Up the Coasters West Coast Eagles - Best Ever Games (The Game)

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoy all the gifs. :p

If there are any fu** ups in there, I'll check later... my god that was nerve wracking ensuring I didn't lose anything (particularly having to split the write up into two posts).

Next up is #4... TY24

Super stuff. Took me back to the '92 excitement for sure!

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
How is anyone supposed to top that! Loved the gifs.

It’s probably my most watched game not sure I’ll ever be able to catch up all the Sunday mornings watching it on VHS waiting for my folks to wake up.

I figured for at least my first write up, I had to go all out (especially since it was my idea). The next game won't be as hardcore. :p

And I'm the same. Watched that game over and over in my younger days but hadn't sat down to watch in full for a fair while. Was good to just go through the whole game, pausing, cutting clips and taking notes and really absorb it all again.

That Sumich goal just before half time is hideously underrated as is his 6 goals (and one given to Matera) in a tight, low scoring slug. He was the boss that whole finals series. Amazing write up.

Sumich was Mr September. His finals record is bonkers.

Play by play gifs for an entire Grand Final.

tumblr_o95ds9hpLT1rl3565o9_250.gif

Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
As mentioned earlier, thread is delivering 😍

That was an absolute masterpiece jorel6669, just brilliant!

I was 5 years old in 92 so unfortunately have no recollection of the game, but from what I know I was glued to the tv with family just as pretty much the whole state was.

It sounds strange, but watching the match all these years later despite having not “seen” it live, I can feel the sense of expectation, nerves and then ultimate pride and sheer joy as history was made. I can only imagine what it was like at the time.

1992 still stands as the Number 1 moment for our great club IMO. As much as 2018 was amazing (and my personal favourite), what was achieved on that day is unrivalled. An amazing team, I truly wish I could have experienced and seen them at their peak :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Also as an aside, for those that can recall, what was the lead up like for the first final? I can only imagine the intensity and pressure that Mick and the group were under. A cut throat final versus our tormentors from the year prior. Despite having “aged” further, they were still an imposing opponent.

I found that to be such an intense game also, going behind early and having to dig in and scrap for the full game. Funnily enough, maybe that game is what set up the flag. We were as battle hardened and ready as could be after that.

Also as an aside, for those that can recall, what was the lead up like for the first final? I can only imagine the intensity and pressure that Mick and the group were under. A cut throat final versus our tormentors from the year prior. Despite having “aged” further, they were still an imposing opponent.

I found that to be such an intense game also, going behind early and having to dig in and scrap for the full game. Funnily enough, maybe that game is what set up the flag. We were as battle hardened and ready as could be after that.

I don't have a specific recollection of the build up to that game but i remember the lead in to the whole finals the buzz and hub-bub just grew and grew.

The gestalt, psychological force of the bulk of Western Australia propelled the boys along, I have no doubt. The way the whole city was galvanised probably spelled the impending demise of the NBL as a sporting force on par with footy and cricket.

#4 - 2011 Second Semi Final vs Carlton
Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
The scene? Pattersons Stadium, as it was then known.
The time? Saturday September 17, 5.50pm.
The occasion? Second Semi-Final
The teams? West Coast Eagles v. Chris Judd FC Carlton

23e100989284c9b5ac9e0cb6380b8d45.jpg

LINE-UPS:

WEST COAST EAGLES:
B: S. Hurn D. Glass (c) B. Waters
HB: S. Butler E. Mackenzie A. Embley
C: L. Shuey M. Priddis A. Gaff
HF: M. LeCras J. Kennedy M. Nicoksi
F: J. Darling Q. Lynch D. Kerr
FOL: N. Naitanui A. Selwood S. Selwood
I/C: C. Masten W. Schofield D. Cox P. McGinnity (sub, GOAT)

CARLTON:

