Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your own research.
It’s a known fact that the state of South Australian pays more per KW an hour usage in this country than any other state.
I agree that SA electricity prices are the most expensive but I dont believe the reported figures in the media of the gap with other markets in the National Energy Market. And the SA has the highest electricity prices in the world is complete bullshit as per my previous post. Yes I have figures for some Pacific Island nations.

Here is a report from the AFR - one of the supposed higher journalistic standards dated May 2017. I read this in 2017 and knew it was bullshit because to this day I have never been charged more than 40.x cents per kilowatt hour, before GST and discounts and 2 years ago it was about 38 cents.

And it also continues the myth that SA has the highest prices in the world. The world is the world, not 20 or 30 most developed nations. A lot of small nations are paying between 50 US cents and $1 USD per Kw/hr.

Australian households pay highest power prices in world

Australian residential customers are paying the highest electricity prices in the world - two to three times more than American households - but experts say they need more than information to navigate the thicket of discounts and offers.

South Australian households are paying the highest prices in the world at 47.13¢ per kilowatt hour, more than Germany, Denmark and Italy which heavily tax energy, after the huge increases on July 1, Carbon + Energy Markets' MarkIntell data service says. When the eastern states' National Electricity Market was formed in the late 1990s, Australia had the lowest retail prices in the world along with the United States and Canada, CME director Bruce Mountain said.
NSW households typically pay 39.1¢/KWh - hard on Italy's heels - while Queensland and Victoria's typical retail charges of 34-7c-35.7c/KWh exceed those in all but the four or five most expensive European countries, the MarkIntell data shows.

When taxes are excluded, the four Australian NEM states are the costliest residential electricity in the world. American households - which benefit from a large market and cheap and abundant natural gas - pay just US12.5c/KWh (15.75¢), the US Energy Information Administration says.

1571834415046.png

Mr Mountain said power bills are constructed in such a complex way that ordinary customers without sophisticated spreadsheet and analytical skills have little hope of analysing competing offers to work out which offers them the best deal.

Private comparison websites do not include all market offers and charge retailers for switching customers, while the websites offered by the Australian Energy Regulator and the Victorian government do not provide the tools customers need to discriminate among offers.

These guys and the Oz medis would say Alex Rance was impassible at full back, despite the fact Collingwood kicking 15 goals 10.

The world atlas guys who I believe take data from CIA World Factbook isn't 100% accurate but it gives good info. The AFR article uses AUD, the world atlas list uses USD.

The type of electricity used varies from country to country. While some countries rely heavily on renewable energy sources such as hydropower, wind power, or solar power, some countries still use a large amount of coal energy. The consumer cost of electricity is dependent on a variety of factors including access to energy sources, local tariffs, and the privitization of resources. The Pacific island nation of Solomon Islands has the highest electricity cost in the world, at a staggering 99 US cents per kilowatt hour. The other countries with high energy prices are primarily tropical islands like Vanuatu, the US Virgin Islands, the Cook Islands, and Tonga. Some European countries such as Germany, Denmark, and Belgium also experience high electricity costs.

High Costs in Tropical Islands
The Soloman Islands are relatively secluded in the Pacific Ocean, around 1,000 km from their closest neighbor of Vanuatu. The country's population of around 599,000 suffer from frequent power outages and very expensive electricity costs. Diesel power is the most type of energy used in the country, which results in costs as high as one US dollar per kilowatt hour.

In the Soloman Island's distant neighbor of Vanuatu, things are not much better. In Vanuatu, nearly 3/4 of all homes do not have any access to electricity. Although Vanuatu has a grid electricity system in place, government taxes make the cost of electricity prohibitively expensive. Many residents are often given no choice but to resort to fire hazards like kerosene lamps.

On the other side of the globe in the Caribbean Sea, the US Virgin Islands suffers from a high electricity cost. On an island where electricity prices can reach 0.51 US cents per kilowatt-hour, there is always the added risk of a natural disaster such as a hurricane knocking the power out of commission. There are currently plans in place to construct a more functional power grid on the island.

Which Country Pays the Most For Electricity?
The Pacific island nation of Solomon Islands has the highest electricity cost in the world, at a staggering 99 US cents per kilowatt hour. The other countries with high energy prices are primarily tropical islands like Vanuatu, the US Virgin Islands, the Cook Islands, and Tonga. Some European countries such as Germany, Denmark, and Belgium also experience high electricity costs.

