Would you prefer Jack or Richo in their prime?

Remove this Banner Ad

Love them both....but it’s Richo for me.....
Why, because if richo played in this current Richmond era with the support, team unity and playing group (that was mostly none existent back then) he could’ve been much greater than he was.
Did anyone see Richo cut loose in one of the state of origin games where he finally got some good service and 1000 marks in that game? Freak8ng amazing.

It's gotta be Richo.

As people have said, imagine if you could put Richo into the current culture and coaching of the club.

Hard to compare cos Richo played when we were a basket case and Jack has the good fortune of playing when we're the most well oiled machine in the league. There's no doubt in my mind that if you put Richo in today's team, any of his flaws (except his set shots from 30m) would be gone.

Imagine the opposite though. Imagine if Riewoldt had played in an era where the full forwards only responsibility was to kick goals. Richardson started playing in 1993. Up until 2004 there were eight Coleman Medalists that kicked a hundred or more goals. Even in years where they didn't crack a tonne the tallies were still very high by today's standards. Since Riewodlt has been playing however only one player has scored over a hundred goals. IF we ignore the whole Richmond was complete crap thing (which isn't completely true - apart from a couple of bad seasons it was the era of the mighty (Ninth)mond, with a third and fourth finishes thrown in for good measure. The wheels only truly began to fall off in 2002) you got to ask yourself the question where would Riewoldt now stand in the game if he had played in the age of the pure full forward.

At present he has a tally of 631 goals. With his smarts, his marking, his leading, his durability and his accuracy he easily could have been a member of the 1000 goal club. Certainly he would have given Jack Titus a run for his money. Yep playing for Richmond probably wouldn't have helped, just like it didn't help Richardson especially in the last half of his career. But I just look at him as a package and just think 'wow' what would the record books be saying about him if he had played as a stay at home one on one full forward. But that said, yeah the uncatchable, unstoppable running and marking machine Richardson would have been an amazing addition to this side.

Richo for me. The deciding factor for me is that when i tried to identify what would be their "Prime", For Richo i found myself sorting through 6 different season that range evenly over 15 years. I also think Richo had to achieve all his success in a club that was totally dysfunctional, inept and 90% of his past teammates were average to below average in talent. If Richo was in his prime in this current version of Richmond, i dare say he would have eventually learned how to kick straight.

Different players of opposite eras so it’s hard to choose.
Richo blead yellow and black and kept kids of my generation coming to the footy even though we’d get picked on at school for following the tigers
Nothing made me cry more in 2017 than Richo presenting the cup.
As much as I love Jack.
Richo everyday ending in y

Both wonderful players. Imagine Richo in today's game.

I would however take Jack for two reasons: footy smarts and kicking. To win the big games you need accurate kicking (a most undervalued statistic)

Richo for me. The deciding factor for me is that when i tried to identify what would be their "Prime", For Richo i found myself sorting through 6 different season that range evenly over 15 years. I also think Richo had to achieve all his success in a club that was totally dysfunctional, inept and 90% of his past teammates were average to below average in talent. If Richo was in his prime in this current version of Richmond, i dare say he would have eventually learned how to kick straight.
Georgie says hi...

No-one in their right mind can say Richo is a better footballer then Jack. Richo holds the hearts of more of us but from a pure footballing perspective Jack is the better player.

don't really agree with this, Richo was a way more imposing forward, jack plays different, like i said in a different post it is to hard to tell since Richo played in a crap team for most of his career.

Richo and its not even close. Richo in todays game would be close to the equivalent of what Dusty is for us. You could put him anywhere and the opposition would have no answer for him. The ability to win the footy/contest is greater than any other attribute a player can have and of the two Richo was far superior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richo with our current midfield would’ve absolutely licked his lips at the prospect of fantastic delivery.

The amount of times I saw the bloke burst on the lead have a good distance from his defender and have the ball hit him on the half volley was ridiculous.

Richo was the most elite of contested marking I have seen. He would clunk marks strongly when he was double and triple teamed and that was in the days when defenders could scrap, grab and pull a lot more than now.

Richo kicked 800 goals in an extremely mediocre era. The amount of finals he ended up playing showed how well he performed in such a crappy side.

If Richo played in a side that was top 4 for 3 years straight, finals in another 3-4 he would’ve kicked 900-1000 imo.

don't really agree with this, Richo was a way more imposing forward, jack plays different, like i said in a different post it is to hard to tell since Richo played in a crap team for most of his career.

I watched a game with Richo on the weekend against the Pies in 97. Classic Friday night game. Richo was a great footballer, read the ball in the air so well, athleticism was unmatched but so many times in every game there were moments he really blew opportunities. I feel Jack is a killer where Richo had so many nearly moments. Yes the teams make a big difference I do agree with that! Our team now would blow those teams out of the water.

Controversial question - how would Richo have gone adapting to our selfless and self-sacrificing game style?
Probably just fine but he did play in an era where it was little more about individual brilliance....

it was the way it was back then ...

Richo had got very good at spotting up Brad Ottens , the year before Brad left

and thankfully Brad was a good shot for goal :)

I'm not saying Richo wasn't a team player, but I always felt he had a presence & commanded the ball too much, we were always Richo centric & never used other options.

That's why it's Jack for me, I also think he is a better leader.

There was a reason for that. Who were the other options? Ben Holland, Troy Simmonds, Matty Rogers???

Richo with our current midfield would’ve absolutely licked his lips at the prospect of fantastic delivery.

The amount of times I saw the bloke burst on the lead have a good distance from his defender and have the ball hit him on the half volley was ridiculous.

Richo was the most elite of contested marking I have seen. He would clunk marks strongly when he was double and triple teamed and that was in the days when defenders could scrap, grab and pull a lot more than now.

Richo kicked 800 goals in an extremely mediocre era. The amount of finals he ended up playing showed how well he performed in such a crappy side.

If Richo played in a side that was top 4 for 3 years straight, finals in another 3-4 he would’ve kicked 900-1000 imo.

Absolutely would’ve kicked a mass amount of goals more than he did had he played in a great team, at least 20 goals a season more. I’d further go on to say that because he tried so hard to get Richmond over the line he over extended himself (and Richmond overextended him) many times and was injured in the process, today he would’ve been nursed and back the proper way. I feel for him because he bled Richmond, tried his hardest and his frustration showed, we loved him for it because he felt what we were all feeling at the time, be it right or wrong.
Nothing taken away from jack though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back