B: M. Davies M. Jamison J. Laidler
HB: C. Yarran B. Thornton N.Duigan
C: K. Simpson M. Robinson D. Armfield
HF: J. Garlett L. Henderson A. Carrazzo
F: E. Betts S. O'Hailpin A. Walker
FOL: R. Warnock C. Judd (c) M. Murphy
I/C H. Scotland A. Joseph D. Ellard Z. Touhy (sub)

2011 was a strange old season for West Coast. The year before we had achieved the honours of winning our inaugural wooden spoon. We can blame that on ICEHOUSE lead singer Ben Cousins and his ring mates for tearing the club apart from the inside though. Following our spoon, we found ourselves up against Carlton, an equally surprising finals candidate due to the fact that they've been s**t forever. Carlton were being led by a familar face to us West Coast faithful; former West Coast premiership captain and Brownlow Medallist Chris Judd, who at this point in his career was carrying an extra 5kg in playing weight just from the amount of tape on his shoulders.

This was a see-sawing affair which never saw the margin exceed 23 points either way, with Carlton kicking the first 4 goals of the game to assume a 23 point lead early in the 1st quarter. At this point it felt like Carlton were in cruise control and an upset victory looked on the cards. Josh Kennedy looked like he would be out of the game in the first quarter with illness, we were 4 goals down and getting absolutely belted out of the middle, it wasn't looking great for the lads.

Matt Priddis would win a free kick from a i50 stoppage and kick our only goal for the opening term as we went into quarter time down, but far from out at 1.3.9 v 4.1.25.

405954-tlslargeportrait.jpg

At this point, 12 year old me was being bullied by all my other mates at the party I was at because we were losing. No good for 12 year old Tyler.

The Coasters came out fired up and booted the first three goals of the second quarter in a flash, with Nicoski (2) and Lynch (1) putting 3 goals on the board in 2 minutes to level things at 27 a piece. From here on in, the game would be an arm wrestle. West Coast wouldn't relinquish the lead for the remainder of the game, but Carlton were able to level the scores twice. The West Coast forward line was on fire, with Kennedy, Darling and Nicoski all kicking 3. A rare goal from would-be skipper Shannon Hurn also helped get the lads over the line. One of the highlights of the first half was undoubtedly cult hero Dean Cox launching a vital goal from the arc, sending Pattersons into raptures.
Dean+Cox+AFL+First+Semi+Final+West+Coast+v+tNueMsuv5xDl.jpg

The game boiled down to one of the most epic last quarters seen in modern footy. West Coast entered the final term with a slender 9 point lead, but the two teams would trade goals for the first half of the quarter. Then, Carlton seemingly hit the wall and West Coast put the foot down, bursting out to a 21 point lead and seemingly putting the Blues to bed. The Blues however contuined to chip away and got themselves back to within a goal, but the siren was surely going to sound soon, right?

Wrong.

The quarter went on.

And on.

And on.

It was one of the longest last quarters on record, and thanks to Channel 10's 5 minute warning, no one knew when the siren would go. It was a guessing game and every second that ticked by felt like an hour. The last quarter culminated in a controversial non-call in the Carlton goal square, where I can definitely confirm that Andrew Walker DEFINITELY WASN'T BEING HELD.

Capture.PNG

This incident occurred during the 35th minute of the last quarter, 15 minutes into time on. The game would continue on well into the 36th minute before the siren finally went, with West Coast running out victors by 3 points in one of the most intense finals of the modern era.

Beau+Waters+Chris+Yarran+AFL+First+Semi+Final+4AmgY03w3_Jl.jpg

FINAL SCORE: West Coast Eagles 15.11.101 defeated Carlton 15.8.98

Pedals23 you're up

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Another shock selection! I should probably expect that not everyone would have been around for older games, though. :p Great write up, but I will correct you on one thing... Dockers have won a spoon and a good 9 years before we did!

I may have to re-watch this game. I forgot it was the old Channel Ten 5 minute warning and the last quarter took forever. Seemed like that happened far too often...

