Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thurlow would be a good enough replacement.

I just don’t understand why people are so against even trying as our midfield was awful last year, smashed week in week out. Why not make the defence a little bit weaker in order to make the midfield a lot stronger.
Because the coach is so defensive. Prefers to lose it in the mids and attack off half back from a turnover than win it in the mids and pump it into the forward line before they can get numbers back.

We either need to replace Mills as the mid sized option in defence. Possibly with Young in the draft or get an actual KPD so Rampe can move up to replace Mills. We would be losing something offensively if we did the latter.

I like the Swans young core. I think you’ve got some good young players coming through. Sydney will be much better next year.

In my opinion Mills is being wasted as a defender and should be playing either on the wing or as an inside midfielder.

Even if he’s half fit and Franklin plays the majority of the season he is still a match winner.

B: Dane Rampe, Lewis Melican, Colin O’Riordan

HB: Jordan Dawson, Aliir Aliir, Jake Lloyd

C: Callum Mills, George Hewett, Oliver Florent

HF: Isaac Heeney, Lance Franklin, Nick Blakey

F: Will Hayward, Tom McCartin, Tom Papley

R: Callum Sinclair, Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker

INT: James Rowbottom, Hayden McLean, Ryan Clarke, Ben Ronke

Don't like Aliir in a KDP.
Don't like Mills The Minder on a wing. Lack of leg speed and add to that, you lose his daftness/bravery in dropping into the hole without question.
Rather Reid The Rejuvenated on the bench as opposed to Clarke. Reid can kick, handball and mark, though the Clarke chap has him on running about.
Fu would look to a corridor on the aprons of, starting from the back, as is the Bloods business - Dawson, Blakey and Heeney The Highflyer.
Quality meets quality, leaving Buddy The Blood and his minion Paps The Plumber to wonder the fat for fullness.
And if the others feel so inclined, they can - do something.

The bones are there, though as we found out, once one or two fall the list drops dramatically.

Onwards to Victory!

We either need to replace Mills as the mid sized option in defence. Possibly with Young in the draft or get an actual KPD so Rampe can move up to replace Mills. We would be losing something offensively if we did the latter.
Yeah, much rather keep Rampe as a KPD. Can't see him being nearly as effective playing on more versatile forwards.

McCartin might hate me but I think he's the man to be the other KPD alongside Aliir. Melican was awful at times this year. Tom is direct, hard and brave.
With Rampe organising and Lloyd and Cunningham releasing we could have a back 6 or 7 without a genuine weakness.
Mills could switch between defence and mid and Reid between attack and defence.
Could work well.

McCartin might hate me but I think he's the man to be the other KPD alongside Aliir. Melican was awful at times this year. Tom is direct, hard and brave.
With Rampe organising and Lloyd and Cunningham releasing we could have a back 6 or 7 without a genuine weakness.
Mills could switch between defence and mid and Reid between attack and defence.
Could work well.
The only reason I don't mind McCartin as a defender is that it would free up Rampe to do what Mills does and allow Mills to be in the mids more.

But jeez there is something romantic about him becoming a strong KPF

This would be my team. Obviously few positional/personnel changes people would make but here would be my reasoning for some positions:

B: Back line speaks for itself, put Lloyd back there to mainly free up the guys in HB line.
HB: I feel this would be most discussed from reading through other people’s teams but here is my reasoning. Thurlow and COR would get permission to roam forward and in effect be forwards 7 and 8. They’re athleticism would definitely mean they can track back and do their primary job, all the while putting us in an offensive position and the opposition on the back foot from the off. I also think they’re foot skills are underrated, COR can kick off both feet and will continue to improve while Thurlow could kick a pass 30-40 yards away and put it right into the chest of our forwards.

C: moved Cunningham here as a result of my tactic with the HB but think he is too good to leave out and can attack and defend. Other 2 speak for themselves.

HF: regardless of what talk was happening with Papley so far, he is with us now and it would take a future Brownlow medalist for him to be left out of my 22. Buddy and Blakey are 2 of the first names on the team.

F. McCartin in the forwards because i thought he was very good there this year when he played and only loved to backs out of necessity with injuries. Keep him up there and watch him prosper I say!

Foll : again, if these 3 play well consistently, they would give any team a run for their money

B: J. Lloyd , D.Rampe, L.Melican
HB: J. Thurlow, A.Aliir, COR
C: H Cunningham, I.Heeney, G.Hewett
HF: T. Papley, L.Franklin, N.Blakey
F: T. McCartin, J.Daniher, L.Parker
FOLL: Naismith, J.Kennedy, C.Mills
I/C: S.Reid, Stoddart, J.Rowbottom, W.Hayward

Optimism levels are hitting record highs as it is still not even pre season but roll on 2020!!! 🔴⚪

Interesting article on Swans site today discussing Longmire's game plan changes in 2020 between he, Beatson and Tom Harley: www.sydneyswans.com.au/best-22-2020. The team is produced below for those that can't get through the paywall.

