Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Some have suggested that we received slightly unders for Ed Langdon given Melbourne's 2020 round 2 pick is somewhat of an unknown commodity at this time. We also gave them back pick 26 as part of the trade.

Maybe part of the reason for that is we have an agreement with Melbourne that they won't bid on Henry if they are in a position to do so?

Can only hope

Is it a form of collusion..? I’m not sure. Is it happening or has it happened in the past? Yup would have to say a big fat yes. Will the AFL do anything about it? Only when it suits them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My crude analysis for Fremantle national draftees 1996 - 2015:
WA 31 players drafted, 19 having good careers - includes Morabito and Shane Yarran.
VIC 36 players drafted, 15 having good careers.
SA 10 players drafted, 5 with good careers.
Others 6 drafted, 3 good careers.
I have excluded Rookies and players drafted from other AFL clubs. Also players in preseason drafts.

Some have suggested that we received slightly unders for Ed Langdon given Melbourne's 2020 round 2 pick is somewhat of an unknown commodity at this time. We also gave them back pick 26 as part of the trade.

Maybe part of the reason for that is we have an agreement with Melbourne that they won't bid on Henry if they are in a position to do so?
I very highly doubt this. When it comes to the draft all bets are off.

Plus when Melbourne did the deal with us for Langdon - they only had pick 3. They later traded for pick 8.

There zero chance Melbourne bid on Henry at 3. They are decent chance at 8/9 but not sure the point to be honest unless they are wanting to shape the draft in some way but they don’t have a later pick at this point.

What we would have done is created some goodwill with Melbourne through favourable trading for Langdon. If they do bid at 8/9 I’m going to say that Goodwill is goneski and next trade negotiations won’t be so favourable. We Also gave them Viv Mitchie and Harley Baltic for bugger all. The Hogan trade was interesting but you can understand our concerns. The same concerns which Sydney had with Daniher and the extremely high price the Dons had on his head.

Meh. I would’ve been for it if we didn’t get Acres and Aish, but 3 essential of the same sort of guy? No thanks.
Peel needs wingers too...

Not messy at all.
Although I don’t expect the pick park to happen or be approved by AFL so I won’t address that.

We will have a very good idea closer to the draft whether Liam Henry will be bid on with 8 or 9. Why sit on our laurels and go whatevs just accept the bid with 10.

I will be very disappointed in Freo if that is the case.

1. Try to move up to position 5,6 or 8.
2. If there are no sellers then move to Geelong who are reportedly keen to move forward. The swap of 10+22 > 14+17 works out very evenly and should satisfy both clubs. We get to match 8/9/10 bid with pick 14/15 and then get a third first round pick about spots higher than our current third pick which will drop to at least 25 by the time we get to use it. Why not move it up to 18/19???
Curious to know why you think we would have a good idea if another club would bid, and why we would be confident that would happen even if we thought it may turn out that way. At best I think we'd have a guess at to if he may be considered.

It looks that way (as most selections are very much state based), however its not.
eg; 20. Brisbane Lions - Lucy Bellinger (Glenelg)

Most selections being state-based still suggests there's a culture of drafting from your home state, which I expect is to do with the part-time nature of the AFLW.

That culture doesn't really exist for the mens, so I don't think we can extrapolate the womens list management to the mens team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s for another crazy trade

GWS trade pick 6 And future 1st for 4 and pick 23.

Crows trade pick 6, 37,45, 49 to Fremantle for pick 10 and 22

We promise not to select SA kids and they promise not to bid on Henry.

Here’s for another crazy trade

GWS trade pick 6 And future 1st for 4 and pick 23.

Crows trade pick 6, 37,45, 49 to Fremantle for pick 10 and 22

We promise not to select SA kids and they promise not to bid on Henry.
Dont have enough list spots. to do 2 into 4

Not that it matters but is he? I thought he was reported to be a West Coast supporter....

Jeremy Sharp has also been reported as a west coast supporter and a mad freo supporter at different times....
I heard next year draftee o'driscoll is a freo supporter and Fyfe and Angus brayshaw fan .........

Not that it matters but is he? I thought he was reported to be a West Coast supporter....

Jeremy Sharp has also been reported as a west coast supporter and a mad freo supporter at different times....

In the latest burning questions video on the afl site he says that he is.

They also ask Henry but I can't quite make out his answer, I'm assuming he says "dockers"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back