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Great choice, that game would have been one of my top 5 choices. The first final I was ever able to go to. Couldn't hear the final siren. Hugged some random next to me when we realised it was over. Incredible atmosphere!

TY24 said:
The year before we had achieved the honours of winning our inaugural wooden spoon, something not even the purple mob down the road had managed during their 17 year tenure in the league.

I do have to point out that Freo did indeed "win" the spoon back in 2001 and proceeded to trade away the draft picks later used on Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell :straining:

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Another shock selection! I should probably expect that not everyone would have been around for older games, though. :p Great write up, but I will correct you on one thing... Dockers have won a spoon and a good 9 years before we did!

I may have to re-watch this game. I forgot it was the old Channel Ten 5 minute warning and the last quarter took forever. Seemed like that happened far too often...
I chose it because it’s the first game I can vividly remember as tense, dramatic, edge of the seat stuff. Obviously that’s what the ‘06 flag would’ve been like but I was only 7 at the time so I don’t have a great recollection of watching it. But that final against Carlton is the first time I can remember feeling the sheer stress, anxiety and elation of a nail biting, high-stakes victory. Especially after the few seasons of pain we went through between 08-2010.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The scene? Pattersons Stadium, as it was then known.
The time? Saturday September 17, 5.50pm.
The occasion? Second Semi-Final
The teams? West Coast Eagles v. Chris Judd FC Carlton

View attachment 769658

LINE-UPS:

WEST COAST EAGLES:
B: S. Hurn D. Glass (c) B. Waters
HB: S. Butler E. Mackenzie A. Embley
C: L. Shuey M. Priddis A. Gaff
HF: M. LeCras J. Kennedy M. Nicoksi
F: J. Darling Q. Lynch D. Kerr
FOL: N. Naitanui A. Selwood S. Selwood
I/C: C. Masten W. Schofield D. Cox P. McGinnity (sub, GOAT)

CARLTON:

B: M. Davies M. Jamison J. Laidler
HB: C. Yarran B. Thornton N.Duigan
C: K. Simpson M. Robinson D. Armfield
HF: J. Garlett L. Henderson A. Carrazzo
F: E. Betts S. O'Hailpin A. Walker
FOL: R. Warnock C. Judd (c) M. Murphy
I/C H. Scotland A. Joseph D. Ellard Z. Touhy (sub)

2011 was a strange old season for West Coast. The year before we had achieved the honours of winning our inaugural wooden spoon, something not even the purple mob down the road had managed during their 17 year tenure in the league. We can blame that on ICEHOUSE lead singer Ben Cousins and his ring mates for tearing the club apart from the inside though. Following our spoon, we found ourselves up against Carlton, an equally surprising finals candidate due to the fact that they've been s**t forever. Carlton were being led by a familar face to us West Coast faithful; former West Coast premiership captain and Brownlow Medallist Chris Judd, who at this point in his career was carrying an extra 5kg in playing weight just from the amount of tape on his shoulders.

This was a see-sawing affair which never saw the margin exceed 23 points either way, with Carlton kicking the first 4 goals of the game to assume a 23 point lead early in the 1st quarter. At this point it felt like Carlton were in cruise control and an upset victory looked on the cards. Josh Kennedy looked like he would be out of the game in the first quarter with illness, we were 4 goals down and getting absolutely belted out of the middle, it wasn't looking great for the lads.

Matt Priddis would win a free kick from a i50 stoppage and kick our only goal for the opening term as we went into quarter time down, but far from out at 1.3.9 v 4.1.25.

View attachment 769672

At this point, 12 year old me was being bullied by all my other mates at the party I was at because we were losing. No good for 12 year old Tyler.