HB: J. Lloyd , D.Rampe, L.Melican
HB: H Cunningham, I.Heeney, G.Hewett
HB: T. Papley, S.Reid, N.Blakey, T. McCartin, L.Parker
HB: Naismith, J.Kennedy, C.Mills
F: L. Franklin

Interesting article on Swans site today discussing Longmire's game plan changes in 2020 between he, Beatson and Tom Harley: www.sydneyswans.com.au/best-22-2020. The team is produced below for those that can't get through the paywall.

What rubbish! this is a joke right? Reid in twice, no Dawson, no Florent

And people say Longmire is too defensive, there isn't even an FB line!

Heres a crack at where our list is as right now.. we're still 5 months away (and a few operations, player movements and a pre-season) from round one, so none of this is set in stone.. more of a starting point.

Forwards
Buddy, Reid, Papley, Ronke, Haywood, Heeney
Mids
Naismith, Parker, Kennedy, Hewitt, Florent, Blakey
Def
Rampe, Allirr, Mills, Lloyd , Dawson, Melican
Int
Cunningham, Rowbottom, McCartin, O'Riordan

Soo.. from the forwards.. Heeney and Paps (Ronke at a stretch) can play through the mids. Reid can play as 2nd ruck and also as a spare in defence
....... from the mids.. Parker, Kennedy, Blakey can all play up forward
....... from defence.. Mills and Lloyd? can play through the midfield, Dawson can play mid and forward, Allirr can pinch hit in the ruck
....... the interchange includes inside & outside mids, forwards and defenders.
Quite well balanced?

Reserves that have experience or proven ability at AFL level..
Sinclare, McLean, Clarke, Fox

Second tier reserves - need to (or likely to) develop, or need to step up for senior selection
McInerny, Stoddart, Foot, Ling, Bell, Thurlow, Amartey, Knoll, Reynolds

New..
Lewis Taylor, Irish fella (193cm, can't remember his name)
P5, p25, p32, p44

No contract..
Menzal, Wicks, Mailbaum, Pink, Hirst.

This equals 41 players on our list, 8 spots remaining.
The development of a few of the second tier reserves + Taylor + p5, means theres a solid 30+ players who'll play seniors this year.
Do we take 4 picks to the draft or trade p32 + p44 for (freos) p22 and take three picks to the draft?
Do we recruit Bennel?
Who do we re-contract?
Do we fill all the remainder rookie spots now or save space for the pre-season draft?

Where do we finish in 2020?
Where do we finish in 2021??

Heres a crack at where our list is as right now.. we're still 5 months away (and a few operations, player movements and a pre-season) from round one, so none of this is set in stone.. more of a starting point.

Forwards
Buddy, Reid, Papley, Ronke, Haywood, Heeney
Mids
Naismith, Parker, Kennedy, Hewitt, Florent, Blakey
Def
Rampe, Allirr, Mills, Lloyd , Dawson, Melican
Int
Cunningham, Rowbottom, McCartin, O'Riordan

Soo.. from the forwards.. Heeney and Paps (Ronke at a stretch) can play through the mids. Reid can play as 2nd ruck and also as a spare in defence
....... from the mids.. Parker, Kennedy, Blakey can all play up forward
....... from defence.. Mills and Lloyd? can play through the midfield, Dawson can play mid and forward, Allirr can pinch hit in the ruck
....... the interchange includes inside & outside mids, forwards and defenders.
Quite well balanced?

Reserves that have experience or proven ability at AFL level..
Sinclare, McLean, Clarke, Fox

Second tier reserves - need to (or likely to) develop, or need to step up for senior selection
McInerny, Stoddart, Foot, Ling, Bell, Thurlow, Amartey, Knoll, Reynolds

New..
Lewis Taylor, Irish fella (193cm, can't remember his name)
P5, p25, p32, p44

No contract..
Menzal, Wicks, Mailbaum, Pink, Hirst.

This equals 41 players on our list, 8 spots remaining.
The development of a few of the second tier reserves + Taylor + p5, means theres a solid 30+ players who'll play seniors this year.
Do we take 4 picks to the draft or trade p32 + p44 for (freos) p22 and take three picks to the draft?
Do we recruit Bennel?
Who do we re-contract?
Do we fill all the remainder rookie spots now or save space for the pre-season draft?

Where do we finish in 2020?
Where do we finish in 2021??
8 would be great but I think that leaves 6 spots maximum if you include the Irishman, O'Connor.

Say we take 3-4 in the draft and 2-3 as rookies, maybe we don't end up delisting anyone else.