RankCountryUS Dollar Cents Per Kilowatt Hour
1Solomon Islands99.0
2Vanuatu60.0
3United States Virgin Islands51.9
4Cook Islands50.2
5Tonga47.0
6Jamaica44.7
7Niue44.3
8Marshall Islands41.6
9Tuvalu36.6
10Germany35.0
11Denmark33.0
12Kiribati32.7
13Belgium29.1
14Netherlands28.9
15Italy28.4

Last edited:

"PORT ADELAIDE and China-based partner Mr Gui have celebrated another successful year of partnership with the exchange of a unique piece of jewellery that highlights the club’s new logo."

RAA were an official travel agent for the game, recognised by the AFL. I'm not sure how they used St Kilda, as I didn't read their ads, but they could not avoid mentioning them and having their symbols and pictures as part of the advertising for the game.

The RAA did not have any ads featuring images of Port players, at least none that I saw, it was all St Kilda. Where does it make business sense for either the RAA or the AFL to advertise to a South Australian market exclusively using images of Victorian players? I would have thought the RAA's market was predominantly in South Australia and predominantly Port supporters.

The 2020 Shanghai promotion is consistent across the travel sites I have visited and is probably an AFL approved promotional image.

1571865183245.png

Looks like Parmalat will get publicity into 2020. I note that St Kilda have Dare on their guernsey.

Last edited:

Lol at REH subtlety referencing the Opel as sponsor meme.
Not quite. Opel are now owned by Peugeot. GM in Detroit sold Opel out to them in February 2017, didn't give a stuff it was Holden's replacement for the Commodore in Oz. I was referencing GM in Detroit and GM-SAIC in Shanghai.

"PORT ADELAIDE and China-based partner Mr Gui have celebrated another successful year of partnership with the exchange of a unique piece of jewellery that highlights the club’s new logo."

Very average quality piece of jewellery for my liking. Surprised it is not gold but probably a reason for it.

Very average quality piece of jewellery for my liking. Surprised it is not gold but probably a reason for it.
I like it. Teal on the outside border would wear off. Solid silver would be a winner at the dinner table in Shanghai for Mr. Gui Guojie.

“How do I get one, Mr. Gui?”

“You become a partner of Port Adelaide Football Club, Premier Li.”

“How much?”

“US$888,888 per annum plus expenses to pay for a second match in Shanghai each year.”

“I’ll get one for each member of the Politburo. They will love the Prison Bars.”

I like it. Teal on the outside border would wear off. Solid silver would be a winner at the dinner table in Shanghai for Mr. Gui Guojie.

“How do I get one, Mr. Gui?”

“You become a partner of Port Adelaide Football Club, Premier Li.”

“How much?”

“US$888,888 per annum plus expenses to pay for a second match in Shanghai each year.”

“I’ll get one for each member of the Politburo. They will love the Prison Bars.”
LOL

Sinopec is now a Gold Official Match Partner, just below Shanghai CRED at the Platinum level and above Penfolds at the Silver level. The sponsorship page has also shifted back to the Port website rather than being located on the Shanghai 2020 page (it was on the Shanghai 2019 page last year).

November is summit month, and The Weekend Oz is reporting that Morrison is attending the East Asia summit and as early as tomorrow could meet Chinese #2 leader, Premier Li Keqiang who Andrew Hunter managed to get a Port scarf around his neck for the Rd 1 2017 v Sydney game at the SCG and then PM Turnbull gave him a swans scarf which he also put around his neck ( and the craw was seen trying to put the Port one in a more dominate position).

I wonder if ScoMo will present him with a Cronulla scarf, or his favourite, a Cronulla cap.

The Sunday Mail has a story on page 2 about SA's Federal Trade Minister Senator Simon Birmingham going to China for trade talks to a China trade expo.

South Australia’s most senior federal politician will fly to China this coming week, amid growing tensions, in a bid to bolster exports to the nation’s largest trade partner.Federal Trade Minister Simon Birmingham has told the Sunday Mail he is confident South Australia can further boost its exports to China, which now takes $2.7 billion of the state’s produce each year.

But he has acknowledged ongoing challenges as a US-China trade war continues to threaten Australia’s links with the eastern superpower. Senator Birmingham admitted there were “impacts across the globe” from the trade war in terms of slower economic growth. His visit follows a trade mission by South Australian Premier Steven Marshall last month in which medicines and energy were discussed as growth industries for SA.

Speaking ahead of a trip to a China trade expo on Tuesday, Senator Birmingham said he was confident about SA’s trading future with China.This week, Prime Minister Scott Morrison once again condemned China’s mass detention and surveillance of Uighurs and other Muslim minorities in Xinjiang, after copping backlash from Beijing.Senator Birmingham acknowledged the tensions but pointed out Australia had had human rights dialogue with China for many years.

First I had to check if $2.7bil was all exports or just agriculture exports. This DFAT fact sheet on SA exports confirms its all goods exported.

Australia's total exports of goods to China was $118bil in 2018, dominated by WA's export of $51bil iron ore exports and Australia exports $17bil of services to China.