The Coasters came out fired up and booted the first three goals of the second quarter in a flash, with Nicoski (2) and Lynch (1) putting 3 goals on the board in 2 minutes to level things at 27 a piece. From here on in, the game would be an arm wrestle. West Coast wouldn't relinquish the lead for the remainder of the game, but Carlton were able to level the scores twice. The West Coast forward line was on fire, with Kennedy, Darling and Nicoski all kicking 3. A rare goal from would-be skipper Shannon Hurn also helped get the lads over the line. One of the highlights of the first half was undoubtedly cult hero Dean Cox launching a vital goal from the arc, sending Pattersons into raptures.
View attachment 769800

The game boiled down to one of the most epic last quarters seen in modern footy. West Coast entered the final term with a slender 9 point lead, but the two teams would trade goals for the first half of the quarter. Then, Carlton seemingly hit the wall and West Coast put the foot down, bursting out to a 21 point lead and seemingly putting the Blues to bed. The Blues however contuined to chip away and got themselves back to within a goal, but the siren was surely going to sound soon, right?

Wrong.

The quarter went on.

And on.

And on.

It was one of the longest last quarters on record, and thanks to Channel 10's 5 minute warning, no one knew when the siren would go. It was a guessing game and every second that ticked by felt like an hour. The last quarter culminated in a controversial non-call in the Carlton goal square, where I can definitely confirm that Andrew Walker DEFINITELY WASN'T BEING HELD.

View attachment 769817

This incident occurred during the 35th minute of the last quarter, 15 minutes into time on. The game would continue on well into the 36th minute before the siren finally went, with West Coast running out victors by 3 points in one of the most intense finals of the modern era.

View attachment 769819

FINAL SCORE: West Coast Eagles 15.11.101 defeated Carlton 15.8.98

Pedals23 you're up
I rewatched this game last weekend when someone on here reminded me of it. So good!

Kennedy was a beast. He actually received a fractured eye socket in the first 10 minutes which is why he nearly missed the rest of the game. Came back and kicked 3. It was also interesting to see how leaner he was then, I remember now that he bulked up significantly when Simmo came over (which made his career).

Darling and Gaff were amazing for first year players. Darling was an absolute man child, looks pretty much the same all these years later.

One minor correction, Freo won the spoon in 2001 (losers).

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I chose it because it’s the first game I can vividly remember as tense, dramatic, edge of the seat stuff. Obviously that’s what the ‘06 flag would’ve been like but I was only 7 at the time so I don’t have a great recollection of watching it. But that final against Carlton is the first time I can remember feeling the sheer stress, anxiety and elation of a nail biting, high-stakes victory. Especially after the few seasons of pain we went through between 08-2010.
Lol, I was 7 in 1992 and 21 in 2006. Your post makes me feel old.

#5 - 2017 First Elimination Final vs Port Adelaide

Pedals23

Team Captain
Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Prelude:
West Coast were coming off an incredible last second road win against the Giants, when they came up against 3-time reigning premier Hawthorn.

The Eagles were up by a million, all of our best players were playing well, everything was fine. Then it happened. Nic Naitanui, our marquee star, the face of the club, our most important player, was gone for at least 12 months with an ACL injury. The Eagles would rally with a big win against Adelaide, with Jonathon Giles dominating in the absence of Naitanui, before West Coast unceremoniously bowed out in an elimination final against the eventual premiers, the Western Bulldogs. the only thing crashing harder than the Eagles, was FKASC's firefox.

The Eagles would add Sam Mitchell, Nathan Vardy and Drew Petrie to their list in the off-season. This lead many to believe West Coast were topping up for another flag tilt. 13/17 journalists on afl.com put West Coast in the top 4, even knowing Naitanui wouldn't be playing for most of, if not the entire season. This did not eventuate.

West Coast were fielding the oldest team in the competition week in week out, but couldn't close out games. The Eagles choked a number of games away from big leads throughout the year, resulting in plentiful melts. Sack Simpson. Parto in. The Collingwood loss in round 18 was the worst of the lot, and the club, after folding, went into full damage control.

