ask to come into a new league as a team that wasn’t really a “team” yet or a club that wasn’t really a “club” yet. So it’s hard to judge that one. Maybe a better coach might have really shocked those VFL scumbags before theyknew what hit then ;)

Cornes wasn’t crap, but not I don’t think he was elite. But footy was different back then so hard to say what was elite.

Blight was unbelievable. Just had a full suite of all the skills and took a good team and made them great.
Cornesy has a magnificent SoO record

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
He can stay as women's coach, sounds like he's not confident of keeping his senior men's role.
I found that interesting - Knicker's first interview with Fagan he said all the assistants would be there next year.

Oh no, he's been AFC'd already!

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I found that interesting - Knicker's first interview with Fagan he said all the assistants would be there next year.

Oh no, he's been AFC'd already!
You can understand Godden and Mattner but the other 2 aren't exactly swimming in credits.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
You can understand Godden and Mattner but the other 2 aren't exactly swimming in credits.
Clarke hasn't done too much wrong in the last couple of years - whoever our forwards coach is on the other hand...

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Seriously, if somehow we could lure Neil Balme over to become our head of football (it won't happen but it can't hurt to dream), it would be the BIGGEST get this club has had for a very long time (Phil Walsh excluded). Talk about a guy that creates the right culture...he is THE man

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

Seriously, if somehow we could lure Neil Balme over to become our head of football (it won't happen but it can't hurt to dream), it would be the BIGGEST get this club has had for a very long time (Phil Walsh excluded). Talk about a guy that creates the right culture...he is THE man

Throw Rucciuto’s cheque book at him so he can’t refuse. If they get the right people in the right places and success comes then that money is well spent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back