SA #1 services exports is education services exports income from all nations of $1.6bil and all of Oz exports $32.4bil of which $11.7bil education related services is from China. #2 services exports is personal travel excluding education is $0.821bil of a total of $21.58bil of which $4.121bil personal travel is from China exports. See details at

There is a graphic in the story that lists a few of the primary production exports and increases since 2015-16

Red wine $777.027m 439% increase - Which makes up about 28% of goods exported to China from SA
Greasy wool $86.594m 127% increase
Fresh navel oranges $18.111m 522% increase
Grape Juice $1.529m 124% increase

The club has signed a few deals with wine companies, got Penfolds and others as backers of the China game and concentrated on developing the Education links. They have gone down the right path it seems, just haven't signed big deals with players in these 2 fields yet.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Something greater than sport": What is Port Adelaide really doing in China?
FOOTBALL

SPECIAL FEATURE | While AFL clubs around the country focus on honing their playing lists and coaching panels, Port Adelaide this morning made a key back-room appointment that could turn out to be the biggest signing of its off-season. Could a Chinese-born diplomat who has never set foot at Alberton hold the key to the club’s financial future? Tom Richardson finds out.

While the football media’s attention was on the smattering of young players who returned to the club to kick off pre-season training this week, the most significant signing of Port Adelaide’s off-season could prove to be the one that took place in Shanghai just this morning.

Zhang Tao (or Tony Zhang, in the anglicised version) is a career diplomat who has managed Austrade’s Qingdao office in Shandong Province and served as a Trade Commissioner at the Australian Embassy in Beijing, overseeing financial services, mining, energy and food and beverage.

In 2009 he was appointed as the NSW government’s Commissioner of Trade and Investment in Shanghai, charged with attracting billions of dollars of investment into Sydney and forging close ties with Chinese government at all levels.

His presentation to the board next month will be the first time he’s set foot inside an AFL club.

Andrew Hunter: The essence of [today’s] occasion will be for us to talk about the progress that’s been made over the last four years, specifically in respect to our last year’s financial result, where we returned about half a million dollars to the club’s bottom line. And that’s allowing us to, for the first time, put somebody on the ground in China in a full-time, commercially-oriented role, so that we can accelerate the really positive conversations we’re having at the moment.

https://indaily.com.au/sport/footba...-what-is-port-adelaide-really-doing-in-china/

FOOTBALL

SPECIAL FEATURE | While AFL clubs around the country focus on honing their playing lists and coaching panels, Port Adelaide this morning made a key back-room appointment that could turn out to be the biggest signing of its off-season. Could a Chinese-born diplomat who has never set foot at Alberton hold the key to the club’s financial future? Tom Richardson finds out.

While the football media’s attention was on the smattering of young players who returned to the club to kick off pre-season training this week, the most significant signing of Port Adelaide’s off-season could prove to be the one that took place in Shanghai just this morning.

Zhang Tao (or Tony Zhang, in the anglicised version) is a career diplomat who has managed Austrade’s Qingdao office in Shandong Province and served as a Trade Commissioner at the Australian Embassy in Beijing, overseeing financial services, mining, energy and food and beverage.

In 2009 he was appointed as the NSW government’s Commissioner of Trade and Investment in Shanghai, charged with attracting billions of dollars of investment into Sydney and forging close ties with Chinese government at all levels.

His presentation to the board next month will be the first time he’s set foot inside an AFL club.

Andrew Hunter: The essence of [today’s] occasion will be for us to talk about the progress that’s been made over the last four years, specifically in respect to our last year’s financial result, where we returned about half a million dollars to the club’s bottom line. And that’s allowing us to, for the first time, put somebody on the ground in China in a full-time, commercially-oriented role, so that we can accelerate the really positive conversations we’re having at the moment.

https://indaily.com.au/sport/footba...-what-is-port-adelaide-really-doing-in-china/
About time. We couldn't continue to do this FIFO stuff. Need a GM China who lives there and speaks the language.

What does the role entail?
So at the moment, we have a small team and we execute the game, but we’re also doing business development – which is the reason why Port Adelaide is involved in China.

We’ve had some success at that, and we’re building an extremely strong foundation now. We have some very strong partners: Shanghai CRED, Jincheng Group, PwC, the University of Adelaide… we’re profitable, and we’re returning a substantial amount of money to the club’s bottom line.

That said, we’ve got a really strong pipeline at the moment and we have a very acute awareness of where the business development opportunities are. And we believe that putting somebody on the ground in China with a familiarity and the capacity to follow up on conversations with greater regularity than having somebody such as myself travel to China every six weeks or so will accelerate and fully realise and maximise the potential of what we’ve assiduously built over the past four years.

