AFLW West Coast Eagles Women's Team - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cameron is a bit of a young gun herself.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
She did take my by surprise I can't lie. https://www.wafl.com.au/player/imahra-cameron

I have only had media coverage to guide me this draft, outside of Roxy and Mim and Bianca Webb (all Freo bah)

I know more about the WA crop that will come through in the next 2-3 seasons. Some really exceptional talent.

Lol it’s like Crazy Vozzo has been listening to us whinging about our drafting on BF for so long he’s gone crazy with the AFLW midfield
Your recruiting team, bar Emma Swanson

1571720008357.png

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
So we actually did draft social Kate?

Gonna be some WILD insta stories on game day via GoPro!
Sure did. There’s a pic doing the rounds of her getting congratulated on getting picked coz she was working in one of the function rooms when it got announced. She didn’t get to watch her name get called out I don’t think.

Want Gibson to have more of the footy than what she had at Freo if I may. Great talent - but think she can give more from my viewings

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Want Gibson to have more of the footy than what she had at Freo if I may. Great talent - but think she can give more from my viewings

Definitely. My question is who is going to kick the goals in this side. Tester and Gibson are going to have to produce a lot if we are relying on them. We may play Laurie forward a bit to help out as a tall target but she’s still learning to be a forward.

Definitely. My question is who is going to kick the goals in this side. Tester and Gibson are going to have to produce a lot if we are relying on them. We may play Laurie forward a bit to help out as a tall target but she’s still learning to be a forward.
For lack of a better example - this could be a Richmond type gameplan. As long as the girls are fit (and they are) to constantly run and repat, we shoud be ok..

Very excited, the group is good.

Hoping WCE put up their profiles soon.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
For lack of a better example - this could be a Richmond type gameplan. As long as the girls are fit (and they are) to constantly run and repat, we shoud be ok..

Very excited, the group is good.

Hoping WCE put up their profiles soon.

Could be, but we’d be asking a lot of the girls to play a game style that isn’t really seen in a lot of women’s footy. I’d say we’d be more likely to hit up the open player and control the footy more. Only time will tell and that’s the exciting part. :)

Fremantle may have taken a hit with the introduction of West Coast to the AFLW competition, but after today’s draft, they have shown they’re not about to go down with a fight.
The Eagles poached eight players from the Dockers, including two-time All Australian and inaugural best and fairest winner Dana Hooker, as they look to enter the competition with a bang and retain their status as the biggest club in WA.
Despite the hit, the Dockers are not about to accept a slide down the ladder after making finals for the first time in 2019 and instead added plenty of ready-made talent which will bolster their already experienced side.
First round draftee Roxy Roux was a no brainer. The 18-year-old forward is arguably the best forward in the draft, but has the ability to play all over the ground and is ready for a debut in round one.
She is strong both in the air and on the ground and despite appearing shy in public, has an air of confidence on the field that has the ability to take a game away from the opposition in the space of a quarter.
They replenished their ruck stocks by adding Swan Districts ruck Mim Strom, who despite still being raw, has great athleticism and will eventually fill the hole left by Alicia Janz and Parris Laurie, who made the move to West Coast.
From here the Dockers continued to pick up young talent, with defenders Emma O’Driscoll and Janelle Cuthbertson adding depth down back, while Sarah Garstone and Bianca Webb will likely be depth players with one eye on the future.
But Dockers coach Trent Cooper clearly has one eye on the future as well as a premiership and most of these moves are smart.
Fremantle coach Trent Cooper. Credit: AFL Media

Much like their male counterparts, the Eagles are aiming for a premiership next year and it was reflected in their approach to the draft.
West Coast made big moves with youth before the draft by signing up academy players Mikayla Bowen and Sophie McDonald, a duo who have no trouble finding the football and skills which rival many of the best in this year’s under-18 carnival.
But today they went for as much experience as they could when it came to the draft, taking 30-year-old employee Kate Orme and 31-year-old former Adelaide and Melbourne defender Talia Radan.
West Coast recruit Talia Radan brings premiership experience to the Eagles. Credit: AFL Media
WAFLW leading goalkicker Tarnee Tester gives them some added firepower, while the surprise of Imahra Cameron with pick 19 was a move made to make sure they had pace for the beautiful surfaces at Lathlain Park.
Combine these selections with the likes of Hooker, former GWS Giant Emma Swanson and Docker Ashlee Atkins, West Coast did not shy away from their intentions.
Whether this is the smart approach or not is yet to be seen, but the coach Adam Selwood now has a team on his hands who he knows can at the very least compete right from round one.

