Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing against you coops but I have zero faith in us landing anyone that good. Recent history has shown we just can’t get these types of deals done.
This will change as we start winning more games. More success will translate into more players wanting to come. More players wanting to come will likely result in greater chance of getting one through the door. Remember, Papely is the first, and only, player who has wanted to come that we failed to get done. Martin, we will likely get anyway, and the Essendon bloke, who we missed out on, well, he didn't want to come.

I’m sick of all this trade talk. It’s just endless speculation and flagellation. We have another month of it before some of us get put out of our misery!
Why is the draft being held on 27 November? Bring it forward!

Newnes wants to play for Carlton

Just saw this on Twitter ...

I know I know it's Tom Browne ...

“It’s basically been confirmed to me overnight [that] Saints wingman Jack Newnes will definitely get a career lifeline at Carlton,” Browne said.

“I think that deal was formally stitched up yesterday.
“He’ll go there as a delisted free agent or a restricted free agent and they’ll get him for nothing.”

Its a shame the papley and Martin trades fell over...having committed ourselves to them meant we missed on Ellis and butler. These would have been handy players too. Not much sos could have done..we were committed to the others. Hopefully we can acquire Martin through psd. Pap seems a bit of a dream for next year.
Taking average players so that you can say that you were active in trade week us a doomed strategy. Overpaying for the likes of Ellis compound the sins.

Think we need to get better at determining what the motivating factor is for some of these free agents/prime targets.

Seems we missed the mark with Shiel because we thought rolling out the red carpet would convince him to choose us, when he placed more value in having an honest conversation with some of the senior players about where they saw the team being at. Maybe he/they got it wrong, but we clearly didn't strike the right cord with him.

Coniglio, if he is to be believed, was never leaving GWS but just "doing his due diligence" and, most likely, padding out his contract offer from the Giants. That's something, if we'd been on to, would have saved us a heap of time, effort and fan angst.

It's a limited snapshot, but it's something we should learn from. What is Grundy's motivator? Money, security, success, culture, post-career opps? Work it which one makes him tick and find the best way to sell us as the best destination for that aim. If it's money, maybe a shorter, but more heavily front-loaded contract will do the job. Security, maybe it's a 6 year deal with triggers for an extra 2, but on a lower total salary. Success, he needs to see the strategies that have been put in place and he needs to meet with some of our other top end players who can convince him they'll win flags together. Maybe he's an arrogant w***er and the jet will actually impress him. You all get the idea.
A few people have espoused the "rolling out the red carpet" rubbish for shiel. I am extremely confident that the actuality was that he (mistakenly) saw * as ready to challenge and closer to a flag than us after a 2 win season.
Its en error that he will have plenty of time to think about.

There’s not many good list managers in the league. Sos is one of the best. What happens if he leaves and we end up with someone like Justin Reid??
There will be a long line of list managers outside our box at Marvel during trade week waiting to take a ticket and be the next to deal with Reid. It will resemble one of those legitimate Thai (no sex allowed :rolleyes::rolleyes:) massage parlor when the US 5th fleet arrives into port.

Newnes wants to play for Carlton

At this point, you assume it would be DFA. Which would be a good get.

Borderline best 22. At worst provides depth, at best a decent wing option or even HBF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The injury argument isn't a lazy one at all. Only 1 ruckman in the seniors, so the initial response would be "Get the best one". But the impact to the side should that one player go down is huge given the lack of depth, and therefore it's a big portion of the salary cap spent trying to strengthen a very vulnerable part of the list. I'd rather have 2-3 budget ruckman who are almost interchangable, and then spend an extra $600k improving a few other positions on the field, as it reduces the impact of injuries when you're less reliant on individual players.

Think how vulnerable our side was in the early part of the rebuild - there was a "Cripps or bust" mentality which was well justified. We've started to get past that now (evidenced by some really gritty wins without the great man) because we've been able to spread the responsibility across a handful of other players. Better for the side if we continue down that path as much as possible.

Cogs wasn't a departure from that, as we would simply have been using banked cap space as a functional signing bonus, and outside that he would have been on a modest $700k salary. Once the auction for Grundy heats up, I expect he'll land somewhere on a deal that works out at $1.1mil per season for 6-7 years. Say we can cheat $1mil of that with our banked space, it's still $6.7mil over 7 years. As F_therest suggested - that money is better spent on Williams and Papley helps to bolster multiple positions on the field, and being on shorter contracts we have flexibility to renegotiate in 4 years rather than being committed for 7.

And as you pointed out - the bloke is 27. Sure, he could still be playing in 7 years. But look at Jacobs, Goldstein, Mumford - any of them justifying more than a modest salary these days?
I'm sorry, Bluey, I just don't put any value in the potential injury argument. The one caveat to that would be if the player has been injury prone in the past, then in which case 100% it's a factor. Grundy has been durable, so it's not a factor for me in this thought process. As for suitable backups, I thought that's what we recruited Pittonet for? TDK to me should get some time next year as well, so he'd be more than suitable. So it's fine afaic.

Why can we not front load Brodies contract like we were going to with Cogs? I don't understand why we can't.

Taking average players so that you can say that you were active in trade week us a doomed strategy. Overpaying for the likes of Ellis compound the sins.
Butler would have been a good get though imo. Just because he couldn’t crack tiggies forward line doesn’t really mean he is an average player. They just have too many of these types.

If the Suns want 9, we go 15(2019), 11(2020) and they delist Martin. We send 2020 2nd back.
I reckon it'd have to be even more in our favour for us to consider it - especially with the bad faith they dealt up in the trade period.

My first response would actually be identical to tcp i.e. gfy. But if they insisted, I'd say - look, we were going to take him for nothing. But if we can come out wayy ahead, then maybe we'll talk.

Pick 9 for Pick 15 and 2020 mid-first round, period.

But if we're keen on a guy in that 8-10 range then I'd be inclined to revert to response 1.

On Newnes... I'd have given up a pick in the 35-50 range at the draft for him (Saints did offer him a 2 year deal after all) so if we're grabbing him and Martin as DFAs on top of Betts and Pittonet for a grand total of 2/3 of SFA, then the narrative of our off-season will change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back