We believe we’ve got the perfect person for us… not someone with a football pedigree [but] somebody who was born and raised in China, but with a very strong understanding of the Australian context because he’s worked in a commercial position previously for the Australian government. So he’s very familiar with both the Chinese and Australian context, very familiar with the Chinese and Australia mindset… but also if someone understands Australia, they do understand the role that sport can play.We’re not selling sporting assets in China, which I think is one of the reasons why there has been some confusion around what Port Adelaide is doing, and the level of success that we may have had.We’re essentially using the power of sport in Australian society to provide business solutions to Chinese companies that are active in Australia.

Hunter in China today with Zhang and the club’s executive partnerships manager Xu Nuo.

1573009185408.png

FOOTBALL

First class news from the PAFC and credit to those involved.

This seems to be very exciting news.

Not only the appointment LR has been calling for but the $500k added to the bottom line.

I will await those who know more to decipher the spin but on first glance it looks very promising.

China really does have the potential to be the tool to wrest back control of our club (and much more).

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Reading this a second time it looks like he has an all government background. The article leaves it open as to whether he has been working for NSW government since 2009 and is still there or has been doing other stuff, for how long and is it with a business organization.

Zhang Tao (or Tony Zhang, in the anglicised version) is a career diplomat who has managed Austrade’s Qingdao office in Shandong Province and served as a Trade Commissioner at the Australian Embassy in Beijing, overseeing financial services, mining, energy and food and beverage. In 2009 he was appointed as the NSW government’s Commissioner of Trade and Investment in Shanghai, charged with attracting billions of dollars of investment into Sydney and forging close ties with Chinese government at all levels.

Having worked for Austrade Qingdao office in Shandong Province, means he would have been known to SA government officials as SA has had a sister city/state relationship with Qingdao/Shandong Province since 1986 and state governments work thru Austrade offices in those sister city/state relationships.

So whilst Austrade is more involved in business than other government bodies, I don't know how commercial this guy really is. Will be a s**t load better than having nobody on the ground. Thoughts Lockhart Road.

Ok he is still working for NSW government until signing up with us.

China – Shanghai
NSW Government Trade & Investment office
Unit 4303, CITIC Square
1168 Nanjing Road West
Shanghai, 200041 China

Mr Tony Zhang, Trade & Investment Commissioner – North and East China
Tony Zhang

Phone: +86 21 5292 5561
Email: tony.zhang@sydneyaustralia.com.cn

The club's take on Tony Zhang's appointment

Port Adelaide's China profit allows for "feet on the ground"

PORT ADELAIDE’s China engagement will take another step forward with the club to have a permanent staff member in Shanghai in 2020 – the year of the club’s 150th anniversary.

Tony Zhang will become the club’s Chief Representative in China. Zhang has rich experience, having worked as a Trade Commissioner for Austrade, and then also has the Head of the NSW Representative Office in China, for a decade.

The announcement was made to coincide with the opening of Australia House on Wednesday by the Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, Simon Birmingham. Zhang’s appointment comes after the club was able to report a profit from its China engagement strategy in its fourth year in the region.

“We made around half-a-million-dollar profit from our commercial activities China. We have built a strong foundation in China, with significant long-term partners such as CRED, Jincheng Group, PwC and The University of Adelaide,” said Port Adelaide’s General Manager – China Engagement, Andrew Hunter.
Then a lot of straight quotes from Indaily article and a bit of history and finishes off with this;

On 30 March this year, Minister Birmingham announced in the new Festival of Australia concept, which included the annual AFL game in Shanghai. The game, delivered by a Joint Venture between the AFL and Port Adelaide Football Club, is now an annual fixture.

Next year will see the fourth in-season AFL match to be played in China. It will once again feature Port Adelaide and St Kilda, and played at Jiangwan Stadium in Shanghai’s Yangpu District on Sunday, 31 May.

The match will once again be the last event on the Festival of Australia program, and will be supported by the Commonwealth Government through an agreement Austrade and DFAT.

Last edited:
Tony Zhang's linkedin page

Did an international business degree at University of International Business and Economics in Beijing in early to mid 1990's. Worked for State Owned Enterprise Minmetals Group a minerals trading company as a business development manager for just over a year in Beijing. Went and got an MBA at University of Massachusetts and stayed in US for 2.5 years working for what looks like an ITC company in Boston. Start of 2002 moves to Sydney and works for China Council for the Promotion of International Trade Office. 2004-07 works for Austrade in Shandong. 2007-09 was Trade Commissioner at Australian Embassy in Beijing then got the gig as NSW Trade and Investment Commissioner based in Shanghai.
https://www.linkedin.com/search/res...romotion of International Trade Sydney Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back