Bring on the Derby - The fan boy in me says this should be a Round One clash :D

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Fremantle may have taken a hit with the introduction of West Coast to the AFLW competition, but after today’s draft, they have shown they’re not about to go down with a fight.
The Eagles poached eight players from the Dockers, including two-time All Australian and inaugural best and fairest winner Dana Hooker, as they look to enter the competition with a bang and retain their status as the biggest club in WA.
Despite the hit, the Dockers are not about to accept a slide down the ladder after making finals for the first time in 2019 and instead added plenty of ready-made talent which will bolster their already experienced side.
DOCKERS POUNCE ON HIGH LEAPING ROUX WITH FIRST PICK
EAGLES DRAFT ROUND-UP: FLAG EXPERIENCE VITAL FOR NEW CLUB
DOCKERS DRAFT ROUND-UP: FREO BOLSTER FORWARDS AND RUCKS
First round draftee Roxy Roux was a no brainer. The 18-year-old forward is arguably the best forward in the draft, but has the ability to play all over the ground and is ready for a debut in round one.
She is strong both in the air and on the ground and despite appearing shy in public, has an air of confidence on the field that has the ability to take a game away from the opposition in the space of a quarter.
They replenished their ruck stocks by adding Swan Districts ruck Mim Strom, who despite still being raw, has great athleticism and will eventually fill the hole left by Alicia Janz and Parris Laurie, who made the move to West Coast.
From here the Dockers continued to pick up young talent, with defenders Emma O’Driscoll and Janelle Cuthbertson adding depth down back, while Sarah Garstone and Bianca Webb will likely be depth players with one eye on the future.
But Dockers coach Trent Cooper clearly has one eye on the future as well as a premiership and most of these moves are smart.
Fremantle coach Trent Cooper. Credit: AFL Media

Much like their male counterparts, the Eagles are aiming for a premiership next year and it was reflected in their approach to the draft.
West Coast made big moves with youth before the draft by signing up academy players Mikayla Bowen and Sophie McDonald, a duo who have no trouble finding the football and skills which rival many of the best in this year’s under-18 carnival.
But today they went for as much experience as they could when it came to the draft, taking 30-year-old employee Kate Orme and 31-year-old former Adelaide and Melbourne defender Talia Radan.
West Coast recruit Talia Radan brings premiership experience to the Eagles. Credit: AFL Media
WAFLW leading goalkicker Tarnee Tester gives them some added firepower, while the surprise of Imahra Cameron with pick 19 was a move made to make sure they had pace for the beautiful surfaces at Lathlain Park.
Combine these selections with the likes of Hooker, former GWS Giant Emma Swanson and Docker Ashlee Atkins, West Coast did not shy away from their intentions.
Whether this is the smart approach or not is yet to be seen, but the coach Adam Selwood now has a team on his hands who he knows can at the very least compete right from round one.

Bring on the Derby - The fan boy in me says this should be a Round One clash :D

IT would be awesome, but I’ll just be stoked to see the eagles have a women’s team, so whoever they play is fine by me. :)

Last edited:
From the club

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
In an interview, Selwood (pretty sure it was him), mentioned that drafting this year would be done with half an eye on what would be available next year, which he considered potentially a better draft pool. I think we can look at this years team as being the half way point in building a side.
Unfortunately, on paper, I think Freo has the better list, possibly by quite a margin, but how the pieces come together matters as much as what pieces you have, so we will see.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Hopefully we get a few games in Melbourne that I can see. There’s always full strength cheap beers at Whitten Oval / Casey

This is actually going to be true of womens drafts for years to come. Every draft will be better than almost all drafts that proceeded it.
Abso-freaking-lutely

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
In an interview, Selwood (pretty sure it was him), mentioned that drafting this year would be done with half an eye on what would be available next year, which he considered potentially a better draft pool. I think we can look at this years team as being the half way point in building a side.
Unfortunately, on paper, I think Freo has the better list, possibly by quite a margin, but how the pieces come together matters as much as what pieces you have, so we will see.

I reckon we will go alright just quietly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back