Ultimately, the Eagles finals hopes seemingly ended for good after a loss to the Giants in round 22. But, the very next week Melbourne choked against Collingwood. Finals were still possible, but it would require a four goal+ win over the minor premiers. Adelaide threw us a bone by resting Walker and Talia, it was a dead rubber for them after all, but the job still had to be done.

The game saw West Coast constantly flip between 8th and 9th, and even as high as 7th. Charlie Cameron kicked a goal late to send us back outside the eight. The Eagles needed a hero, and fortunately, we had two proven big stage performers in Lewis #jettawhatsthepoint and Jack Darling and a second round draft pick, to stand up for us and secure a September berth.
1571920289244.png

1571920371171.png

Never celebrate too early kids.

The win secured an elimination final against the biggest flat track bullies in the competition, Port Adelaide. This game is notable for being the last that Luke Partington would ever play in. This is the only reason why I chose this game. The teams that were named are listed below:
1571910471423.png

The Eagles would kick four first quarter goals to one, with Darling kicking two and Kennedy and Petrie both getting one each. Port had named a very young and inexperienced backline and were being punished. You could even say that they went too far the other way.

We would get three of the next four via Shuey, Darling again and Cripps early in the second quarter. The Eagles held a 31 point lead. What could possibly go wrong? But getting out to these leads wasn't the problem in 2017. The problem was holding them, and the Eagles wouldn't kick another goal until about midway through the fourth quarter, when that 31 point lead had become a 10 point deficit.

It was everybody's favourite player, 2014 Brownlow Medalist Matthew Priddis who ended the drought.
1571911772180.png

Drew Petrie would kick his second minutes later to recapture the lead. Boak missed two shots for goal in the dying minutes and scores were level.

One of the worst umpiring decisions of all time resulted in a Port free kick with about a minute left.
1571918171040.png

Deliberate my Brayden Ainsworth.

Port continued to push forward, trying to force through a score. It was Darcy Byrne-Jones who managed to get clean possession and send the ball long inside 50. Eric Mackenzie dropped a mark and had Dixon hot behind him in pursuit. Mackenzie had nowhere to go. He concedes a behind, and Port win. He runs out of bounds, it is deliberate and Port get a shot with seconds with any score enough to secure the game. He turns around to try and clear it, he gets caught holding the ball. There is no way he can possibly keep the Eagles alive. But he does. In a split-second, he finds the only way out, sending himself and the football into the behind post, disguising it so it appeared as if he wasn't trying to take it over. Good thing Basil doesn't even ******* acknowledge this play at all.
FlawedRapidGaur-size_restricted.gif

The clock slowly ticks down and for the first time in seven years, a final will be decided in extra time.

1571925938892.png

Imagine losing by 56 points in 10 minutes of extra time in a grand final.

After a less then ideal start where the Eagles are 13 points down, courtesy of two Port goals, Kennedy sneaks one back prior to the end of the first period of extra time.

Port hold a seven point lead. Wingard misses a shot. Vardy finds Kennedy all alone. Two points. Dixon and Boak both miss shots. Four points, but time is running out.

27 seconds. Forward stoppage. Another memorable quote by Basil.

As a certain former Eagle would say, "You ***** know what happened next."
1571926537641.png

giphy.gif

Football sure is a game of six quarters.

HoneyBadger35 you're up.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Just saw the date haha

Ah well.

Couple I remembered today:

Rd19 1992

West Coast def Geelong at Kardinia Park by 19 points.

I remember listening to this game on my little radio in the backyard. (Was very hard to get WCE games on radio into Adelaide back then)

I was so excited when we burst out of the blocks in the 1st qtr.

We led:

WCE 7.2
Geel 2.2

The cats came back a bit in the last but a Karl Langdon spinning goal from the boundary sealed it.

Great times.

And rd7 1993

Once again defeated Geelong at KP.

Just a great win.

Flick it to the 44 min mark for Matera magic!!

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back