Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, you don’t ever hear Melbourne people bang on about which school they went to :rolleyes:. Nobody actually cares about this s**t anyway, I wouldn’t know what school anyone went to where I work because nobody gives a fu**.

I’ll have you know that as Seaton High alumni, Erin Phillips, Shaun Burgoyne and I have six AFL premierships between us

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I beg to differ with a lot of what has been written above. Look at our judges, diplomats, lawyers, politicians, top business people, top arts administrators, board members of companies and you will find that a great % of them come from the 'best' private schools. Not just in Adelaide, nationwide. To suggest that the old private school tie has no clout is nonsense.

i don’t know about other states but in Adelaide that’s exactly what it was about. Where you went to school opened doors to all sorts of opportunities that other people didn’t get.

Good educations at those schools, yes, but also elitist, privileged entitlement rather than merit based

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
I beg to differ with a lot of what has been written above. Look at our judges, diplomats, lawyers, politicians, top business people, top arts administrators, board members of companies and you will find that a great % of them come from the 'best' private schools. Not just in Adelaide, nationwide. To suggest that the old private school tie has no clout is nonsense.
This goes without saying, money begets money as does power and those with it will always protect it.
From what I’ve read on this thread people have been talking about people asking people where they went to school.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
He was very confident in his own approach, but similar to Pyke, appeared to ignore the opposition, conditions, state of the game and current team performance. I like a measured coach, but sometimes you need to play on passion and gut, rather relying on the system.
This.
If your team is the standout (eg Brisbane 2001-03, Hawthorn 2013-15), you play "your way", at least until someone works it out, dismantles it and you start getting done. In 2017 the Crows came out all guns blazing Rounds 1-6, then lost 4 of the next 7 games.
NM had a definite plan for the conditions down in Hobart that day and quite simply the Crows did NOT. In that case, the Crows needed a plan for the weather (wind/wet) and the ground, and Pyke did not have one.
I don't remember much about the Round 8 Melbourne game --- did they play 'keepings off' ie maintain possession time and time again, tag Sloane, packed defence, and generally frustrate the Crows and slow them down? Pyke was out-coached by Chris Scott and Clarko back then.
You're right --- in 2018 Pyke kept talking about getting back to playing "our way" when we were clearly undermanned (hamstring woes) and needed a different plan.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Blight was a freak as a player and a coach. ...
That's Blighty in a nutshell and football was his art. A massive talent and a genius. .... I'm a bit of a fan of his BTW :)
I was and still am a huge fan. Blight = 'mercurial', player and Coach.
Remember the movie "Man on Fire"?
"Rayburn: A man can be an artist... in anything, food, whatever *licks fingers*. It depends on how good he is at it. Creasey's art is death. He's about to paint his masterpiece. *shrugs* "

Blight's art was footy. The Crows 97/98 were his masterpiece.

I would leave Godden and Mattner where they are. I'm curious to see what Godden can do now that he has his training wheels off.

Put Hart in a developmental role. He has to be better at that than strategy.

Bring in a brand new forward coach please.

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I believe Heath Younie should be moved up as well. He has done a great job with the SANFL side.
He was only SANFL coach this year as a last minute change. Remember his job title is Development Manager. The development coaches all report to him. When Ryan O'Keefe left I heard that they wanted Ben Hart to take the SANFL side but once Francou left they had to put Hart back in to an assistant role and had Younie take the SANFL side rather than given it to one of the development coaches.

Not the best fitness coach either.

jenny61_99 I'm interested to know what was so revolutionary about Craig's programming?

Not the best fitness coach? His innovative fitness regime helped as win two premierships. Intense training period in the lead up to finals, then tapering - that was Neil Craig. As I said above, he was also responsible for the swarming attack from defence.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
This.
If your team is the standout (eg Brisbane 2001-03, Hawthorn 2013-15), you play "your way", at least until someone works it out, dismantles it and you start getting done. In 2017 the Crows came out all guns blazing Rounds 1-6, then lost 4 of the next 7 games.
NM had a definite plan for the conditions down in Hobart that day and quite simply the Crows did NOT. In that case, the Crows needed a plan for the weather (wind/wet) and the ground, and Pyke did not have one.
I don't remember much about the Round 8 Melbourne game --- did they play 'keepings off' ie maintain possession time and time again, tag Sloane, packed defence, and generally frustrate the Crows and slow them down? Pyke was out-coached by Chris Scott and Clarko back then.
You're right --- in 2018 Pyke kept talking about getting back to playing "our way" when we were clearly undermanned (hamstring woes) and needed a different plan.

That's pretty much how I remember that Melbourne game. They jumped out of the blocks, went up by a couple of goals early, then put up the wall and just held on for the rest of the day. It was like a bad soccer match. Sh*thouse.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
This.
Great examples.

One of the few times I saw Pyke change things up was v Geelong in 2017, when we were smashed at Geelong by kicking it long down the line to a loose Enright / Taylor. We played them in AO later in the year and played a very short, lead up game, which worked a treat and we won easily.

However, come 2018, we went back to our long bomb down the line and what do you know!

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's pretty much how I remember that Melbourne game. They jumped out of the blocks, went up by a couple of goals early, then put up the wall and just held on for the rest of the day. It was like a bad soccer match. Sh*thouse.
Crap game, but they won!

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crap game, but they won!

Yeah, but honestly if my team served that up, I don't know how long I would remain a fan of the team or the game in general. There are better things to do with your time than watch that sh*t, no matter how effective it may be at actually winning the game.

Actually they kicked 12 goals after half time (compared to our three). They tagged Sloane and we simply gave up.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, but honestly if my team served that up, I don't know how long I would remain a fan of the team or the game in general. There are better things to do with your time than watch that sh*t, no matter how effective it may be at actually winning the game.
If my team can change their game plan to win each game, I'm happy to watch each week knowing we are doing our best to win.

It's not like they play like that every week

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Actually they kicked 12 goals after half time (compared to our three). They tagged Sloane and we simply gave up.

Hmmm I might be remembering a different game v Melbourne, then. There have been enough sh*t ones in recent years that they kind of blend together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back