No Oppo Supporters 2019 Trade and FA period - Incoming Targets news discussion - read the rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we lost buddy for almost nothing. Roughead gets cancer and is robbed of the rest of his career, Rioli retires early, Birchall gets injured for 3 years, our veterans come to the end of their careers and we’ve had no good picks for a decade because we’ve been too good and managed to avoid bottoming out. The list has Plenty of talent and we’ve hardly seen any of our younger guys yet. We might not win the flag next year but if we keep adding players through trading And clever drafting we’ll give it a shake in the next few years. Then look at Carlton and Melbourne. Can only imagine the meltdowns our negative supporters would have following a team like that.

These are really really good points and funnily enough rarely mentioned by the media when discussing our performance post the three peat. Buddy aside - we were able to nab big boy with his pick, just imagine our side in the last three years with a fit roughy/birch and Rioli still motivated

That’s three bona fide champions taken out through various factors....

Douglas also mentioned in the same radio interview that he wanted to be a development coach specifically focused around players between that 23-28 year old age bracket that often get neglected a bit. As he felt that was a strength of his.

So given where our list is at, maybe that's the development role he's being scouted for?

Douglas also mentioned in the same radio interview that he wanted to be a development coach specifically focused around players between that 23-28 year old age bracket that often get neglected a bit. As he felt that was a strength of his.

So given where our list is at, maybe that's the development role he's being scouted for?

I would have thought so. Seems like the type of bloke we love to have in that capacity.

Just see Chris Newman. Solid player but really good leader and great in the development space.

Douglas from Seymour so I’d assume he’s coming back to Victoria, would assume it’s a coaching role as he wouldn’t be in our best 25-26 players. Maybe a playing/coaching role at Box Hill? From all reports he’s a ripper bloke, may be good for the kids at VFL level.

Douglas is from Broadford. Granted it doesn't make a difference, neither are places you'd move home for.

Be good to see him develop JO'M, Wingard, Sicily & Tom Mitchell, Patton & Frost - see if they can get the best out of themselves!

Seriously though, the more I hear about him, the more he sounds like a good guy to have around.

Should bookmark this and dust it off same time next year.

Thanks also for the history lesson do Gophers go into hibernation over winter to allow you to study that stuff.

DiFU84pX4AAFnHl.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me that Douglas in on the radar thanks to Hendo. I'm sure he would of identified Douglas's footy brain in his time at Crows.
I would be surprised if Clarko decided to go and see Douglas solely based on Hendo's appraisal.

So we lost buddy for almost nothing. Roughead gets cancer and is robbed of the rest of his career, Rioli retires early, Birchall gets injured for 3 years, our veterans come to the end of their careers and we’ve had no good picks for a decade because we’ve been too good and managed to avoid bottoming out. The list has Plenty of talent and we’ve hardly seen any of our younger guys yet. We might not win the flag next year but if we keep adding players through trading And clever drafting we’ll give it a shake in the next few years. Then look at Carlton and Melbourne. Can only imagine the meltdowns our negative supporters would have following a team like that.
This is a great quote.

Yet we still have nuffies from Carlton and Melbourne fan bases that insist that we follow their 'bottom out and go to the draft' model of list development.

Don't forget our coach was diagnosed with Guillan-Barre syndrome and missed games - and we also lost the likes of really solid guys in Suckling, Hill, Duryea.

We had draft and trade misses in Lovell, Vickery, O'Rourke etc.

Yet, we remain ultra relevant and should be around the mark again in 2020.

From the outside, our club doesn't seem to ever have any troubles - but its because we are so good at navigating and solving problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget our coach was diagnosed with Guillan-Barre syndrome and missed games - and we also lost the likes of really solid guys in Suckling, Hill, Duryea.

We had draft and trade misses in Lovell, Vickery, O'Rourke etc.

Yet, we remain ultra relevant and should be around the mark again in 2020.

From the outside, our club doesn't seem to ever have any troubles - but its because we are so good at navigating and solving problems.
And the club is raided every year. How many of clarkos acolytes are coaching now? Hardwick Simpson and bevo have won flags and Cameron was in a GF. Be handy still having a few of those guys around the club.

Just read where Lucas Webb has been delisted from the bulldogs could do worse than giving him another shot he’s only 23 with a raking left foot . ( Apologies if it’s not the place to bring stuff like this up I don’t know what belongs where nowdays)

You want to end each trade period being better then the previous season , we are and we did it basically giving minimally away. It was a good result . Patton and Frost will be classic examples of making the guys around them better.

I think we had a better 'trade' period then some clubs who ' won ' the trade period .
Just because your active or because you played hard ball doesnt mean you win trade .

Douglas is from Broadford. Granted it doesn't make a difference, neither are places you'd move home for.

Yep, you’re right.. I played footy with and against his brother, he was a top chb at Seymour during their best years.

From the outside our club doesn't seem to ever have any troubles - but its because we are so good at navigating and solving problems.

This should be a sticky at minimum on our front forum page for all those weak of heart.
And at most, would make a wonderful banner leading out from the tunnel to the training ground at the new Dingley digs to give a slap on the way out ala Notre Dame style.

Notre Dame tunnel banner.jpg

Yep, you’re right.. I played footy with and against his brother, he was a top chb at Seymour during their best years.

Yeah Robbie! Good player, definitely runs in the family.

Hard pressed to find a better country team than Seymour during those threepeat years for mine.

So it's too much for me to expect detail, and I should just judge all posts on the intent? Either way the intent was crap. Sell everything to take a punt on the draft despite a clear philosophy from the club that the draft is highly overrated.

That doesn't guarantee future success in any way at all, and definitely doesn't help Clarko or the club who have both publicly stated their intention to see success in the short term.

Reading into the clubs goal, I think the clubs intent is to sustain success for both the short and long term. 20 cups by 2050.so my reading of that is they are building for the short term while rejuvenating for the long term.

For example with the acquisition of Patton, he is here for the short term success (2021-2023) while Lewis develops for the next wave of success (2025-2028).

I think our trading was his sound this year. It wouldn’t suprise me if we manage to get either Rowell or Anderson in the next 3-4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back