Coach Shaun Grigg joins the Cats as a development coach

Remove this Banner Ad

EOkFHfc.jpg

I too don't get or like the chaos tag- they look very structured and organised even if the pace is frenetic

Yep...I too love watching Richmond play. Commentators are lazy and just say their mids run ahead of the ball, but if you watch closely often one of their forwards will move up becoming a mid allowing a mid to sprint forward (a "stinger") or move/slide into the open space ("fat side slide"). This is often Dusty...thus the concept of the "pop up forward". Not overly complicated but the tiges are highly structured and rely on everyone carrying out their role. They're as quick as anyone to dump players who don't follow team rules. They're not chaotic but what they're trying to do is cause chaos in the opposition!

edit sp

Last edited:

Grigg actually addressed the 'chaotic' thing in that article above:

“Everyone talks about Richmond just playing this chaotic brand, but there’s method and system behind it,” Grigg said.

“It’s not just get it going forward and running in packs. There’s a lot of method and system to it which you can practise."

I like this appointment already. Richmond supporters can't speak highly enough of his character and footy IQ, and he said a lot of things I liked in that article - a real focus on developing the young blokes and instilling confidence in them that they belong. We have a pretty unbalanced list - a lot of old and a lot of young, with not much in between - so bridging that gap is important.

This Geelong team aren't skilled or daring enough to play like the 07' team, but they could easily play like the current Richmond team if they had the same work rate and attitude that the tigers have across the board.

Hurts to say but this Richmond team plays a better brand of football than anything that we've dished up in the last 8 years.

They've got plenty of ability as well, but those two attributes you've mentioned are exceptional.

Its all well and good to get the IP of what the Tigers do, but we need to not only crack that but then expand on it and make it "our own"

Its a copy cat league and you know we wont be alone in trying to emulate it... but copying is not enough. Copy, crack, surpass and implement you own version needs to be the goal.

GO Catters

Its all well and good to get the IP of what the Tigers do, but we need to not only crack that but then expand on it and make it "our own"

Its a copy cat league and you know we wont be alone in trying to emulate it... but copying is not enough. Copy, crack, surpass and implement you own version needs to be the goal.

GO Catters

I know you already know this - but just to continue the conversation - Grigg has been hired for his capability to prepare younger players to senior football, something that Richmond appear to do very well. He may provide some intelligence, but I doubt it would be groundbreaking stuff.

I'm pretty sure that the coaches of every team know exactly how opposition teams play. There's no secret to these things when you are operating in such a data-driven field where coaches are ex-players and understand how things happen on the field.

In fact, alot of teams know how to beat Richmond too.

Doesn't mean it can happen though.

This is why so many coaches have the (very true) throwaway line "We focus more on playing our own game and if we do that well, then we're a good chance to win".

Agree. Every team has its unique personnel and style. Whenever someone tries to copy another team - they often end up failing badly.
Learning from the best is never a bad thing though. Collecting IP from other teams has been going on since Adam was a kid. Don't tell me the Maggies won't be mining Scooters knowledge of the way we go about things.

Learning from the best is never a bad thing though. Collecting IP from other teams has been going on since Adam was a kid. Don't tell me the Maggies won't be mining Scooters knowledge of the way we go about things.
Yes, there are certain things you can definitely learn from. But it is impossible to copy things exactly because of the 100s of variables that are unique to your own club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back