Would love to see Pink (though he would need to be ungraded) and Wicks get another year, possibly Menzel too. Surely Hirst gets another year after being taken mid-season - they spoke of him like a project player. We could also delist Maibaum then rookie him if there's some uncertainty, but who knows?

If certain players stay healthy, I can see improvement on this year, perhaps even 8-12. This may be partially conditional on a resurgence in the midfield though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure max list size is 46.
Senior list min 38, max 40.
Cat B max 3

Max List is 47.

Here is the part of the CBA that is relevent

Player Lists – 2018 - 2022
(a) Each AFL Club shall maintain their Lists during the Term as follows:

1. (i) The number of Players on the Club’s Primary List shall be not more than 40 and not less than 38;
  2. (ii) The number of Players on the Club’s Category A Rookie List shall be not more than 6 provided that a Club must not have more than 44 Players on their Primary List and Category A Rookie List at any time;
  3. (iii) The number of Players on the Club’s Category B Rookie List shall be not more than 3.
(b) Any amount paid to a Rookie Player in excess of the base payment payable to a 1st year, 41+ choice selection shall be included in the relevant AFL Club’s Total Player Payments. For the avoidance of doubt, the minimum base payment payable to a 1st year, 41+ choice selection shall be excluded in the relevant AFL Club’s Total Player Payments for each Rookie Player.
(c) Players included on a Category A Rookie List shall be eligible for selection in a Match from 1 November 2017 notwithstanding any contrary provision in this Agreement or the AFL Rules. Prior to 31 October 2017, AFL shall make all necessary amendments to the AFL Rules so that they shall provide for a Player on a Category A Rookie List to be eligible for selection in any Match played after 1 November 2017.

Max List is 47.

Here is the part of the CBA that is relevent

Player Lists – 2018 - 2022
(a) Each AFL Club shall maintain their Lists during the Term as follows:

1. (i) The number of Players on the Club’s Primary List shall be not more than 40 and not less than 38;
  2. (ii) The number of Players on the Club’s Category A Rookie List shall be not more than 6 provided that a Club must not have more than 44 Players on their Primary List and Category A Rookie List at any time;
  3. (iii) The number of Players on the Club’s Category B Rookie List shall be not more than 3.
(b) Any amount paid to a Rookie Player in excess of the base payment payable to a 1st year, 41+ choice selection shall be included in the relevant AFL Club’s Total Player Payments. For the avoidance of doubt, the minimum base payment payable to a 1st year, 41+ choice selection shall be excluded in the relevant AFL Club’s Total Player Payments for each Rookie Player.
(c) Players included on a Category A Rookie List shall be eligible for selection in a Match from 1 November 2017 notwithstanding any contrary provision in this Agreement or the AFL Rules. Prior to 31 October 2017, AFL shall make all necessary amendments to the AFL Rules so that they shall provide for a Player on a Category A Rookie List to be eligible for selection in any Match played after 1 November 2017.

Cheers.

Do you know if a player can only be on the rookie list for no more than 3 consecutive years? I think that was also only limited to 2 players as well.

That would mean for Pink to be retained he must be promoted to the senior list, if it is still the case.

Cheers.

Do you know if a player can only be on the rookie list for no more than 3 consecutive years? I think that was also only limited to 2 players as well.

That would mean for Pink to be retained he must be promoted to the senior list, if it is still the case.

There use to be rules around 3rd year rookies but I think they are no longer in place. In any case with who we have re-signed for next year in regards to the rookie list the only way we can keep Toby on the list is by promoting him to the senior list unless we don't want to take any rookie draft selections this year.

I wonder what Longmire is going to do with Hewett in 2020 as I think he is capable of so much more than just being a tagged.

Is he ? Don’t think other teams care if he gets it

Great honest player and aggressive clearly the type you want

But is what what he is imo

Beat Lachie Neale earlier this year up at the Gabba going head to head. Deserves more opportunities to do so.

Neale still got 29 and a Brownlow vote in the win

Hewett got 2 and 34 but I would argue Neale didn’t give a stuff if hewett got it

He still had an assignment on a key player too and that’s his role

Neale still got 29 and a Brownlow vote in the win

Hewett got 2 and 34 but I would argue Neale didn’t give a stuff if hewett got it

He still had an assignment on a key player too and that’s his role

I don't think he did. I think he went head to head with a dude who finished top five in the Brownlow and had more of an impact. Now was in a far inferior team on the day so of course it didn't reflect on the scoreboard, but it showed what Hewett individually was capable of.

I don't think he did. I think he went head to head with a dude who finished top five in the Brownlow and had more of an impact. Now was in a far inferior team on the day so of course it didn't reflect on the scoreboard, but it showed what Hewett individually was capable of.

I personally believe Clarke should be our new tagged and Hewett becomes a full time in and under midfielder.

Neale still was one of the best on the field

Remove this Banner Ad

Back